The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

I don't understand what the complaint with this building is. Wait until it's finished - It doesnt look that bad, for something int he middle of construction. The massing is in line with the area

The material looks like thick pieces of cardboard when they are wet from the rain. The small windows on the side are hideous. The W hotel like windows in the back is a complete 180 from the rest of the building and doesnt mesh. The facade is so featureless that having graffiti sprayed on it would make an improvement.

The W? That is a compliment.

Realistically the "back" side of the W probably cost twice as much as this curtain wall. This one's great:

061-5.jpg

Looks like straight aluminum finish, no paint. Big fat corner mullion. Cheapo green-tint glass. Way too much spandrel instead of nice shadowboxes. And throw in some in-and-out wrinkles just because it adds "style" for short money.

The building is terrible. The windows are better than the monolithic precast, but just barely. The windows look remarkably similar to portions of my elementary school (public school, c. 1968).

Amazing motto.

Same people that wrote Brad Pitts monologue for that Chanel No 5 commercial.

To those saying it won't be visible for long, I offer you this:

8228859092_7e02e4b32c_b.jpg

Whatever rises at Jacob Worth will block a little of the view to the right, but besides that this one will be visible allllll the way down Stuart for quite some time.

kz, thanks for reminding me that I take guilty pleasure in the State Transportation Building. It's the bastard child of two better buildings.

(I wonder if someone will guess correctly.)

The building is terrible. The windows are better than the monolithic precast, but just barely. The windows look remarkably similar to portions of my elementary school (public school, c. 1968).
Thank you. Every time I look at that glass curtain wall, it reminds me of something and I can't quite think what. It's very similar to the windows of the 1960's era building I went to high school in. They can call it "Public School Chic".

To those saying it won't be visible for long, I offer you this:

8228859092_7e02e4b32c_b.jpg

Whatever rises at Jacob Worth will block a little of the view to the right, but besides that this one will be visible allllll the way down Stuart for quite some time.

Hopefully the visible area will be mostly glass

kz, thanks for reminding me that I take guilty pleasure in the State Transportation Building. It's the bastard child of two better buildings.

I'm going to assume you're talking about Boston buildings and say it looks positively Baker House-ish from that angle. As for the other guess, the best I can muster is the Hurley/Lindemann/State Services Building, but I'm not so sure of that one.

You're right about Baker House, kz. Nice try with the Rudolph, but no. 'Nuther guess?

I think I found where they sourced the glazing from:

GP72000box.jpeg

Makes the Archstone across the street look contemporary and innovative.

That build it yourself if awesome. These building are actually the same height.

I think I found where they sourced the glazing from:

GP72000box.jpeg

My God, I had one of these as a kid! What a great find, Beton!! I loved this building set, spent hours and hours building skyscrapers! When I completed the building, I morphed from architect into....Godzilla! :) Maybe my love for this building set explains why I actually like the blue glass panels on the Kensington! Also, the panels remind me of the Traveler's Insurance building downtown that was blown up to make way for 125 High St. I loved that building!

Ugh. What are they going to call this one, Symphony Plaza North? It was pretty bad the first two times they built this kind of crap.

Except precast is to meh modernism as a "colonial" McMansion is to a 1920s Georgian Revival.

Back