The New Retail Thread

Jimmy Johns restaurant is open at The Flats on D. Subs in six minutes, or something like that. They have a following. I didn't find my first sandwich to be great but good enough for the convenience.

There's one opening "soon" by me, and everyone I've talked to RAVES about it. It's probably just new staff breaking in, give 'em a few weeks.

In other news, this is the second most depressing thing that's happened in my parts in a while. The first was BB's closing in the first place, but I had held out hope someone would reopen it.
coming soon dog & cat grooming
self dog wash and daycare
14971663690_798a4f4258_b.jpg

This, and my favorite hole in the wall The Boyne just got bought out by someone in the South End, who's going to upscale it. This gentrification shit is real, son

Gentrification will continue to happen as long as there's a severe shortage of housing. It's happening in Fenway, Southie and Somerville right now. My guess is that JP, Mission Hill and East Boston are next.

JP? Have you been there in the past 10 years? The gentry have moved in.

Jimmy Johns restaurant is open at The Flats on D. Subs in six minutes, or something like that. They have a following. I didn't find my first sandwich to be great but good enough for the convenience.

I live out in the metro Detroit area now (I'm from Boston), and these things are everywhere. They're not bad, not great. The best thing about them is how fast sandwiches are handed to you after you order. THey're all over the place out here, I'd say almost as many of them as there are Subways. Like I said, sandwiches aren't bad, prices are reasonable, its nothing amazing tho. I miss the mom and pop roast beef sandwich shops from back home, which is apparently only a New England thing :(

There's one opening "soon" by me, and everyone I've talked to RAVES about it. It's probably just new staff breaking in, give 'em a few weeks.

In other news, this is the second most depressing thing that's happened in my parts in a while. The first was BB's closing in the first place, but I had held out hope someone would reopen it.
coming soon dog & cat grooming
self dog wash and daycare
14971663690_798a4f4258_b.jpg

This, and my favorite hole in the wall The Boyne just got bought out by someone in the South End, who's going to upscale it. This gentrification shit is real, son

Ugh, that sucks.

I was really hoping we would get a cafe or something along those lines. I go to Swiss Bakers all the time but there aren't really many other options in Lower Allston unless you cross the pike.

There's plenty of old retail spaces on Franklin Street from back in the day. The buildings are still there.

Damn shame it's near impossible to revive that area. Zoned and regulated out of existence.

Something new in Allston Union Square:
IMG_20140914_152429.jpg

And new life for the old Dragon Wok:
IMG_20140914_152849.jpg

^ That whole strip needs to get blown up. Granted the majority of Harvard Ave consists of single story tax-payers, but at least most have a bit of architectural detailing and decent interior spaces to build out. No matter what they do to that strip it's a dump.

An ideal scenario would see it redeveloped alongside the muni lot behind it.

It looks even worse from above.

IMG_20130826_153230.jpg

Yeah, it would be nice if all that wasteful single-story retail was redeveloped. I know a bunch of people who agree. But what can you do? It's all generating revenue, the owner doesn't give a shit, and there's very strong demand for retail right now now now. Garlic & Lemon just expanded and renovated their store too.

The first community meeting about this occurred last week and apparently went well. I don't think there will be too many community obstacles for this one - I think there's a lot of desire for a grocery option in the square outside of McKinnon's, which is good but specialized.

Some other things: Rosebud is reopening under the same name, backed by the same guy who owns Posto and Painted Burro. Tenoch (Medford Sq + North End) is opening a third location where Kickass Cupcakes used to be on Highland St.

Boston Properties may add retail at 100 Federal St.
by Casey Ross, Boston Globe 10/01/13

Link.

Found this buried in Boston Properties' investor conference presentation from last week:

Looks kinda funky...but it looks like there will be a lot more street interaction. Didn't see anything on a start date or whatnot.

Yep... looks like the actual is the Federal St side and the proposed is the Congress side?

I just read the permit in front and according to it, the burger king that once existed next to the Wendy's on Boylston street is now becoming a Chipotle.

10631101_784636204913598_6331790038857373711_o.jpg

Back