The Clarendon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like "demolished" in those photos. It's old but I don't know that it's historic.

Went by today. The nicer portion that fronts on Stuart St. is definitely prepped for demo.

Clarendon-20070127-1.jpg

Clarendon-20070127-2.jpg

10 bucks says steel at The Clarendon will be topped off before construction starts on Columbus Center.

20 bucks says there will be a construction accident (ie steel beam blowing through somebodies window) due to high winds in the area and the NIMBY's use it to block construction of the Columbus Center.

bosma said:
20 bucks says there will be a construction accident (ie steel beam blowing through somebodies window) due to high winds in the area and the NIMBY's use it to block construction of the Columbus Center.
Umm I believe it is going to be a cast in place concrete building and even in that neighborhood I hope that it isn't windy enough to blow steel around :shock:

I got hit once ...

I was walking down Clarendon Street once, and got to the corner of Stuart Street, going toward the South End, and this HUGE flat piece of wood, probably 4 feet across and two feet wide slammed into my back so hard, I thought I was going to faint. I figured at first it was a person, or then, that it was a car, but no, it was a piece of wood.

Once I caught my breath, I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed. I wasn't sure what to think. I was mad at first, but then was incredulous. It was really big. I almost had to laugh.

I was even going to save the piece of wood, because I didn't think people would believe that it happened. It came from the John Hancock tower, I think, back when a car drove through the corner of the building, one Sunday morning (so much for their barriers out front ...).

Re: I got hit once ...

IMAngry said:
I was mad at first, but then was incredulous. It was really big. I almost had to laugh.

Mad? You sure you weren't angry?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

They are probably waiting on resources (like concrete). There is so much development going on world wide that the demand is more than the supply.

Does anyone know what this building is going to be made of? It's reddish-brown, but doesn't appear to be brick. Can anyone tell what the material is?

Edit: nevermind. I got his from the RM Stern website:
The shaft of the Clarendon is red brick in the Boston tradition, but expressed in a way that relates to its Modernist neighbors.

vanshnookenraggen said:
They are probably waiting on resources (like concrete). There is so much development going on world wide that the demand is more than the supply.
Supplies aren't unavailable, just scarce. When that happens you pay more. Time is money.

ablarc said:
kz1000ps said:
Slow progress for 3 months?

Between KZ's April 27th photos and the ones from last weekend, I think they are in the midst of slurry wall construction before they start serious excavation.

I can't believe it's been almost threee and a half months since the last update, but then I look at what is (or isn't) going on here and I remember why. Frustrating!

img0008pi2.jpg

Can someone explain what is going on here? What kind of work have they been doing at the site during the last few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back