The Smith | 660 Harrison Avenue | South End

Re: Leggat McCall proposal | Between Harrison Ave and Albany St | South End

How incredibly shortsighted. The article doesn't mention it but I would presume that the additional open space for the extra height is off the table. Is there really that big of a difference between a 19 story building and an 11?

Mike -- when you read to the end of the article there is a comment
Leggat also proposed renovating 575 Albany St. as a commercial property at its existing five-story height, but now plans to add five floors to the building, which instead would house about 80 apartments. Its new design also includes adding two floors to the Gambro building, a medical office building at 660 Harrison Ave.

So the project has just been mostly reconfigured -- not so much total change in number of appartments drop from 700 to 680 with the 80 apartments created out of what would have been office space

Overall -- its a bit like squeezing a balloon dog -- some of his body shrinks and his nose grows ;)

That's frustrating. The 19 story building was on the highway side. And it would have created a nice precedent for the Flower Exchange redevelopment.

2qtafz6.png

k2hk8.png

20kop3k.png

2weysfb.png

This is why I can never be a politician.

During my run, I met a couple who live on East Canton, or somewhere. Newer arrivals but "urban friendly". Sort of. They were totally against this project b/c of its size and density.

I see nothing wrong with it. When they complained I was like, "Oh, sure, I see what you mean ..." as I handed them my campaign lit.

Sad to see the main tower downscaled so much.

but we still have Nimby's moaning about the height...... Good god.

Rojas: "i'm just not feeling it."

Greeley: "the developer left sq ft on the table."

Jesus Christ bring the cranes already!!!

APPROVED.

Last edited:

Nice! It sounds like if by the late fall this will be in full construction mode. First building to be completed by Dec 2019.

Since I live right in the middle of a ton of low income housing in Chinatown, it is hardly elitist.

Cathedral Housing, though, is simply a mess that needs (and deserves) an update.

Seriously, I don't think we're doing its current tenants much of a favor. I would not want to displace their community, but the whole thing would probably be much better using modern construction, real HVAC and comfort-efficiency elements, and the preferred scheme of mixed-income projects.

There should be some sort of phased replacement with a net increase in affordable units.

Back