The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Most of us on the Portland threads realize this but it would be a wonderful dose of civic pride to be home to the tallest building in Northern New England. Tallest building north of Boston would be a stretch due to cities such as Albany, Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo that are further north as you head west.
I think the "north of Boston" range was generally thought of as Northern New England plus the Merrimack Valley (assuming there's nothing of note between Lowell and the Charles). Going farther west we'd have to beat the CN Tower.

Lowell does have a 21 story senior housing building (Three River Place) that tops out at 202' but obviously can't compete with Manchester's two 250' plus towers. Lawrence also has the Ayers Mill Clock Tower (below) that rises to 267' which appears to be a little inflated when using the eyeball test.

3565501b463817c2149f275d8bbb3146.jpg

Last edited:
How tall is the Wang tower? I had thought that was up there as well, or is it now the senior housing building?

The Wang Towers (Cross Point) are 12 and 13 floors at 168' making it the 3rd tallest building(s) in Lowell after Three River Place (21 floors) and Fox Hall (18 floors) at the UMass campus on the NW fringe of downtown.

Last edited:
The massive scope and width of the complex makes the height not as impressive from a distance. If Franklin Towers was half of it's width it would appear much taller visually in my opinion.

Approximately 1/3 of the U.S. land area is north of Portland, if you look at a proper map and study it.

Yeah, cause Alaska is bleeping huge and stratospherically skews this stat.

Lowell does have a 21 story senior housing building (Three River Place) that tops out at 202' but obviously can't compete with Manchester's two 250' plus towers. Lawrence also has the Ayers Mill Clock Tower (below) that rises to 267' which appears to be a little inflated when using the eyeball test.

I'm pretty sure that Fox Hall is taller. Cross Point also exceeds 200'.

1686937276434.png

I did some work this past March for a few weeks in Minneapolis. That city is north of Portland and wow does it have some tall buildings. The IDS Center is a monster.....

Minneapolis matches up with Boston's tallest, before Boston overwhelms it at the next levels. The IDS is technically taller than the Hancock, as it was listed at 772' for years before they realized the 20' mech box on top should count. So the main roof is shorter but that tiny box officially counts.

1686938206422.png

Decidedly north of anything in New England... 47.6205° N, 122.3493° W

Image 6-16-23 at 4.18 PM.jpg
Image 6-16-23 at 4.17 PM.jpg

Image 6-16-23 at 4.17 PM 2.jpg

From the UMASS Lowell website. I think both towers are within a few feet of each other and the 226' figure includes an antenna I read in one footnote. DZH 22, I think it's fair to say that we both miss Emporis and determining actual building heights through different sources can be difficult and not always accurate. :) I actually believe the listed height I found for Cross Point of 168": 13 floors at a generous 12' per floor equals 156' and add another 12' for the base and a flat roof and I think it would be pretty close.

Last edited:
View attachment 39193View attachment 39192
View attachment 39194
From the UMASS Lowell website. I think both towers are within a few feet of each other and the 226' figure includes an antenna I read in one footnote. DZH 22, I think it's fair to say that we both miss Emporis and determining actual building heights through different sources can be difficult and not always accurate. :) I actually believe the listed height I found for Cross Point of 168": 13 floors at a generous 12' per floor equals 156' and add another 12' for the base and a flat roof and I think it would be pretty close.

The UMASS Lowell website is most likely somebody who automatically thinks that a 19 story building is taller than an 18 story building. Emporis was much the same way. If you ever paid attention there were an absolute ton of buildings where the heights were estimated using the exact same multipliers. Regardless of whether it was public housing or a brand new lab, the floor heights would be calculated as if they were the same. The site was a total failure in that regard.

I went to school there and can tell you that from across the river, Fox always looked a little bit taller. If the antenna was part of the 226' then the rest of the building would be a building for ants.

Take a look at the bottom 6 floors here. They are larger, as they are educational and the dorm isn't until 7-18. Also the brick portion extends 2 floors above 18, with the antenna well above that.

1686953380291.png

Also play around with this, and Fox Hall looks taller any way you slice it. (note you may need to go to the lower left, click on "more" then check the box for "globe view."

Last edited:
I've always respected your opinion and research along with your photos from above. It's surely not worth quibbling over two buildings that are so close in height with sources supporting both. You went to school there so I will defer to your instincts on Lowell's tallest. (y)

I've always respected your opinion and research along with your photos from above. It's surely not worth quibbling over two buildings that are so close in height with sources supporting both. You went to school there so I will defer to your instincts on Lowell's tallest. (y)

As you know this stuff drives me absolutely crazy. Here's UMass Lowell contradicting itself and saying that Fox is, indeed, Lowell's tallest.

Back