The New Retail Thread

In fairness to Frye's they may be treating the store as a loss-leader anyway.

EDIT: Just noticed Blinkieob's last sentence which says pretty much the same thing.

^^What's the matter? Boston NEEDS another Mexican food emporium (I won't call them restaurants).

I'm also sure that having a flagship store in the region will elevate their brand awareness and online sales, which has to be factored into the decision as well.

The store's not even open yet and it did that for me.

I always wondered when Boston was getting one of these. Can't wait to open Airtran's GO Magazine and see Boston added to the list of cities with a Fogo De Chao. This chain is definitely one of the most heavily advertised I've seen anywhere.

Semi-related: Brazilian Grill in Hyannis is outstanding. Better than mos of the Brazilian chains I've been to. Never tried Fogo, though.

I've only ever been to one Brazilian restaurant, Midwest Grill in Cambridge. Do they all do the thing where they circulate meat to tables, bringing it on sort of machete-length knives?

I've only ever been to one Brazilian restaurant, Midwest Grill in Cambridge. Do they all do the thing where they circulate meat to tables, bringing it on sort of machete-length knives?

Most of the ones around here to anyway. It's called "rodizio" and it's part of the gimmick (though I enjoy it). I've been to a few more hole in the wall style places that don't do it.

The two main types are rodizio and por kilo.

One is all you can eat, they bring the food to you. In Brazil, that means besides brining you meats (a shit load more cuts than youll ever find in the US) they also bring you pastas. The buffets are usually enormous, and include sushi and such. Higher end places (in brazil) will include crab, whole roasted pork etc.

Por Kilo is just a buffet and you pay by weight, but you also get meats fresh off the grill (not sitting in a stew). Cafe Belo was the big Boston chain of the type.

I think the reason Fogo didnt come to Boston before is because Cafe Belo was so big. There was also the churascaria on brighton ave thas now a shabu place.

Ive been to the original Fogo in Sao paulo, not sure how the american chain compares. The best part of the real ones is the huge quantity of meat. In the US, places like Midwest grill have like 3 cuts of beef vs 15+.

Fogo do Chao in Atlanta is every bit as good as it's Sao Paulo namesake or any other rodizo I've eaten at in Brazil or Argentina. I have been there with Brazilian friends from Porto Alegre (which is the real epicenter of Brazlian beef done rodizio style) and they raved as well. They asked if the meat was imported (as Brazilian and Argentinean beef brings a tear to the eye and I am not even a steak-lover) and surprisingly, they said no--it's sources here in the USA.

Whoa.

See what happens when you start letting women in.

A museum piece! I was in there almost a year ago on a cold Friday evening at the bar during dinner time and there were only 4 tables in use in the dining room, all by what looked like well heeled tourists. It was like watching people eat in one of those preserved New England house rooms in the basement of the MFA. Lydia tried and others have tried but it is done.

Let's stay vigilant so we don't see any buyer of this place working with the MCLA next door and trying to shut off the alley between Winter Place and Temple Place.

Locke-Ober owner David Ray explains his decision to close

By Brian McGrory, Globe Staff

David Ray, the owner of the venerable Locke-Ober, called this morning to confirm what a city already knew. He has sold the building on Winter Place in Downtown Crossing, shuttered his restaurant, and is moving on.

“All done,” Ray said, pausing for a moment. “I think we gave it a good effort.

“Here’s what I was faced with,” Ray continued. “I had a choice. Make Locke-Ober more casual, lower our standards to conform with the way society is today, or I could close it. I could close it with its history and its dignity intact. Because, frankly, it looked as good as it’s ever looked. The service was good, and the food was good.”

“It’s unfortunate,” Ray continued. “It’s bittersweet for me. I’ve owned it since 1978.”

But the reality, Ray has learned over the past decade or more, is that Boston has changed, often for the better, but not always so. An increasingly younger city is on a constant search for the next new thing, restaurants being no exception. Formality, here as everywhere, is a thing of the past.

