The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Longfellow Place (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

39319317264_ebee7f1db7_c.jpg

Also - I hereby proclaim that it is finally time to do something interesting with the last tenement.

Like put it in a giant vitrine with some interpretive signs and call it the new wing of the West End museum. Or throw a geodesic nutsack around it like at Amazon's HQ in Seattle and make it an oversized folly in a new a garden-under-glass. Or make it the headhouse of a new beergarden. Or turn it into the monkeyhouse for a new downtown micro-branch of Zoo NewEngland. Or make it part of a new West End Library branch. (...these are clearly not mutually-exclusive visions...).

Because now that its going to be surrounded by interesting new shit, there are really interesting urban-space and design things that can be done with it that would be much more awesome than its current role as a masonry billboard easel.

One of the best things about these new towers in this area is that they will draw your eyes away from Longfellow Place.

Let's roll!!

Also - I hereby proclaim that it is finally time to do something interesting with the last tenement.

Like put it in a giant vitrine with some interpretive signs and call it the new wing of the West End museum. Or throw a geodesic nutsack around it like at Amazon's HQ in Seattle and make it an oversized folly in a new a garden-under-glass. Or make it the headhouse of a new beergarden. Or turn it into the monkeyhouse for a new downtown micro-branch of Zoo NewEngland. Or make it part of a new West End Library branch. (...these are clearly not mutually-exclusive visions...).

Because now that its going to be surrounded by interesting new shit, there are really interesting urban-space and design things that can be done with it that would be much more awesome than its current role as a masonry billboard easel.

I know some people like it as a historical reminder of the destruction of the west end, but this would be a good location for another tower. The land is incredibly valuable and vastly underutilized at this point. Is this site landmarked?

I actually like how it has been able to stand the test of time and resist the wrecking ball all of these years. There is one of these types of buildings across the street from my new place next to Hudson Yards. 3 stories, abandoned, but not getting knocked down.

Seriously, who owns that parcel? Does anyone live in that building?

I know some people like it as a historical reminder of the destruction of the west end, but this would be a good location for another tower. The land is incredibly valuable and vastly underutilized at this point. Is this site landmarked?

I hope it is still a protected landmark. I am fine with it being left as-is, although I would love to see it re-purposed into something like the tenement museum in NYC.

Glad we have it. Hope we always have it.

btw, the Green Line tunnel takes up most of the Last Tenement's parcel underbelly.

I would like to see the parcels to either side of the lone tenement filled with similarly designed and constructed buildings of the same scale. Make a row of them. The one authentic one could be a museum as suggested.

You could still build something taller on the back part of the site.

Or you could put a mid rise skinny building wrapped around it. Having another building with an active ground floor would really activate those streets and make them something other than bridge/storrow onramps.

How about having it as the centerpiece of a large lobby in a very tall building?

How about having it as the centerpiece of a large lobby in a very tall building?

+1

Economically I have no idea what's actually viable considering it's basically over a bunch of tunnels.

What about the surface parking behind the garden? The second busiest transit station in New England should not have surface parking right next to it.

The jail too. While I would like to see the whole thing redeveloped just the parking lot be the spot of a new development.

I'd love to see 3 or 4 new "tenements" lined up to the left of the last one/museum. Each of the new buildings would have the same height, # stories, floor lines, and proportion of the original. But each would be in a distinct style. Parking requirements would be waived for this project.

Something like this would be nice:

Union is protesting outside the garage right now with the big rat.

"Live in this luxurious North End 1 bedroom furnished apartment! " North End? The zillow rep is directionally challenged.

Does Bing maps really still identify the "Fleetcenter" on their maps?

Union is protesting outside the garage right now with the big rat.

Then that means that real work really is starting soon. Sweet!

Back