The Eddy | 6 New Street | East Boston

Love the new housing but that is one ugly building.

It's also a fat one. I'm always amazed this is residential because of how wide it is. There can't be much sunlight or many real bedrooms per unit (given the lack of windows) due to the surface area to volume ratio.

It looks almost similar to the one that once stood there before it was torn down.

I like it. I think I'd love it if the windows were symmetrical.

I like it. The white grid hurts though. Someone surreptitiously paint it not-quite-black.

It looks almost similar to the one that once stood there before it was torn down.

Deliberately. The original plan was that they were going to rehab the old structure. That became untenable, so they demo'd and rebuilt.

Brought my old man to Reel House for an early Fathers Day dinner. Food is dynamite, and I expect the service will improve as they get all of their systems dialed in.

QkSVOo0.jpg

Brought my old man to Reel House for an early Fathers Day dinner. Food is dynamite, and I expect the service will improve as they get all of their systems dialed in.

Thanks. I just read this this morning, got in the car, had brunch there sitting outside. Food was very good (coffee was actually excellent), inside looks like a great place to go back to.

^ I think you'll agree, everything on the menu is $5 - $8 more expensive than it would be to defray the cost of the view. In some respects, Reel House is a 21st Century replacement for Anthony's Pier Four; the casual vibe, smaller scale, focus on outdoor cocktails and dining, and tightened menu speak to our times.

Yeah. But, with the city's restaurants being hopelessly packed, everywhere these days, for brunch or dinner, I just showed up here at noon on Sunday and was easily able to get outdoor seating. They also were having a private event adjacent to their outdoor bar. All in all I think it's a pretty good spot.

Coyote137, I love that view of the North End. Spectacular!

The inclusion of the frames still give the impression they were required by local building code (/s) rather than good taste.

It's a trend that desperately needs to die.

The lighter multistory frames make it look like one of the stack-of-books designs which someone straightened up.

The inclusion of the frames still give the impression they were required by local building code (/s) rather than good taste.

It's a trend that desperately needs to die.

They were going to reuse the old building on the site, but it ended up not being structurally sound enough so it was demolished. The new building was designed to reflect the structure of the old building that was going to be visible in the facade if it had been rebuilt.

They deleted a few horizontal lines to give it the much maligned colossal order, but the ones that are left plus the vertical lines line up with the old structure.

This old post shows it well with the render and old building
Re: New Street, East Boston multi-use project

IMG_9529

On the smaller side you can see where they included the 6 columns with 4 of them being close together to mimick the original columns and on the bigger side the 6 columns are evenly spaced also like the original.

I think its a nice touch to pay homage to the original structure that used to be there that they had planned on keeping and refurbishing. Unfortunately they couldnt, but adding those touches give a continuing lineage to the structure which is there now.

Last edited:

Back