The New Retail Thread

In addition to Blue Bottle opening in the 100 Fed lobby, Bailey & Sage (salad place) and Aceituna Grill (Mediterranean place) will be opening later this year.

I'm sure they'll do fine, but it would have been nice to see something a little open up shop in there. Those categories are pretty well accounted for in the area.

TD Bank is opening in 1325 Boylston next to Sephora.

Caffe Nero is opening on Newbury Street near Nike.

Barry’s Bootcamp is opening next to where Turner Fisheries used to be in Copley.

Could anyone just provide the rundown?

Oscar de la Renta, 24 Newbury

Tea Forte, 91 Newbury

Salon George de Mello, 123 Newbury

JP Licks, 173 Newbury

Maple Beauty, 176 Newbury

Thrive Exchange, 176 Newbury

Caffe Nero, 205-207 Newbury

Skin MD Laser & Cosmetic Group, 209 Newbury

I-CE-NY,217 Newbury

Chubbies, 220 Newbury

Safar + Serafina, 235 Newbury

Suitsupply, 240A Newbury

City Smoke Shop, 324 Newbury

Vans, 328 Newbury.

Reformation, 342 Newbury

Motion Stretch Studio, 351 Newbury St.

Oscar de la Renta, 24 Newbury

Tea Forte, 91 Newbury

Salon George de Mello, 123 Newbury

JP Licks, 173 Newbury

Maple Beauty, 176 Newbury

Thrive Exchange, 176 Newbury

Caffe Nero, 205-207 Newbury

Skin MD Laser & Cosmetic Group, 209 Newbury

I-CE-NY,217 Newbury

Chubbies, 220 Newbury

Safar + Serafina, 235 Newbury

Suitsupply, 240A Newbury

City Smoke Shop, 324 Newbury

Vans, 328 Newbury.

Reformation, 342 Newbury

Motion Stretch Studio, 351 Newbury St.

All seem like the same thing Newbury street already had. How about some sort of restaurant scene? Or something that’s happening after 10pm?

Lrfox, thanks for providing the Newbury St. list.

Nothing really stood out to me from the list to be interesting though, personally.

Lrfox, thanks for providing the Newbury St. list.

Nothing really stood out to me from the list to be interesting though, personally.

Agreed.

Anyone else hear read Eater Boston? I love their seasonal openings lists and this one is for Spring 2018 and beyond - lots to wade through. One note is that the Intermission Tavern (one of my favorite buildings in Boston) looks to be on its way out and will be replaced with something called the Fourth Wall - from the same folks behind Union Street Restaurant and Bar in Newton Centre.

https://boston.eater.com/2018/4/2/17136580/new-restaurants-boston-opening-spring-2018

Last edited:
Agreed.

Anyone else hear read Eater Boston? I love their seasonal openings lists and this one is for Spring 2018 and beyond - lots to wade through. One note is that the Intermission Tavern (one of my favorite buildings in Boston) looks to be on its way out and will be replaced with something called the Fourth Wall - from the same folks behind Union Street Restaurant and Bar in Newton Centre.

https://boston.eater.com/2018/4/2/17136580/new-restaurants-boston-opening-spring-2018

Correct, the IT has been in the process of being sold for several months. It is finally at the point of closing, which was supposed to be last week, but there has been a three-week extension due to some negotiating/paperwork issues still being finalized. So if you like the IT (personally I think their food went downhill at the end), now's the chance for one last visit.

Across the street from Paul, The Well Coffee House is opening up in the old Pret space. I'd call this an upgrade/net win. The Well has a kiosk in South Station and I think they do a pretty good amount of business in corporate locations (they have a spot at Nixon Peabody at 100 Summer). Pretty good coffee which this area could use a bit more of.

Kfuayiv.jpg

Across the street from Paul, The Well Coffee House is opening up in the old Pret space. I'd call this an upgrade/net win. The Well has a kiosk in South Station and I think they do a pretty good amount of business in corporate locations (they have a spot at Nixon Peabody at 100 Summer). Pretty good coffee which this area could use a bit more of.

Kfuayiv.jpg

Looking forward to this, can never have enough good coffee! Especially considering that location of Pret sucked big time.

I work in the immediate area on Court St and it is a pretty good area for coffee. Between Render, Ogawa, Recreo, Ziggy's and Clover its a pretty good rotation. Also George Howell isnt far if you want to walk to DTxing or the public market.

George Howell is the gold standard, and a company with local roots. That said, I go for the coffee, not the customer service experience. Blue Bottle (in the BofA geode) is quite good, but well overpriced. I need to try Flat Black at some point -- I walk past it every morning.

This won't affect many people here but the Rite-Aid on the corner of Cambridge St and Bowdoin St is closing.

They were going to switch over to a Walgreens but the landlord supposedly doubled the rent.

It will probably fill just as quickly as the Burger King and Finagle spaces down the street.

Why are commercial real estate owners so bad at pricing their product?

This won't affect many people here but the Rite-Aid on the corner of Cambridge St and Bowdoin St is closing.

They were going to switch over to a Walgreens but the landlord supposedly doubled the rent.

It will probably fill just as quickly as the Burger King and Finagle spaces down the street.

Why are commercial real estate owners so bad at pricing their product?

Greed

Back