The Smith | 660 Harrison Avenue | South End

Re: Leggat McCall proposal | Between Harrison Ave and Albany St | South End

Boston Globe said:
Calise & Sons Bakery of Lincoln, R.I., will take over Quinzani’s business and will make most of the bakery’s products in conjunction with Piantedosi Baking Co. in Malden.

(link)

Side note -- this block is directly across Harrison from Cathedral Housing, one of the worst remaining "projects" in the city. At some point, this affordable housing mess needs to be updated (as others in the city have been) otherwise this area will stall out. There has to be a limit to the number of people willing to pay elevated market rents to live next to a crumbling project.

I take it you're not down that way too often. I live on East Brookline St. between Harrison and Albany and walk by the Cathedral Housing Development several times per day, while it is not the prettiest development in the area, it is by no means crumbling, especially since about half of it underwent a major renovation about two years ago. Also, as far as housing developments in this city go, this one is rather quiet.

I take it you're not down that way too often. I live on East Brookline St. between Harrison and Albany and walk by the Cathedral Housing Development several times per day, while it is not the prettiest development in the area, it is by no means crumbling, especially since about half of it underwent a major renovation about two years ago. Also, as far as housing developments in this city go, this one is rather quiet.

I guess I just feel the development deserves more than what was done (I did note the rehab a few years ago). More like the kind of complete rebuilds that have happened in Mission Hill and South Boston. Even Castle Square got better treatment.

I wonder when that last one was built.

Was this approved? I dont think I've seen them do that testing before approval

Developers of a giant apartment project aimed for the South End shared more details in a filing with the city Monday.

The 710-unit, two-building complex between Harrison Ave. and Albany Street near Boston Medical Center will be the tallest new construction in the neighborhood, reaching as high as 19 stories. Images filed with the city show open, glassy buildings in a part of town known for its brick and stone buildings.

The 3.1-acre development, between East Dedham and East Canton Streets, will also include about 14,000 square feet of retail space and 40,000 square feet of office space, along with new open space and an underground garage.

CHKJ0u5.jpg

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...end-complex/BtS6UfHl1kHfySK4ddDkAK/story.html

nice. part of the answer.

That's a lot of parking across East Dedham.
Who owns? How long til it follows suit?

Hmm. SNH Medical Office is the owner of record. "Senior Housing Properties Trust".

http://www.snhreit.com/default.aspx

They also own 1295 Boylston (used to be a Rite-Aid, mostly leased to Children's Hospital), and both Vertex buildings in the Seaport.

The property shows assessed value in 2011 of ~$489,000, jumped to $3.6 million the next year, then this year skyrocketed to $18.223 million!

Is the city pushing them to sell?

Hmm.

project scaled back, height slashed. This from the Herald ...

Leggat McCall Properties has reconfigured plans for its South End residential and commercial development near Boston Medical Center in response to neighborhood concerns about the heights of one of two new proposed buildings.

The Boston-based real 
estate firm initially pitched an approxi-
mately 710,500-square-foot, 710-apartment project with a proposed increase in the allowable height for the area in exchange for more-than-required open space. The development site is nearly a full city block that stretches from Albany Street to Harrison Avenue, between East Canton and East Dedham streets.

“The feedback we got from the community at large … was that they were not excited about allowing us to exceed the height, so we basically have gone back to retool the project to stay within the highest limits prescribed in the (planned development area) zoning,” said William Gause, a Leggat executive vice president and director of acquisitions.

The developer’s original plans for new 19- and 11-story apartment buildings in the middle of the block have been scaled back to two 11-story buildings with approximately 
600 apartments.

continued http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2016/06/south_end_developer_lowers_tower_height

Back