The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Longfellow Place (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Every time I see the name "West End" that song pops in my head.......West End Girls. :)

^Ditto. And I'm a pretty big PSB fan.

^ soon as they round up a large enough protester control detail

Last edited:

Ok, it's been over two months since the last post on this. Is the Garden Garage getting imploded any time soon? .....I've got some leftover 4th of July pyrotechnics available to help..... Roman candles, M-60's, M-80's, Quarter Sticks, Cherry Bombs, bottle rockets, etc......let's get this moving. :)

Don't bump old threads. It's not anytime soon. Maybe next spring. Saying that with some [broad, but inside] knowledge.

Ok, it's been over two months since the last post on this. Is the Garden Garage getting imploded any time soon? .....I've got some leftover 4th of July pyrotechnics available to help..... Roman candles, M-60's, M-80's, Quarter Sticks, Cherry Bombs, bottle rockets, etc......let's get this moving. :)

Don't bump old threads. It's not anytime soon. Maybe next spring. Saying that with some [broad, but inside] knowledge.

Use the "What's Happening with Project X?" thread for info inquiries: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=5089&page=17

It's actually stickied at the top of the Development Projects forum.

Got it....still learning the rules.

No pic, but there is a large roll off dumpster outside the garage entrance filled. I asked a parking attendant and they said they are clearing out and taking down the bubble. He didn't have any info on garage demolition.

tumblr_n3dfwlPSL11rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

From 10/23 Goodbye Bubble

IMG_2321 by David Z, on Flickr

I don't know. You should look into it, it very well might supposed to be a public ROW.

Getting through the West End is really annoying, though... if you're trying to get straight through to MGH there's a zillion lefts and rights to make no matter what way you go in. Lots of blocked passages even for the pedestrian.

Hate to do this, but it's news:

https://twitter.com/SteveAdamsTweet/status/890620378820878336

Developer confirms this will NOT be breaking ground this year:

Rising construction costs and a slowdown in the luxury rental market may accomplish what neighborhood opposition could not: put the brakes on a 44-story apartment tower in Boston’s West End.

Developer Equity Residential is taking a wait-and-see attitude on development sites in coastal markets, CEO David Neithercut said.

“We’ve got some sites that we currently have in L.A. and in the Bay Area and in Boston that we could do something on but we’re not going to pursue those very aggressively at the current time,” Neithercut told analysts this week during a conference call to discuss the company’s second-quarter quarter earnings. “The teams continue to work on them, but we’ll just sort of see how things play out.”

Neithercut attributed the company’s cautious development outlook to rising construction costs and current yields.

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/2017/07/developer-raises-doubts-west-end-tower/

Luxury market is cooling down whereas the middle-income market remains hot. Unfortunately, Equity, like all developers, are not going to convert their plans to build middle-income housing and this is the exact reason why affordable housing supply will never meet the demand.

For everyone that still believes that building luxury condos/apartments would eventually lower the price of housing for the lower-middle class, this is exactly why it will never happen. Developers would rather sit and wait until the market rebounds than to build more affordable housing. The city needs to put more emphasis on affordable housing.

It seemed like they put the brakes on this some time ago.

For everyone that still believes that building luxury condos/apartments would eventually lower the price of housing for the lower-middle class, this is exactly why it will never happen. Developers would rather sit and wait until the market rebounds than to build more affordable housing. The city needs to put more emphasis on affordable housing.

I've said this a million times on here and always get my head chewed off. Nice to see another person with actual economics experience make this case.

It's basically August already, so 2018 is not that far.

Equity Residential spokesman Marty McKenna confirmed that the Boston comment referred to the Garden Garage site on Lomasney Way but said “nothing has changed with regard to our plans. We’re continuing to work on that project and the current start is (2018).”

Change from apartments to condos!

It's basically August already, so 2018 is not that far.

That's something they have to say so the stakeholders don't freak out. I'm not holding my breath on this one. It sounds like they are starting to reconsider.

Ha funny. Just this week I heard from an inside source that construction may start in January.

Just something I heard--im not involved with the project so take it with a grain of salt.

Back