The Brookliner | 5 Washington Street | Brighton

51914079017_7810294f5a_b.jpg

51914079202_431e06c4e4_b.jpg

51915046996_cedce20a84_b.jpg

Yeah, I went to NY for a week. Came back & saw that the tower crane was put there. It wasn't there when I was leaving. Thanks for the pics, BeeLine & Itsmikem!! The boxy-type thingy that the crane is mounted in, it looks like it'll be the concrete core for the elevator(s) & stairs. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: FK4
Don't think that the crane is ready yet. From the looks of things, some of it still needs to be set up. :unsure:

The crane IS in use. Went by there this morning & saw it in action. Gotten a little more busy there as more workers are on the job! :)

The renderings show some nice texture on the brick. I wonder if we’ll actually get it.

Thanks, Stick N Move, for providing the link!! It helps to end the wondering of how the building will look when it's finished. From the looks of the retail space, looks like Whole Foods might move into there, but we'll see. That's supposed to be a seprarate project, but it looks like nothing's happening where they are so far. Also, there is nothing posted there yet as to how it will look! :unsure:

I'm shocked! They're putting wooden apts. on top of the concrete. The rest of the building is being built using wood as the primary source. I thought that the whole building was gonna be concrete, but only the base of it (first floor). :eek:

I'm shocked! They're putting wooden apts. on top of the concrete. The rest of the building is being built using wood as the primary source. I thought that the whole building was gonna be concrete, but only the base of it (first floor). :eek:

Theyre called 5 over 1’s, though this has 4 wooden floors instead. If you know what to look for youll see em everywhere. Theyre cheap to build, dense, have ground floor retail, and can fit out basically any facade. Were in a housing crisis, we should be throwing up a million of these across the confinental us.

You could literally throw down a 20x20 street grid and build an entire city from scratch with nothing but 6 story 5 over 1s and if the facade was quality and visually broken up it would be a better city to live in than all of these lifestyle centers and other bullcrap fake downtowns the big firms are doing. Id love to see someone do it.

Theyre called 5 over 1’s, though this has 4 wooden floors instead. If you know what to look for youll see em everywhere. Theyre cheap to build, dense, have ground floor retail, and can fit out basically any facade. Were in a housing crisis, we should be throwing up a million of these across the confinental us.

You could literally throw down a 20x20 street grid and build an entire city from scratch with nothing but 6 story 5 over 1s and if the facade was quality and visually broken up it would be a better city to live in than all of these lifestyle centers and other bullcrap fake downtowns the big firms are doing. Id love to see someone do it.

But isn't that a recipe for disaster? Wood burns pretty easy & fast!! In other words all but the concrete could go "poof"! I've heard of buildings built of wood going up in flames even while u/c!! I hope that it doesn't happen, but there is always that chance!! :eek:

Last edited:
If the weather is nice tomorrow, I'll go take some pics & post them. I think they are moving forward toward Washington Street with the construction of the building now. :)

But isn't that a recipe for disaster? Wood burns pretty easy & fast!!

No, once theyre finished they have a sprinkler system.

It's a recipe for disaster until those sprinklers are installed. I remember this fire in Waltham from a few years back:

There was also this one in Dorchester near Ashmont:

Nice pic!! Thanks!! The new Harriet Tubman House is being built the same way!! :)
As a South End resident, I concur. The 5+1 thing: It is very easy to justify wood construction when you imagine that the buildings will be demolished within the next 50 to 100 years. This building, as well as the Harriet Tubman location, are designed to last in perpetuity.

It's called Paris.🤗

Back