"The Last Tenement" Discussion | 42 Lomasney Way | West End

Sunday two Geo/Soil rigs were working the north and south sides of "The Last Tenement". Is there some a foot???

What your photograph doesn't show, of course, is that the building is 40 feet away from the Garden Garage project. I have to think those rigs are involved with some kind of remedial/mitigation work involving that... unless we hear otherwise.

Isn’t that the point?

No.

We shouldn't be left with this scar and unable to make progress because a few people think it's symbolic of something. Time to heal and move on. So tired of this culture of always looking in the rear-view mirror that permeates everything these days.

Move on.

I can think of a lot of places in the city I'd rather try to build than directly over the shallowest part of the Green Line tunnel.

No.

We shouldn't be left with this scar and unable to make progress because a few people think it's symbolic of something. Time to heal and move on. So tired of this culture of always looking in the rear-view mirror that permeates everything these days.

Move on.
This feels like the exact sentiment that the Last Tenement should continue to stand as a caution against.

NIMBYism may well be out of control, but this building represents the other extreme, development run amok with total disdain for those being displaced. It has inherent value as a reminder of what can be lost and how people are affected by that.

I'd like to see more of the streetfront reconstructed through there. Maybe start with allowing bookend structures and small scale stuff on nearby parcels.

How do you pronounce "Lomasney" (is it getting the "Wednesday/Pasketti" thing and ending up as Lo man see?)

Why don't we take that worthless piece of land towards the Avalon and reconfigure the street so both ways cut through that? Then we can expand this parcel to meet that strip of land in the upper left and build a larger building on a single larger parcel, all without touching the Last Tenement.

Never thought I see the Last Tenement called a "scar"...

It is a scar, though; a lasting mark from the city’s past trauma. Imo, it shouldn’t be erased regardless of how out of place it looks. It’s an important piece of Boston’s character and history.

It should be added to the National Register of Historic Places. (Unless doing so would prevent something like Poolio’s suggestion on page 1 from coming true, because I think that would be a good use of the space/building).

It is a scar, though; a lasting mark from the city’s past trauma. Imo, it shouldn’t be erased regardless of how out of place it looks. It’s an important piece of Boston’s character and history.

It should be added to the National Register of Historic Places. (Unless doing so would prevent something like Poolio’s suggestion on page 1 from coming true, because I think that would be a good use of the space/building).

As I said in a previous thread, and I will say it again, I think it should be added to the National Register and turned into a museum à la the Tenement Museum in NYC (https://www.tenement.org/). I very much hope it isn't the target for a facadectomy to support a development on the parcel.

Again, nobody has responded to my above post (#30). Why can't we reconfigure the roads there in order to connect to either the mini parcel in the upper left, or the mini parcel to the right in front of the Avalon? We should be able to create a larger parcel one way or the other, and to build NEXT TO the last tenement without needing to destroy or even incorporate it.

EDIT: It looks like Martha Rd to the left would cause problems. However, What about something like this, where we shift Nashua Street to the right of the yellow and partially connect these parcels?

reconfigure edit.jpg

Last edited:
The best solution IMO is to demolish the O'Neill building and run Nashua Street straight through the O'Neill site:

38750470674_a8fd0ab453_z.jpg

The yellow areas could be redeveloped and wrap around the "last tenement" building.

I like that you are thinking outside of the box. My biggest problem with this is that you would need to create another traffic light which could create logjams on Causeway when the lights aren't lined up. What if the bottom of the street instead still lined up with the existing intersection? I realize it would create a couple irregular lots. However, those could be split into multiple buildings each, and maybe lead us to our own version of NYC's Metropolitan Tower. (one on the left below)

1595554140281.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...Yg6DdVRi2ERPpYwXy4jZ3dEbH416C3cqWIxJGjOCFfUOM

Considering this is prime real estate for a new tallest building, or *at least* to go 700', a tower like this could be a reality here. This is without a doubt one of my all time favorite buildings. It has an effect very similar to the Hancock where it looks flat from a certain angle.

1595554158316.png

1595554172466.png

1595554187595.png

Forgive the stupid question, but why do we need to keep Nashua exactly? I don't drive through there, so I don't know how bad traffic already is, but would it not be possible to consolidate Lomasney, Nashua and Martha? Obviously, the Alcott tower and the Whitter Place garage ramps are constraints on making Martha bidi, but if you one way Nashua, in it's current alignment to N/W only, you'd open up a non zero amount of space. It's already possible to do that anticlockwise loop, and would come with the added benefit of cleaning up the science park intersection.

According to Wikipedia, the tenement was erected in the 1870s and, at some point, "was recorded as having upwards of fifty residents." Does anyone know the general layout of the floors?
This is without a doubt one of my all time favorite buildings. It has an effect very similar to the Hancock where it looks flat from a certain angle.
Six minutes and twenty-eight seconds from Lincoln Center. ;)

Back