The Armature | 52 Hanover St | Portland

Copper colored perhaps. Real copper is cost prohibitive.
Yeah, I didn't intend for that to sound like I thought it was actual copper. It does look copper colored, though, and in the light it has a metallic shimmer.

Taken from Intermed

Attachments

• 20230427_131319.jpg
    20230427_131319.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 148
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! $5,795 for a 2 BR. That's Boston or Manhattan pricing! I knew this would happen in Portland. I just knew it. The city should have allowed that giant Federated project. It's getting worse, a lot worse. We can thank Peter Munro for this.

https://www.apartmentfinder.com/Mai...-Armature-At-Hanover-Works-Apartments-63lhsqt
I thought that was a mistake, but nope, same pricing on the building's site:

Yikes. The 2 BR nice one is $5,900, not $5,795.

Now who can afford that? My mortgage is $2100 a month and thats a deal in this housing crisis. Imagine going back 25 years and telling the locals in 2023 rent in Bayside will be close to 6k a month for a 2 bedroom? They would laugh at you! Portland needs a couple more 18 story residential buildings.

I just looked, and that $5900 is for the fully furnished version; the same floor plan without the furniture is "only" $4590. Still insane, but some of these apartments are huge... 1599 square feet, 2/2 with an office space included. I'm forwarding this to my friend who lived on what they called Hangover Street in the 80's.

I just looked, and that $5900 is for the fully furnished version; the same floor plan without the furniture is "only" $4590. Still insane, but some of these apartments are huge... 1599 square feet, 2/2 with an office space included. I'm forwarding this to my friend who lived on what they called Hangover Street in the 80's.
Fully furnished would be corporate housing or housing for students in Masters or PhD programs. There are a lot of furnished apt. arrangements around Harvard and MIT. There must be demand for it then in Portland. A good sign, of course.

I got a 1,500 sq ft, townhouse with a garage in my city for $1750 a month back in 2017.....$4490 is insane

My friend said that when he lived on Hanover (presumably somewhere between Portland and Cumberland) they were paying $1000/ month and splitting it 5 ways.

While we were gasping at the high end, they're asking $2000/month for a studio. Why?? I could see that if the area had a ton of high-paying entry-level tech jobs or something, but we don't have that, not really, and we certainly don't have the quantity of tech employers to engender significant network effects.

While we were gasping at the high end, they're asking $2000/month for a studio. Why?? I could see that if the area had a ton of high-paying entry-level tech jobs or something, but we don't have that, not really, and we certainly don't have the quantity of tech employers to engender significant network effects.
Perhaps the developers and R.E. agents think it will be "The in place to live in Portland." When you are living alone or with one other person--even if it's a spouse--the need for finding community today is important. This building will be the only dynamic apartment building with a pool and courtyard in Portland that opens up to the south, with the east, west, and north sides surrounding that southern facing end. In the winter the sun heats up the metal siding and it will feel cozier this way. It will also have a community pool area with bar tops, sinks, and grills. And the rooftop has two different social areas with views. They have done their homework with this design. That $2,000 for a studio is now not so bad. It's about access.

Last edited:
Perhaps the developers and R.E. agents think it will be "The in place to live in Portland." When you are living alone or with one other person--even if it's a spouse--the need for finding community today is important. This building will be the only dynamic apartment building with a pool and courtyard in Portland that opens up to the south, with the east, west, and north sides surrounding that southern facing end. In the winter the sun heats up the metal siding and it will feel cozier this way. It will also have a community pool area with bar tops, sinks, and grills. And the rooftop has two different social areas with views. They have done their homework with this design. That $2,000 for a studio is now not so bad. It's about access.
Soho House Portland

Back