The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

That's a wild generalization and overstatement, c'mon. I hate what Wal-mart represents as much as any orthodox New Englander and I express this by never shopping there. You don't have to make stuff up about them smelling to voice your disapproval.

Someone care to explain to me the horror of and revulsion toward a vast selection of inexpensive, conveniently-accessed goods?

Could we not have this thread devolve into an argument about Walmart?

Yeah that point is that parking lots are the ultimate "mixed mode" space and they suck.

Replace Walmart with Wegmans, same shit. It was just the first photo on google

Having traveled to many major English speaking cities around the world, the whole idea that streets needs to close off to vehicular traffic in order for it to be bustling is a total exaggeration. Newbury Street on a nice warm day is bustling even with traffic. What's most important is the number of quality retail (open storefronts) that lines the street.

A narrowed street can make it more intimate but it's not impossible to do this with wide streets itself, the Magnificent Mile in Chicago being proof that it's possible.

Last edited:
Yeah that point is that parking lots are the ultimate "mixed mode" space and they suck.

Replace Walmart with Wegmans, same shit. It was just the first photo on google
Not quite. Wegmans has a great selection of products, fair trade, and competitive wages for its staff. The opposite of Walli-World.

Did someone wanna cry over the fact that I was unimpressed by Walli-World's lusk?

Sooo... how 'bout that Hub on Causeway? Check out that webcam!

The office tower still hasn't popped out yet. I thought it was ready to go vertical.

The overhead view of the complex is actually the perfect webcam for tracking the Bulfinch Crossing residential tower. Pretty soon it will blot out a lot of city hall from that view! (unfortunately not a view any of us will ever see in person)

Having traveled to many major English speaking cities around the world, the whole idea that streets needs to close off to vehicular traffic in order for it to be bustling is a total exaggeration. Newbury Street on a nice warm day is bustling even with traffic. What's most important is the number of quality retail (open storefronts) that lines the street.

A narrowed street can make it more intimate but it's not impossible to do this with wide streets itself, the Magnificent Mile in Chicago being proof that it's possible.

Bustling isnt necessary the same as comfortable or fun or pleasant

This is bustling

streets-in-delhi-india-with-lots-of-people-MF9NB8.jpg

This is bustling

Is this in India? There is trash all over the ground and all of the wires look ready to combust the neighborhood in a moment's notice.

As Kent's comment was related to English speaking cities, I wonder if there are any with areas that actually look like this. Even the weirdest city I have been to, Union City NJ (aka the densest city in the US!), wasn't quite like this.

I will say that there are some 20-30 story apartment buildings on the hills around Hoboken/Weehauken that I swear look ready to come tumbling off the cliff at any moment. It wouldn't surprise me if we read about this one day soon. Kind of off topic from the above though and way off topic from the thread itself.

^ Ever see old pictures of American cities? They had similar looks, it's a little fascinating.

Is this in India? There is trash all over the ground and all of the wires look ready to combust the neighborhood in a moment's notice.

As Kent's comment was related to English speaking cities, I wonder if there are any with areas that actually look like this. Even the weirdest city I have been to, Union City NJ (aka the densest city in the US!), wasn't quite like this.

I will say that there are some 20-30 story apartment buildings on the hills around Hoboken/Weehauken that I swear look ready to come tumbling off the cliff at any moment. It wouldn't surprise me if we read about this one day soon. Kind of off topic from the above though and way off topic from the thread itself.

Yes that India.

Good call on Nj though. I was recently in Fort Lee and some of the development looks straight out of Asia. And I mean the bad parts.

The webcam on top of the Avalon North Station also has a PERFECT view of the approach traffic to runway 27, which means east-facing units in the building will have a beautiful view of that dance every evening.

I’ve been lolling around South Asia for a few weeks, and have to say that resembles Calcutta. Newmarket in Calcutta is far superior to any retail experience in the US. It consists of thousands of vendors in a hot, sweaty filthy environment with unsafe wiring, the stench of backed up sewer drains and dead animals here and there. Retail in Boston is dirt since Filenes Basement collapsed. Sanitary and boring.
Anyway, I’m wrecked and forget why I’m posting this. So I’m going back to the bar at my club for several more g+t’s. Today’s big decision is whether to sleep it off or stay drunk for another 12 hours for my 2 hour popover to my tailor in Bangkok. Staying drunk is on top of the leader board.

This is bustling

streets-in-delhi-india-with-lots-of-people-MF9NB8.jpg

Yeah well and then you places like Collin Street (and the extent the whole shopping district) in Melbourne which has a mix of streets with vehicular traffic and pedestrian only sections, and St Catherine Street in Montreal, and Yonge and Dundas in Toronto, and Magnificent Mile in Chicago, and Granville St in Vancouver, and the shops at Santa Monica and...

What makes them similar is that they line the entire street/block with retails not necessarily on just the first floor, but on the second and even third floor.

Bulfinch Circle can be like that but what they need more is retail stores, not just bars and restaurants. A street dedicated to just pedestrian is fine, not saying that there shouldn't be one but people need a reason to be there.

I’ve been lolling around South Asia for a few weeks, and have to say that resembles Calcutta. Newmarket in Calcutta is far superior to any retail experience in the US. It consists of thousands of vendors in a hot, sweaty filthy environment with unsafe wiring, the stench of backed up sewer drains and dead animals here and there. Retail in Boston is dirt since Filenes Basement collapsed. Sanitary and boring.
Anyway, I’m wrecked and forget why I’m posting this. So I’m going back to the bar at my club for several more g+t’s. Today’s big decision is whether to sleep it off or stay drunk for another 12 hours for my 2 hour popover to my tailor in Bangkok. Staying drunk is on top of the leader board.

Preach on, Brother!

Back