The New Retail Thread

Oh wow. Blue Bottle is a really amazing coffee shop based in Oakland, CA. I knew they were coming to Harvard Square but I didn't know they were coming to the Pru!

I'm fairly surprised by the number of new retail/services coming into the Seaport area that cater specifically or primarily to men e.g., Mr. Sid, Bonobos, Seaport Barbers, and the recently announced Peter Millar. Even apparel retailers that accommodate both to men and women like Filson and LL Bean are arguably more rugged and less "feminine" (traditionally speaking only, I'm not trying to get into any kind of debate here). All these retailers will also be concentrated within the One Seaport (Benjamin and VIA) parcel.

I just find it interesting because traditional thinking would indicate that you would want to attract apparel and fashion retailers that cater or balance more towards women? I'm just referencing my experiences when going into stores and noticing that it is not uncommon for the women's section to be larger than the men's, which I think makes sense. I wonder if it is telling about the demographics in the area and/or what they see as the overall demand or opportunity. Or could it be destined to fail by not having more balance?

Anyways, this could just be a throwaway observation, but yes, this is what I think about while still at work on a Friday evening.. :rolleyes: I'm also aware that I've not listed all retail in the general area and that there are stores like Minilux around.

02210 (Seaport) is 55% men, 45% women while Boston overall is 48% men, 52% women. I guess they're just going with the demographics, lol!

I'm fairly surprised by the number of new retail/services coming into the Seaport area that cater specifically or primarily to men e.g., Mr. Sid, Bonobos, Seaport Barbers, and the recently announced Peter Millar. Even apparel retailers that accommodate both to men and women like Filson and LL Bean are arguably more rugged and less "feminine" (traditionally speaking only, I'm not trying to get into any kind of debate here). All these retailers will also be concentrated within the One Seaport (Benjamin and VIA) parcel.

I'm also aware that I've not listed all retail in the general area and that there are stores like Minilux around.

MiniLuxe, By Chloe, SoulCycle, Blue Mercury.... we were due for some dude stores ;)

Oh I know. :) But when you walk by, what % of the customer base is male?

A. There's nothing wrong with a guy going to spin class, ok?
B. There's also nothing wrong with the high % of females I see frequenting By Chloe :)

(Yes, I am being cheeky)

Hmmm.... currently eating By Chloe as I read about By Chloe on an architecture forum.

/cool story

Oh I know. :) But when you walk by, what % of the customer base is male?

A. There's nothing wrong with a guy going to spin class, ok?
B. There's also nothing wrong with the high % of females I see frequenting By Chloe :)

(Yes, I am being cheeky)

Hmmm.... currently eating By Chloe as I read about By Chloe on an architecture forum.

/cool story

Throwing my male support for "By Chloe" into the mix. Having become vegetarian the last few months, I welcome the proliferation of these vegan fast casual food chains across New England. Their vegan mac n' cheeze with 'bacon' (broiled mushrooms) is a concoction of genius.

^ That mac n' cheese is exactly what I was eating last night... first time having it and yeah, it left nothing to be desired. I'm sort of a part time vegetarian--meat maybe two times a week--but regardless of your stance their food is super tasty and flavorful. Personal favorites: spicy thai salad, pesto meatballs, avocado pesto pasta.

Plus, the female clientele there are 💯💯💯

My beef (er, vegan-beef) with By Chloe is that it's expensive, slow, and the portions are less-than-adequate. Every time I've eaten there I've left hungry, disappointed, and feeling like I've been ripped off.

Isn't that how it goes with these sort of new generation/millennial chic/avocado toast fetishizing places though? Either you choose quantity OR you get quality, and if you go for quality then you're going to pay through the nose to really feel full. By Chloe isn't a place I'll be frequenting very often, but a couple times a month? Why not.

Also, if you know of a place that has real quality, quantity AND churns it out of the kitchen in record time then I'm all ears.

Isn't that how it goes with these sort of new generation/millennial chic/avocado toast fetishizing places though? Either you choose quantity OR quality, and if you go for quality then you're going to pay through the nose to really fill up. By Chloe isn't a place I'll be frequenting very often, but a couple times a month? Sure.

Also, if you know of a place that has real quality, quantity AND churns it out of the kitchen in record time then I'm all ears.

Maybe the portions are smaller because it's a healthy eating option?

If you eat 3000 calories of vegan food a day you are still going to be a fat ass. What food made up those calories doesn't make much of a difference.

I see what you're saying, but I think it also stands that a lot of these newer healthy restaurants, even if you aren't a huge eater, can leave you feeling hungry.

Maybe the portions are smaller because it's a healthy eating option?

If you eat 3000 calories of vegan food a day you are still going to be a fat ass. What food made up those calories doesn't make much of a difference.

By Chloe's veggie burger is basically a snack, and it still costs $10-and-up. Compare that to a place like Clover, where a sandwich costs $8 and is adequate for a meal. Or Shake Shack, where a double burger (albeit not vegan or low-calorie, but definitely still quality) is $8 and change (or a mushroom burger is $7).

This isn't a question of healthy versus unhealthy or quality versus quantity. By Chloe is just more expensive than its peers for less food. You're paying for their "hip SoHo/Williamsburg/West Village" schtick more than their product.

In order for a food to be a truly "healthy eating option" it has to make you feel full. If you leave still hungry then you haven't gained anything.

Last edited:
Crossposting from the Landmark Center thread, since I figured this thread would be interested too :)

Time Out has signed a lease for a food hall in the Landmark Center.

Some of the key points:

- Roughly 21,500 sqft of indoor retail space plus 3,700 sqft of outdoor seating (unclear if this is just the new park out front or something different)
- There will sixteen food stalls, two bars, a cooking academy and a retail shop
- Construction on renovations has already started
- Expected to open in first half of 2019

I'm really excited to see this open. Food courts are already hugely popular in cities such as NYC and London, so I'm glad to see them getting traction in Boston.

The phrase “food courts” always make me think of the original one in the Burlington Mall, before they added the second floor.

PRU
Dig Inn has FINALLY opened at the Prudential Center. Anna's and Godiva continue to be under construction, as do Blue Bottle Coffee and Canada Goose.

SEAPORT

Equinox has opened in the Seaport as of yesterday, 10/17. There is a Juice Press location inside the gym.

Scorpion Bar and The Grand open next week. Kings opens 10/30. Tuscan Kitchen and Caffe Nero appear to be opening very soon.

To add to new retail in the Seaport, now open:
  • Seaport Barbers
  • Bonobos
  • Equinox + Juice Press
  • Honeygrow (100 Northern Ave)

Close to opening:
  • Sweetgreen
  • La Colombe Coffee
  • Bank of America
  • Caffè Nero
  • The Grand + Scorpion Bar
  • Mr. Sid
  • Tuscan Kitchen
  • Core Power Yoga (in the base of one of the Vertex buildings)

Not sure about:
  • ShowPlace Icon Theater
  • Kings
  • Filson
  • LL Bean
  • Luke's Lobster
  • 75 on Seaport Square
  • Lulu Lemon
  • Peter Millar
  • Warby Parker
  • Hopsters
  • Better Bagel Company (base of Watermark building)
  • The Smoke Shop (former Tavern Road Space)

PRU
Dig Inn has FINALLY opened at the Prudential Center. Anna's and Godiva continue to be under construction, as do Blue Bottle Coffee and Canada Goose.

SEAPORT

Equinox has opened in the Seaport as of yesterday, 10/17. There is a Juice Press location inside the gym.

Scorpion Bar and The Grand open next week. Kings opens 10/30. Tuscan Kitchen and Caffe Nero appear to be opening very soon.

Back