Votes: 3 6.0%
  • #5 One International Place

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • #4 One Boston Place

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • #3 Federal Reserve

Votes: 26 52.0%

• Total voters
Wow, if it wasn't for this post, I would have continued to assume the Boston FED was built in the 90s.

I don't think it's exactly "beautiful", but there is something about it that just gives it a really impressive look. The materials really make it, don't think you could pull it off with anything else. Ground level sucks though, but hey, what federal building DOESN'T suck around the ground level these days?

It was way ahead of its time. It was actually designed in 1971/72. We truly have an architectural gem of a tower from the 70s here in Boston.

Everything about this tower is stunning from the visuals to the specs:

"The 604-foot 33-story office tower linked to a four-story wing was erected between December 1972 and November 1974. The architects, Hugh Stubbins & Associates, designed the tower office floors that rise from a 140-foot bridge "suspended" in the air between two end cores. A 600 ton truss marks the beginning of the tower's "office in the air." The exterior is natural anodized aluminum, which acts as a curtain wall and weatherproof facing. The aluminum spandrels or "eye-brows" shade the building interior from the sun in the summertime and allow more sunlight in the winter months."
http://www.bos.frb.org/about/history/index.htm

"Green building," right there folks, in 1972.

I worked for a time on the 30th floor. It's a very nice building, inside and out, and a spectacular location. It was one of the first to go up among financial district towers.

As time has evolved in the city of Boston......I think International Place has taken over the symbol of Boston.

When looking at Postcards, the News Stations, Pictures that recognize the city of Boston. The back drop of IP and Rowes Wharf seem to appear more than PRU and Hancock.

Back