Then and Now

Would the Copley Place tower be visible in that shot, or would it be behind the JHT?

It's only about 4 buildings as far as I can tell. Which for 25 years is kinda sad
-that spaceship looking thing
-liberty mutual
-1 back bay
-shit building on st james (10 st james?)

Well, relative to the 1988-1997 period, when only one building in that shot went up, it's a lot.

Can somebody post the picture? I can't see it.

Awesome reddit thread. Here, have some GIFs:

1963-2013
tumblr_msrlc4bfHC1qcr42ko1_500.gif

1943-2013
vwyCeTg.gif

It's really quite amazing to actually see all the buildings that were completely demolished/cut in half to build the CA.

Here are a few I compared from the last couple of years. Before photos are from Boston Public Library's Flickr.

Federal Street:
8658797703_1ccca28c98_b.jpg

City Hall:
7853494526_cc50422fda_b.jpg

Salt Street:
10094146436_0290d86360_b.jpg

FYI, Salt (sic) Street (Salt Lane) is the road behind the Union Oyster House parallel to Union and Blackstone streets. I'll be damned; I had no idea it existed. Never went in that way. Neat.

http://goo.gl/maps/f4Q6G

Wow City Hall has not changed at all. Not even the light fixtures. Nothing. Love the outdoor seating by the restaurant though. Maybe Starbucks could do the same!

Re: Salt Lane. So the cobblestones ... added for "historic reproduction" reasons?

I prefer the first picture; it looks like a real city with some grit. The second photo looks like a suburbanized museum.

long time lurker (circa ablarc days), figured i got some pictures, why not share em

Hefferan St, Allston (first pic is from the 60's i believe)

svqmjc.jpg
2gxij2b.jpg

Pretty soon you are gonna need a third picture for what's about to be built.

I prefer the first picture; it looks like a real city with some grit. The second photo looks like a suburbanized museum.

Have you walked down Salt Lane recently? Plenty o'grit for the nostrils. