The Parker Boston (nee LaGrange Tower) | 47-55 LaGrange St. | Downtown

Landmarked? One or two of them are okay....the others are just urban filler. The building on the corner is as unremarkable as they come. I will grant you that having a variegated street wall rather than a bland box is preferable.

This is not is not urban filler anymore - it's an endangered species (urban filler is a block-spanning landscraper with a mechanical parapet). It's not the individual buildings that I think are special, it's the fabric. The fact that some of them are unremarkable just makes the whole more special.

This is not is not urban filler anymore - it's an endangered species (urban filler is a block-spanning landscraper with a mechanical parapet). It's not the individual buildings that I think are special, it's the fabric. The fact that some of them are unremarkable just makes the whole more special.

Hear, hear. Every time I go by there it calls to mind this specific block in NYC on 5th Avenue at 32nd Street. A royal cacophony of facades, rooflines and storefronts.

51654485796_42669fe1f4_c.jpg

And sadly it must be noted that the incredibly gorgeous Beaux Arts building on the corner fell to the real estate gods a few years ago. Ain't nobody replacing that thing in kind.

Love to preserve 1-2 story mostly decrepit dreck on a major corridor, next to transit, in a housing crisis. Let's embrace change.

Hopefully temporary if the other parcel over there gets developed.

Should be. This looks like one of the rare situations where the blank wall actually gets almost completely covered (unlike 45 province). This is how it should be, both buildings going up next to eachother actually cover up the others blank wall. If not being covered they need to come up with better faux-cades to cover the blank wall where visible so not to put a permanent blight on the skyline. It costs extra, but cities should mandate it.

f9effa7a-f6b8-4821-9a89-f72a9b0d2d3b

1-41-lagrange-st-pnf-lagrange-street-elevation-detail*1024xx1464-824-0-20.png

images

Last edited:
Yes, because replacing 2 story decrepit buildings on Stuart street with denser housing is akin to the demolition of the West End.

Not for nothing, but, there has been a ton of loss of prewar buildings and row houses in that area from Stuart St. to the Pike from the Urban Renewal era to Tufts continued expansions. Is this one corner comparable to the West End? No, but, there has been a steady erosion there.

Hear, hear. Every time I go by there it calls to mind this specific block in NYC on 5th Avenue at 32nd Street. A royal cacophony of facades, rooflines and storefronts.

51654485796_42669fe1f4_c.jpg

And sadly it must be noted that the incredibly gorgeous Beaux Arts building on the corner fell to the real estate gods a few years ago. Ain't nobody replacing that thing in kind.
Agreed, a shame that corner building was torn down for this:

I know people have commented on this before, but every single building on that corner needs to be landmarked.

We should definitely save everything starting with that "TICKETS" building and heading left. I'm not convinced about the rest of those buildings on the corner. What's the deal with that "4+" one though? It's such an odd character in there. The other 2 with the Genki Ya and all the graffiti don't look like buildings we need to be fighting for. I do like that step-up effect though.

We should definitely save everything starting with that "TICKETS" building and heading left. I'm not convinced about the rest of those buildings on the corner. What's the deal with that "4+" one though? It's such an odd character in there. The other 2 with the Genki Ya and all the graffiti don't look like buildings we need to be fighting for. I do like that step-up effect though.
Right, I think that's plausible. Also, the economics of saving a 5 story building downtown are a lot better than a one story one...

Back