The New Retail Thread

The deck looks very cool!

Slight tangent - unpopular opinion but I hate haymarket. Such an eyesore, seedy, dirty, super annoying to walk through….would love to see it go away.

I know you said its an unpopular opinion, but a lot folks depend on Haymarket for affordable fresh produce. My parents would drive from Burlington every Saturday and Sunday just to stock up for the week.

While Haymarket can be unsightly to look at, it's a one of the few things that remain from the bygone era of Boston that I still appreciate. To your point, I think Haymarket can be cleaned up a little bit to not look like such a shanty operation. It would be nice of the city partnered with the vendors to create some more uniformity.

Gordon Ramsay Burger joint opened in the Canopy this weekend. The place was packed. The have the deck overlooking the greenway on one side and Haymarket activities on the other. Great location for people watching.

I love the space (and the fact that it's open), but am not thrilled with the tenant. It's such a unique space and location that it somehow feels cheapened by a Gordon Ramsay branded concept. Maybe the food/beverages are incredible, but I would have loved to have seen something more uniquely Boston right in the heart of Haymarket.

Similarly, Smoke Shop BBQ opened in Eastie this past weekend. It's a great waterfront location, however, I'm less than enthused about getting the same (admittedly, not bad for Boston) BBQ here that I can grab in 5 other locations nearby. What's worse is that there's no liquor license for the foreseeable future. So it's not as if drinks with a view is an options either. Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but it seems like a missed opportunity.

I'm shocked that a resturant would seriously open without a liquor license.

I'm shocked that a resturant would seriously open without a liquor license.

It doesn't sound like it was the original plan. There's talk of this specific example in a recent Globe article. They originally hoped to get an East Boston restricted license. But now that's apparently not happening and they can't justify the $500k (or more) for a standard license. My guess is that they were too far into the project to pull the plug, so opening without the license was a better alternative to keeping it closed until a license is (possibly) made available.

Long story short, the liquor licensing issue in MA (Boston in particular) is nothing short of insane and it needs to be fixed.

I love the space (and the fact that it's open), but am not thrilled with the tenant. It's such a unique space and location that it somehow feels cheapened by a Gordon Ramsay branded concept. Maybe the food/beverages are incredible, but I would have loved to have seen something more uniquely Boston right in the heart of Haymarket.

Similarly, Smoke Shop BBQ opened in Eastie this past weekend. It's a great waterfront location, however, I'm less than enthused about getting the same (admittedly, not bad for Boston) BBQ here that I can grab in 5 other locations nearby. What's worse is that there's no liquor license for the foreseeable future. So it's not as if drinks with a view is an options either. Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeon, but it seems like a missed opportunity.
I think the Gordon Ramsey burger joint is there because it is such a tourist zone. A nationally branded franchise probably tests better with the target tourist demographic than a riskier local establishment.

It doesn't sound like it was the original plan. There's talk of this specific example in a recent Globe article. They originally hoped to get an East Boston restricted license. But now that's apparently not happening and they can't justify the $500k (or more) for a standard license. My guess is that they were too far into the project to pull the plug, so opening without the license was a better alternative to keeping it closed until a license is (possibly) made available.

I was under the impression that booze is so important that most people won't go to a resturant without it. Maybe they could allow BYOB?

I was under the impression that booze is so important that most people won't go to a resturant without it. Maybe they could allow BYOB?

Wasn't there a effort to make BYOB easier? It isn't what we are used to in Boston, but certainly works well in other places. I remember going out for upscale dinner in Philly and ordering a pitcher of mixer for margaritas--BYOTequila.

I think the Gordon Ramsey burger joint is there because it is such a tourist zone. A nationally branded franchise probably tests better with the target tourist demographic than a riskier local establishment.

Maybe, but there are plenty of very successful non-chains/national brands in touristy areas. I'd wager that between the liquor license and the rent in such a prime location, the number of potential tenants was pretty limited and Ramsay won out.

It is pretty important (vitally so, in many cases). It's pretty drastic percentage of most restaurants' sales. We'll see what happens here, but I don't imagine Smoke Shop lasts unless it gets a liquor license in the next year or so. It sounds like the owner was banking on it - their whiskey and cocktails are a big part of their package. The food itself is not high margin stuff - it's not much more expensive than what you'd grab at a BBQ shack out in the boonies. And it's certainly more expensive to lease and run a 90-seat waterfront restaurant in Boston. You have to sell a LOT of $13 pulled pork sandwiches and $23 slabs of ribs to make up for the loss of liquor sales.

Maybe, but there are plenty of very successful non-chains/national brands in touristy areas. I'd wager that between the liquor license and the rent in such a prime location, the number of potential tenants was pretty limited and Ramsay won out.

It is pretty important (vitally so, in many cases). It's pretty drastic percentage of most restaurants' sales. We'll see what happens here, but I don't imagine Smoke Shop lasts unless it gets a liquor license in the next year or so. It sounds like the owner was banking on it - their whiskey and cocktails are a big part of their package. The food itself is not high margin stuff - it's not much more expensive than what you'd grab at a BBQ shack out in the boonies. And it's certainly more expensive to lease and run a 90-seat waterfront restaurant in Boston. You have to sell a LOT of $13 pulled pork sandwiches and $23 slabs of ribs to make up for the loss of liquor sales.
But you kind of made my point. In a high rent, expensive liquor license location the backers are going to say "name brand for tourists". The successful local establishments are usually the ones grandfathered in, or have had their liquor license forever, or are a bit more off the tourist track for lower rent.

I don't understand why the City doesn't just petition the Legislature to let them handle their own liquor licensing like EVERY OTHER CITY AND TOWN. And if the Legislature says no, drag the hell out of them publicly for it.

A new BYOB bar! Barlette in Brookline. I actually saw this earlier today on Reddit, people couldn't understand a BYOB bar. It's a new start up to a sister restaurant called Cobble, also BYOB. They are both in the Arcade building in Coolidge Corner. The arcade actually has a wine and spirits store also. Unique partnerships going on in the arcade building.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I don't understand why the City doesn't just petition the Legislature to let them handle their own liquor licensing like EVERY OTHER CITY AND TOWN. And if the Legislature says no, drag the hell out of them publicly for it.

Because the legislature doesn't want to cede that power to the city. And there are politicians on the record arguing that more liquor licenses from the state would depress the value of an important asset held by their constituents (restaurant and bar owners). It's a no-good 4 dimensional circular firing squad that's going to require motivated political leadership to reach a break through, and I don't see it happening easily. Honestly, and I hate this when people say it, but go bug your local city councilors and state reps about this. I've done it myself and even though a few phone calls won't push new legislation through it will increase the salience of the issue.

I know you said its an unpopular opinion, but a lot folks depend on Haymarket for affordable fresh produce. My parents would drive from Burlington every Saturday and Sunday just to stock up for the week.

While Haymarket can be unsightly to look at, it's a one of the few things that remain from the bygone era of Boston that I still appreciate. To your point, I think Haymarket can be cleaned up a little bit to not look like such a shanty operation. It would be nice of the city partnered with the vendors to create some more uniformity.

Why don’t they go to market basket? Parking is free.

The City has been trying this for years with little success!

Why don’t they go to market basket? Parking is free.
They had a thing for Haymarket. They also liked coming to the city for the halal butchers and fish mongers.

Went to the Natick Mall this morning. To my surprise, Wegmans looked like they are ready to close up shop, despite not publicly announcing an end date.

Also converting the former Neiman Marcus to lab space appears to be a bust. The building looks empty and they have a giant sign advertising the available space. Guess the Lab Space gold rush is over. I think they would take a retail client at this point.

Back