The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Were you around here when the kids were throwing rocks through the windows of the Exchange St. Starbucks? I know there were a lot of local choices at the time beyond CBD - Bard Coffee cones to mind - but most of those are gone now.
Are you guys joking? Off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen independent coffee shops within a block of this site: Bard, Arabica, HiFi, Burkes, The Works, 88 Donuts...

The Middle Street Starbucks shut down because they got out-competed by better coffee places, but I'm sure they'd prefer to blame the people who broke their windows to avoid taking responsibility for being sub-par.

I'd love to see a coffee shop not named Dunkin. Personally I love Starbucks....which seems to be a four letter word in Portland. When I was there for a hockey game.....no one could give me the name of a place to get coffee in the evening. #Sad
In many cities it feels like there is a Starbucks on every block. It looks like the key reason for the loss is the lack of workers, or the kind that don't think it's a career in which they must have the pay to buy a house. It's basically still pouring coffee. I miss the one at Exchange and Middle, and the one on Commercial is ripped apart inside for a remodel, or was that an excuse to let go of the workers? I think Starbucks corporate has a big dislike for Portland, or Portland, Maine. And isn't the one at Congress Square closed too? That leaves one out by UNE and the one across from the mall, or the one at the Jetport, but then you need a plane ticket for that. At Logan there is one at baggage claim in Terminal A, of which is usually hopping, and nice to have while waiting for your bag. The one at the Jetport I think opens at 5:30AM and has a long line starting at 5, or from what I witnessed recently with a 6AM flight, so not really a possibility. It's my only real issue with the Jetport, other than the tacky wildlife taxidermy display for first time visitor impressions, so not really one at all when on the subject of airports. (And I do think Newark Int. would be a good place to schedule penance, as everyone would then see the light after that, especially with a start of returning a rental car.)

Last edited:
You forgot three Starbucks locations: Northgate, Rock Row, and inside the Mall itself. Plus there's a new one in a new outbuilding in the Scarborough Marden's parking lot.

😁

In many cities it feels like there is a Starbucks on every block. It looks like the key reason for the loss is the lack of workers, or the kind that don't think it's a career in which they must have the pay to buy a house. It's basically still pouring coffee. I miss the one at Exchange and Middle, and the one on Commercial is ripped apart inside for a remodel, or was that an excuse to let go of the workers? I think Starbucks corporate has a big dislike for Portland, or Portland, Maine.
I guess unless you are into $100+ meals or bar hopping.....you're out of luck in Portland, Maine.

Are you guys joking? Off the top of my head I can think of half a dozen independent coffee shops within a block of this site: Bard, Arabica, HiFi, Burkes, The Works, 88 Donuts...

The Middle Street Starbucks shut down because they got out-competed by better coffee places, but I'm sure they'd prefer to blame the people who broke their windows to avoid taking responsibility for being sub-par.
I tried to put the rock-throwing in the past tense, since I recall it being an early-00's thing. I hadn't heard anything about that going on for a decade before they closed and certainly didn't intend to imply that the vandalism was the cause of their recent closure.

So far as local coffee shops go, I think I meant to say Java Joe's rather than Bard, and I still think it's accurate that most of the spots that were in the area 20 years ago are now gone.

You think most people go to Starbucks for pure coffee? They go for the other drinks and food....and some are pretty good. But alas....capitalism is dead when it comes to coffee shops in Portland and we are left with local shops that have limited hours and selections. I'm just waiting for Portland bartenders (mixologists?) to pull a barista and demand better pay and working conditions.

I wish there was a retail update. It’s kinda bumming me out. I’m hoping after the fencing is down we will get more interest. ~ C
Have you reached out to big tree hospitality like I mentioned? A version of South Freeport village market would cover all the bases and be perfect fit there . Especially with captured audience above

Have you reached out to big tree hospitality like I mentioned? A version of South Freeport village market would cover all the bases and be perfect fit there . Especially with captured audience above
Multiple multiple times. Also Rosemont and Bow Street and Monte ~ C

No offense to rosemont , but that is not what that place needs . That’s too bad big tree not interested . That covers breakfast, coffee, lunch and drinks and basic groceries on site

Can I just say (and you may have had this idea for here or Mercy already): Wild Oats Portland location

I personally think a D'Angelos or an Amaro's would be a good fit. They are local, have a variety of food selections and their closest other retail units are on St John and India Streets. Other than a few options inside One City Center, the donut shop across the street and the new taco place in Canal Plaza, there aren't a lot of reasonably priced food choices near the new tower. Even though the area is so against national chains, (but Subway, Dunkin' and Starbucks are acceptable) I'd love to see a Jimmy John's sub shop which are located in downtown areas of about every city in the US except for Portland. A Domino's or Little Caesars would clean up with all of the residential units coming on line and the 14 hotels that are located within a 15 minute walk!

Last edited:
To show that Portland can look like the Bronx.

Missed this earlier, but actually it's to show that Portland can look like Cambridge. ;) But really, just meant it as a dumb joke. "Be careful what you wish for."

Photo I accidentally came across on Ebay. Shows Federal Street looking down Exchange.

Attachments

• Exchange Street Portland.jpg
    Exchange Street Portland.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 45
It seems like the "tradeoff" for significantly increased heights is that dimensional standards for towers have gotten more strict. For instance, any portion of a building above 125 ft. is limited to a total floorplate of 10,000 Sq. Ft. Plus additional stepback requirements (201 Federal just barely fits these proposed dimensional standards) So that would make additional height to some of the legacy downtown office buildings a non-starter.
That's not entirely new; the height overlay along Congress St. (enacted during the 80's building boom) also included setbacks, when there were concerns that the street might become an office tower canyon. Oh, those heady days of The Liberty Group.

Back