Which is why the Ritz-Carlton on Arlington Street is no longer the Ritz, and even before it changed ownership to the Taj, it had shuttered its second floor dining room overlooking the Public Garden. It’s why the famed Oak Room at the Fairmont Copley Plaza has been completely reimagined into the contemporary and snappy-sounding OAK Long Bar + Kitchen. It’s why L’Espalier now has contemporary quarters in a modern hotel. It’s why Maison Robert in downtown Boston and Aujourd’hui at the Four Seasons are no more.

Locke-Ober, for a long period of time, represented Boston, or a certain element of Boston, that which is bound in tradition. Founded in 1875, it’s where the captains of downtown industry mingled with the city’s most prominent lawyers and financiers over lunches composed of lobster stew and thick cut steaks. Famed maitre d’ Tony Accardi presided masterfully at the door. Jackets were required of diners, and many of the waiters – all male – marked their tenures not in years, but decades.

Presidents visited, along with sports stars, Hollywood actors, and power brokers from coast to coast. Some diners were so regular that the Globe once published a map of the dining room showing who sat where. When customers died, their chairs were leaned against the tables to signify the loss.

But maybe too many of those regulars died, or vacated the decreasingly desirable Downtown Crossing, or retired to Florida. Times have changed. Long, liquid lunches have slipped into the past. Heavy food has given way to salads. Ray sat in his own dining room as recently as last year and joked about the calorie-rich offerings. “I knew something was wrong when I couldn’t eat here,” he said.

Still, while Ray tinkered with the menu and made jackets optional, for the most part, Locke-Ober has resisted any radical transformation. If it had succumbed to the times, it wouldn’t have been Locke-Ober.

Rumors have abounded since the late 1990s over the restaurant’s future. At one point, John Kerry was believed to be a potential suitor to buy it. Famed chef Lydia Shire was brought in as a principal a little more than a decade ago and the room underwent a mild renovation and deep cleaning, but even that didn’t stop the decline. Shire has since moved on.

“Business has been OK,” said Ray, a Newport-based restaurateur. “You have busy nights and you have nights when there are 25 people in there. I wasn’t losing any money. We were just treading water.”

Ray said the new owners plan to put housing in the upper quarters of the building, where there is now a warren of private dining rooms, including one tiny alcove reputed to be the site of more marriage proposals than any other room in Boston.

Those new owners will likely put a restaurant on the first floor, city officials said in confirming that a purchase and sales agreement has been signed on the building. But it will be something different.

“There’s not going to be another Locke-Ober in that building,” Ray said. “I’m the one locking the door.”

Brian McGrory can be reached at mcgrory@globe.com.

I've never been and it is unlikely I ever would have gone, but it was always comforting to know it was there for some reason.

Very few 'Old Boston' institutions left.
Durgin Park, Union Oyster House, Jacob Wirth's, Parker House Hotel ....???

I've been to Locke Ober a few times. The last time I went was about 2 years ago and I was waiting at the bar to meet someone and there was a small (probably 20 inch at best) silver flat panel TV playing a soccer game sticking out of some intricate, dark molding around a mirror.

It was such a little thing, but That killed Locke Ober for me. The food was good (especially under Lydia Shire), but not better than any other truly high end place in the city. Each time I visited, the dining room was close to empty. It definitely felt like it was dying or near dead for a while.

It's a beautiful spot, and one that I think can easily be utilized as something else; but I think it's time to let Locke Ober die for good.

I'd add Marliave to the list of great "Old Boston" restaurants (maybe not quite an institution). I love the bar area and the dining room upstairs is, I think, one of the best spots for a romantic dinner. The big windows overlooking Bromfield and Province St. make for a really great view. I've enjoyed the food and it's not outrageously priced.

Don't know how I forgot Marliave. They did a good job of renovating the place without ruining it's vibe.

Marliave's reinvention would actually be a pretty good model for a reopened Lock-Ober. Keep the classic vibe (which is blowing up right now) but loose the stuffy.

Back