The Metropolitan Condos | Chinatown

mvulch

Reaction score
I've searched high and low through the archives and can't seem to find an answer..can someone explain the form and/or function of the top of each tower? Purely aesthetic? Drive past these everyday on my way to work and can't come up with it.

For those who need a reference..
2977.jpg

I always assumed it was just a shout out to the eaves incorporated into pagodas (i.e., since this building is in China Town). Interesting question about whether or not they also have a function.

I always assumed it was just a shout out to the eaves incorporated into pagodas (i.e., since this building is in China Town). Interesting question about whether or not they also have a function.

This makes sense, although not immediately obvious! thanks.

A friend at TAT (the architecture firm that did The Metropolitan) said he really has no idea, as the project is from 2004. He said looking at it and judging by their traditional clientele, it's probably just a nod to Chinese pagodas to please the developer, but it could actually function as brise soleil to shade some harsh sun angles on the upper levels and penthouse.

This has always been one of my favorite high rise residences in Boston. I wish there were more like this, more "hats".

A friend at TAT (the architecture firm that did The Metropolitan) said he really has no idea, as the project is from 2004. He said looking at it and judging by their traditional clientele, it's probably just a nod to Chinese pagodas to please the developer, but it could actually function as brise soleil to shade some harsh sun angles on the upper levels and penthouse.

I think I remember reading, around the time it was getting planned, that it was deliberately made in homage to a pagoda's style. Tried googling and found nothing, but of course it was quite a while ago when less got thrown up on the internet.

I think I remember reading, around the time it was getting planned, that it was deliberately made in homage to a pagoda's style. Tried googling and found nothing, but of course it was quite a while ago when less got thrown up on the internet.

There are elements like this on some of the Tufts Medical Center buildings close by as well. Definitely homage to the Chinatown location using the pagoda style. (The ones on the Tufts Medical buildings are even red).

I also love this building and the way it stands out but also integrates with the surrounding neighborhood (it has flanking mid-rise brick wings as well as the tower).

For what it is worth, this is another example of good architecture on a largely affordable building (I believe it is 55% affordable rentals, remainder market rate condos). Interesting that we can get better architecture in mixed-affordable residential than in the all market rate...

Back