The New Retail Thread

Intriguing. That said, I am familiar with vent designs, particularly for restaurants in tall and/or deep buildings where the restaurant space isn't a thru space (e.g., doesn't have front and back wall access), where the kitchen is indeed vented to the frontage street. Oftentimes going UP or BACK is not possible, so overhead vents like this type that are used as a least circuitous path from the hoods.

(I don't doubt the fake smell is also used for marketing sometimes, too)

Don't get me wrong. I know that there are real street facing restaurant vents. I just get suspicious when there is one that is always emitting a really nice aroma.

Don't get me wrong. I know that there are real street facing restaurant vents. I just get suspicious when there is one that is always emitting a really nice aroma.

Agreed. Especially those pretzel stores in the airports and cinnabons in the malls!

Thomas pink does this...smells so good in there

I used to work in a building with one of the Kendal Tatte's on the first floor. The smell from the baking is quite real and would infuse the elevators by late afternoon. No fakery necessary

I used to work in a building with one of the Kendal Tatte's on the first floor. The smell from the baking is quite real and would infuse the elevators by late afternoon. No fakery necessary

Curcuas -- Real bakeries doing real baking don't need to fake it even in a mall -- Chain operations doing reheats of stuff that arrives already baked from a manufacturing plant do need to fake it -- no matter where they are located

The one exception if you take something unbaked but refrigerated or even frozen and bake it -- well then you get the "fresh baked" smell -- whether you deserve to or not that's another matter

Even in Paris there are bread shops that bake premanufactured stuff coming from giant factories -- but in one of the good French Bureaucratic edicts -- to be a Boulangerie -- you still must bake from scratch
Une boulangerie est un type de commerce de détail de fabrication et de vente de pain
L'action de fabriquer puis le lieu de fabrication est devenue boulenguerie, attesté en 1314, boulengerie en 1611 et boulangerie en 1680
Ce décret de 1997 déboucha sur la loi du 25 mai 1998 et sur la création des articles L121-80, L121-81 et L121-82 du code de la consommation.

Unfortunately, the EU in all its Imperial Wisdom [2010] has decreed that if the products are carried about from the place of manufacture in wholesale commerce -- then you can not distinguish between Maman et Papa making it by hand, or a giant factory with hundred meter long ovens convection baking bread passing though on a conveyor [engagé dans la fabrication du pain au kilomètre]
http://www.paul-usa.com/en/content/7-our-values#
bread-loaf-tradional-400gr-14oz.jpg

:)

BTW, no great smell walking by just now, which isn't shocking because they did their morning rush baking 5 hours ago. However, 7:30 is just when you'd want to be faking it.

Anyone know why Hillstone is closing this week for good? Seemed like a pretty good restaurant and usually busy.

i think they said on Eater that the lease was up and they decided not to renew and that they wouldnt be looking to relocate either. I'd guess the rent is very high in that location

i think they said on Eater that the lease was up and they decided not to renew and that they wouldnt be looking to relocate either. I'd guess the rent is very high in that location

I think i saw it on reddit, but someone had said the rent was $50,000/month.

Nice - me too. A great find!

There has been plenty of discussion here before regarding the lack of a decent fast-casual burger spot in the West End / Bullfinch Triangle / Beacon Hill area. Given that, and the Garden right next door, this seems like a total no-brainer.

Especially now that Griddlers (not great, but filled a void) has vacated Cambridge Street.

I'm so excited assuming it's true. I'd like Shake Shack, but I'll take a Tasty Burger.

Caffe Nero adding two locations in Brookline - 1 Harvard Street in Brookline Village and 1633 Beacon Street in Washington Square (formerly 7-11). Sourced this off the Planning Board calendar while trawling around for info on the former Coolidge Corner Walgreens (where there is light activity but no news that I can find).

The Yo! Sushi is opening 10/26 in Watermark Seaport. And Chipotle is open in 101 Seaport.

Everybody fights taking over (almost) all of the empty retail space at 1 federal.

Caffe Nero adding two locations in Brookline - 1 Harvard Street in Brookline Village and 1633 Beacon Street in Washington Square (formerly 7-11). Sourced this off the Planning Board calendar while trawling around for info on the former Coolidge Corner Walgreens (where there is light activity but no news that I can find).

Caffe Nero also opening a new location in Central Sq., Cambridge. They are really expanding briskly in the Boston area.

Caffe Nero also opening a new location in Central Sq., Cambridge. They are really expanding briskly in the Boston area.

They are also opening a location at the Millennium Tower in mid-november. The Millennium tower will also host Pabu a Japanese seafood restaurant,

"Boston Coffee House" opening in One Greenway.

Also, Blaze ("build your own 3-minute wood fired pizza") is coming to 10 Park Plaza/City Place

Back