The Official MBTA System Map

Seeing this map makes one realize how dumb and silly it is for the MBTA to have the 22 duplicate the Orange Line between Ruggles and Jackson Square. We already have the Orange Line between Ruggles and Jackson Square, so the MBTA's decision to keep the 22 between Jackson Square and Ruggles is redundent and an unnecessary waste of buses, with how anemic the bus network is. If you want to get between Ruggles and Jackson Square, the Orange Line already exists as the more reliable option. Huge missed opportunity to reroute the 22 from Jackson Square to Brookline Village to alleviate pressure off the 66 and provide the extra crosstown connectivity.
...which is why the BNRD sends the 22 to LMA.

...which is why the BNRD sends the 22 to LMA.
I'm mainly referring to the Heath St. corridor that only gets hourly bus service between Heath St and Jackson Sq. Meanwhile the 22 still duplicates the Orange Line north of Jackson Square. Tremont St already has several bus routes going through it, and Heath St. would provide a more direct routing to reach LMA rather than the routing that duplicates the Orange Line to get from Jackson to LMA. It'd give Brookline Village a OSR to Jackson Sq., which would provide faster trips between west and south.

Last edited:
Ah I see, I had to look up the maps again since there's like a bajillon routes on Tremont St., but there really shouldn't be any buses on Columbus Ave. at all between Jackson Square and Roxbury Crossing.

Back