The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Agreed wholeheartedly. The entrance to the city from the North would have felt so much grander with another 150' here. Hopefully the State Street building steals the show in the short run. In the long run, there is still hope for more height in the area. It's the best place to beat the FAA, shadow on the whatevers, etc, and at least have a shot of eclipsing 800'.
I feel that, from a skyline level, once this and the Alcott is finished it's a lot like downtown before Millenium Place. Good, solid filler but you need a standout tower with some height to break the plateau to bring it all together.

I feel that, from a skyline level, once this and the Alcott is finished it's a lot like downtown before Millenium Place. Good, solid filler but you need a standout tower with some height to break the plateau to bring it all together.

The new State Street tower will be critical for giving the area an actual peak and tying it back to the main skyline. It's out of the ground and not a moment too soon!

In the longer run, there are a lot of locations in this neighborhood that could support taller projects in the future. This might one day become the most impressive area in the entire skyline.

8.12.20 - For Stick - May not be a crown, but adds a nice touch to WE. Really like it. It's now lit every night.
A2B02A21-1DCA-4746-9EDC-51AA1B833D33.jpeg

8.12.20 - For Stick - May not be a crown, but adds a nice touch to WE. Really like it. It's now lit every night.

The lighting accentuates some nice depth.

Hopefully they won't turn it off like they did with the nearby Avalon tower's balcony/vertical highlight strip (lasted about six months, on an off, before the balconies partially winked out and the main strip revealed sections that failed).

My mind is already filling in the blanks with completed buildings, notably the Alcott, One Congress, and Winthrop Center. A few years from now this view from Bunker Hill Monument Square will become iconic... maybe not quite Acorn Street or Alamo Square Park iconic, but certainly a noteworthy exclamation mark for the throngs of tourists that descend upon the Freedom Trail.

My mind is already filling in the blanks with completed buildings, notably the Alcott, One Congress, and Winthrop Center. A few years from now this view from Bunker Hill Monument Square will become iconic... maybe not quite Acorn Street or Alamo Square Park iconic, but certainly a noteworthy exclamation mark for the throngs of tourists that descend upon the Freedom Trail.

agreed...the Verizon building looks huge from this view. Will they light the logo ? One congress will looks amazing from here as well.

Bold prediction: Verizon logo accumulates more bullet holes in 10 years than the Citgo sign infamously racks up in between 30-year renovations.

Look at the three towers in the last shot. Makes it brutally clear. This is merely commerce, no equivocation, plain and simple. Architecture and urban design hold little sway when it comes to real estate development in too many instances in our city. So it seems. The base, yes, arguably, is an attempt at enhancing the neighborhood and place-making. But the towers are, charitably, mediocre. This may well be our mayor's real legacy (after Covid) - the cheapening, if not the diminishment, of our architectural realm. This is not hyperbole. A tipping point is not recognized until one is past the point. It's when you look back you realize. Two separate developments that could have artfully (too much to ask?) branded an entrance to Boston, and don't. Another opportunity lost, or mishandled, Your Honor. Cities need to grow, yes, undeniably, but can we raise the bar a little?

Definitely disappointing, to say the least, but still holding on to hope that the tracks and parking lot get decked with a mega-project and a true piece of architecture, no time soon, but eventually...

but can we raise the bar a little?

The bar for high-rise architecture in Boston has always been so low that a slug could jump over it. (notwithstanding the Custom House and Hancock)

The Verizon Tower is like a modern rendition of the Pregnant Building with that bumped-out glass portion, and I think that's pretty cool.

The bar for high-rise architecture in Boston has always been so low that a slug could jump over it. (notwithstanding the Custom House and Hancock)

The Verizon Tower is like a modern rendition of the Pregnant Building with that bumped-out glass portion, and I think that's pretty cool.

i'd put 1 dalton, exchange place, international place, the old JHT, 60 state street, federal reserve, and millenium tower in the "fairly high bar" territory. possibly unitied shoe, one financial, and one lincoln, too. if it turns out like the renders the new state street building will be absolutely stunning.

i have an architect aquantance who absolutely loves 28 state street. i don't find it offensive, but even despite her careful explanations for why it's such a success, it doesn't do much for me.

Back