The city that Tom built

JohnAKeith

Reaction score
Well, I assume most (all the) people who read this forum also read the Boston Globe, so no need to cut and paste the entire article on Thomas Menino and city development during the past 16-years that appeared in today's paper.

But, for those of you from out of town or who only read the archboston.org forum, here's a teaser and a link. (Also, what category should this be in?)

The city the mayor (painstakingly) built
Hands-on Menino defends his influence, but some critics say he is too controlling
Boston Globe, August 23, 2009

Mayor Thomas M. Menino came across a newly renovated house in Roslindale a couple of years ago that wasn?t quite to his liking. So he snapped out his cellphone and barked at his chief development aide: ?How could something so ugly get built???

When the answer came back that the home fell within zoning code, Menino ordered the code rewritten. Now, homeowners in wide swaths of the city need City Hall permission to build additions.

A few years earlier, in Menino?s ceremonial conference room, the anxious developer of a Back Bay skyscraper was trying to win the mayor?s blessing. He placed a scale model of his proposed tower on the table. He had a line of a dozen possible tops for the building that he placed on the model one at a time, like hats.

Menino picked the one he liked best - it resembled a king?s crown - and with that, the project was as good as built.

Never before in Boston, and perhaps nowhere else in the nation, has a mayor obsessed so mightily, and wielded power so exhaustively, over the look, feel, and shape of the built city. Routine construction projects on remote streets need City Hall approval; prominent towers that climb the downtown skyline carry his mark; independent city boards bow to his will.

Interviews with numerous developers, neighborhood activists, residents, and current and former city workers, as well as a review of hundreds of Boston Redevelopment Authority records, reveal a common theme: The difference between success and failure - approval and denial - often depends on pleasing Menino.

Indeed, a small cadre of favored developers and consultants, most of whom have close personal, professional, or political ties to Menino, have routinely won approval for their buildings, all the while showering the mayor with the kinds of campaign contributions he once promised to reject.

Stories abound of developers who have seen proposals put on ice because of some perceived slight - often something as simple as not calling the mayor personally before a proposal first appears in the newspaper. As widespread are the tales of savvy - and successful - developers who live by two simple rules: Never surprise Menino, and always include him.

Menino?s unorthodox leadership has led to enormous successes for Boston - massive development during a roaring economy that brought gleaming towers, luxury hotels, and posh condominium projects, with thousands of new jobs and millions in local property taxes. The boom reaped neighborhood victories, including a new shopping center in a blighted section of Roxbury. Menino also slashed the red tape that had famously snarled developers for years.

His leadership also led to failures - bare parcels in prominent places, uneven progress on marquee stretches of the city, and criticism that Boston lacks a coherent vision for its future.

The mayor makes no excuses and offers no apologies.

(cont'd)

So then he must have approved the black wall on 45 providence? what an idiot.

So many things wrong on SO many levels. This article does nothing but glorify the corruption of Hizzonah's 'reign' as he puts it. Me-ni-No 09!

Glorify is not how I'd put it. The article seemed fairly negative to me. I was just a little annoyed that they seemed to conclude that development vs. non-development is an either/or proposition, and that by encouraging the former Tom has betrayed the people.

Development is fine, even some of the stuff he's approved. The issue is that Menino's ego can kill quality projects or cause crummy ones to get through. There was some reference to this in the article, but not much, and then they drag Shirley out of the woodwork for that atrocious closing "build, baby, build" quote, as if development is the whole problem.

On another note, I never had heard of the monorail to Fenway. Had anyone else?

More than anything the article did come off anti-development. Development is development, the "goodness" of development is, more than anything, contextual. What stood out is that we have such antiquated zoning that things that fit in the context (i.e. a high rise downtown or a apartment building in Brighton) has to get the mayor's blessing. That is the main problem. I love the idea of flexible zoning because that allows for a certain dynamism, but the lack of a well-planned contextual zoning gives activists NIMBYs (ie NED) too much power to stymie any development based on the simple philosophy that Shirely's quote reveals, which is development is bad.

A dictator he is. now I'm glad the 1000 ft tower will not be built. Something he backed did not get built. This is not how a city should work. We should not have to get on our knees and beg the king. Zoning laws need to be updated due to them being outdated, not because the mayor wants to help a developer who happenz to be a friend of his. No to Menino.

The problem is mostly that the mayor has bad taste.

Euchner is right...enormous opportunities were lost over the past decade's boom because of menino's piecemeal approach. The costar stats must be incorrect. I would bet my life on it.

The candidates love to talk about how developers run over the neighborhoods. It makes for good press but it's complete nonsense. Nothing gets done until the neighborhood is appeased or until the opposition is worn down over time and the most vocal critics (usually loudmouths like Shirley who oppose everything) are the only ones shouting.

I must admit that I've come around to the idea of abolishing the BRA and creating a separate department for planning and economic development. But that would have to be accompanied by a massive effort to rezone the city in a sensible fashion.

Re-zoning is going to be essential in order to refill all of the empty retail spaces scattered throughout the city....rents have been inflated for years now...

The mayor pretends that he is all for small business but the zoning says otherwise

The problem is mostly that the mayor has bad taste.

I would accept a dictatorship based on the principle that truth is beauty, and vice versa. But that is not the case, in this instance, and your comment cuts to the heart of the matter.

Watch the video in the link. It's not very flattering. He even used the term reign to describe his time in office.

I'm sorry, but am I the only person that enjoyed the article? Despite his shortfalls, I think on a national scale of what other mayors around the country accomplish during their terms that Menino has contributed quite tremendously to the city. I may even be so bold as to call him a role model. The man genuinely cares about Boston and its image.

All I've heard since moving away from Florida to attend Northeastern is how bad everything has gotten in FL because of the recession. Friends of mine and family all over the country have been repeating the same sentiment. Yet as the article touches upon and as observation proves, Boston has fared this economic storm very well compared to the rest of the country. I'd be hard-pressed finding reasons to deny that Menino's leadership and city government had little to do with Boston's successes as of late.

I thought the Globe was remarkably kind to the mayor. It was like criticizing the dope dealer for shorting waitresses on tips.

The Boston area has been fortunate to ride recessions better than other cities, in part because of what happens in Boston (largest new england city, higher ed, tourism, health care, research) and partly because Yankee pride means you just don't always talk about how bad it really is.

Again, kind of like the Globe article.

Anybody who actually thinks this clown is a good Mayor is an IDIOT. The only reason Boston is recession proof is because of the colleges. Boston is a beautiful city but has been lacking in 21st century development. The city still considers Hancock and Pru amazing towers. When I think of Boston's skyline it falls on IP and Rowes Wharf I believe that is the best scene on the news.

Lincoln Tower was a good addition. The rest of Boston has been supressed by Menino and his cronies. Thank god for MIT & Harvard for their expansion over the last 20 years which really made Cambridge a very desirably area.

Boston has fallen in the ranks of great cities and it's very embarrassing when you have so much going for it. He is not a visionarie and bottom line Boston should be one of the top 5 cities in the world.

The Hancock still is an amazing tower even after 35 years....

Skyscrapers though don't make a city; thankfully...or Menino would be in the chitter....

Boston in no way should ever be in competition for the top five cities in the world. if that's what you're expecting, maybe a move to NYC would be in order.

^^
Because that list starts with London, Paris, Tokyo, and New York.

Those are four, so I guess Boston can be in contention for the fifth spot. Although, I do agree we'd probably have a pretty tough time claiming it.

We'd be contending against Brussels, Antwerp, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Madrid, Rome, Istanbul, Sydney, Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, Montreal, and a whole bunch of other places that are more 'world class' than Boston is.

Back