The Residences at Forest Hills | 3694 Washington Street | Jamaica Plain

There is some ugly green siding going up randomly along with the gray.

48246087332_f35cbb6dec_z.jpg

Thanks for the pics, Beeline. I'm not a fan of that green accent color, but this is a major addition that is otherwise shaping up nicely.

I bet they put that green in “as a nod to the historic emerald necklace” which is exactly the type of brainless tripe people at the BCDC eat up

That green is gross. Why?
I kind of like the green, though mainly not for the color but for the offset it provides to the gray. There is far too much gray in these buildings, especially when they are just down the street from another group of large apartment buildings that are predominately gray.

I bet they put that green in “as a nod to the historic emerald necklace” which is exactly the type of brainless tripe people at the BCDC eat up
Two birds/one stone: it's also what I like to call "elder millennial green". It's the accent color I associate with 2007-2011ish, and people who went to college then will be just about the target demo for this. For the record I fall firmly into the next cohort, and we are the people responsible for the seafoamy minty green and blush-pink-coral that everything is available in now. Think, "iPod Nano colors" vs "iPhone X" colors.

looks like the building's color scheme was inspired by the gray asphalt and the green crosswalk :cautious:

I know I've said it before, but I really despise the green.

My biggest issue about what's been built is the thinness of the trim, it might work for a single-family or even a triple decker, but it just doesn't read on a 5-6 story building. A 1/2"-3/4" difference in thickness between the clapboard field and the trim vanishes; with the windows in the same plane the facade just appears as a tight membrane. That and the contrasting flat white trim just makes the facade look cartoonish.
The grey facades that abut Washington and the Casey Arborway are more promising.
The Metromark, on Washington across the Casey Arborway, did far better.

I know I've said it before, but I really despise the green.
i like green, but not sure if this is very good.....
on the plus side--the turnaround since the thread posted is a just bit over 3 years--
a rarity in too much of the City--

Last edited:
My primary reaction is that this looks cheap. It is flat as a pancake and big. The green is clearly there to "break up the mass," which it can't because the mass is too big to preak up with color changes. And I totally agree that the small-residential scale detailing is silly on buildings this size. They couldn't even be bothered to color match all of those vents.

Compare to the Whitter Choice buildings where strict monetary controls and wacky rules from Washington DC have resulted in a much nicer looking building. We desperately need the housing and this location is perfect. I just wish it was a little be better in materiality and execution.

My biggest issue about what's been built is the thinness of the trim, it might work for a single-family or even a triple decker, but it just doesn't read on a 5-6 story building. A 1/2"-3/4" difference in thickness between the clapboard field and the trim vanishes; with the windows in the same plane the facade just appears as a tight membrane. That and the contrasting flat white trim just makes the facade look cartoonish.
The grey facades that abut Washington and the Casey Arborway are more promising.
The Metromark, on Washington across the Casey Arborway, did far better.

Back