The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

My middle picture stopped working, I reuploaded it. If you zoom in on the ground floor it shows how the back of the tower bumps out over where the hole in the ground would be. The first part is flush with the garage, the next part is wider, then the rear third of the tower is wider and then has an overhang over the sidewalk. Then in the pic a few posts up the bump out on the other side of the rear of the tower hangs over the other side over the garage.

Anyways this is a pretty substantial tower on the skyline, since the towers in the area arent our tallest. This will be a welcomed addition before the much more substantial office tower.

Last edited:
This takes up what, about 10% of the garage footprint? It may look fat, but it feels pretty good about itself.

Way under the radar and the slowest GD building in US history.

It took forever to get out of the ground, but now seems to be growing at the standard ~1 floor per week pace. It just feels like it's nowhere because the tower needs to pass the 8 story garage structure.

I walk by it every day. It's climbing pretty fast now.

That's enough with the hyperbole. Remember this?

02142012_14pangaro_photo2.jpg

That's enough with the hyperbole. Remember this?

Ugh it was such a shame that we lost that facade. The revised tower turned out much better than the original proposal at least, and is ushering in bolder projects than we were used to. Still, that ones hurts, as opposed to tearing down part of this parking garage!

Yea losing that facade really sucks. I wish the city put up more of a fight to preserve it.

Yea losing that facade really sucks. I wish the city put up more of a fight to preserve it.

I'm pretty sure that legally, it wasn't the City's fight to make, as it was a NPS-protected landmark (tethered to the NPS designation on the adjoining Burnham Bldg., I believe), NOT a Boston Landmarks protected landmark. So what you really meant to say was, "I wish the federal government put up more of a fight..."

Or did you mean to say, "in lieu of the feds having abdicated their responsibility to fight to preserve it, I wish the City would've stepped up to takeover the mission"?

That scenario strikes me as awkward, to say the least...

At least we got a nice car port in exchange!

At least we got a nice car port in exchange!

It's an interesting thought that after a certain point buildings became essentially immune from facadectomies... you can't do it with a curtain wall.

Don't think this has been posted yet but took a lucky guess with bulfinchcrossing and it worked...

https://app.oxblue.com/open/bulfinchcrossing

You can now see the yellow screen poking out behind the garage from the Hub on Causeway webcam as well. I walked by this last night and it looks like they should be pouring the 6th floor today or tomorrow. (if they haven't already, tough to tell at night between formed and poured) The structure is quite impressive in person.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/bostonproperties/huboncauseway

I'm pretty sure that legally, it wasn't the City's fight to make, as it was a NPS-protected landmark (tethered to the NPS designation on the adjoining Burnham Bldg., I believe), NOT a Boston Landmarks protected landmark. So what you really meant to say was, "I wish the federal government put up more of a fight..."

Or did you mean to say, "in lieu of the feds having abdicated their responsibility to fight to preserve it, I wish the City would've stepped up to takeover the mission"?

That scenario strikes me as awkward, to say the least...

Actually, the complex was all Landmarked by the Boston Landmarks Commission. Local landmarking is the highest level of protection for a historic building. The NPS can landmark (for example, the Common is a National Historic Landmark) but that doesn't add any review or control to the park, unless very specific state or national level permits, funding, or licensing triggers it.

That said, I hope we all learned from the Millenium project that private companies shouldn't be privatizing big areas near plazas. It's almost as bad as the Intercontinental.

with our 4 or 5 main photo contributors finally taking a well-earned break.....

(sigh)

Crane from Arlington, 12/27. Tower should come into view within 1-2 months I'm guessing. I hope it doesn't block the clock tower from this angle!

IMG_8683 by David Z, on Flickr

Its crazy how long the demo felt compared to how fast it has seemed since it started rising. This is probably the most exciting project right now in Boston based on impact on the skyline. The proportions also feel great, even though the overall design is just average.

Back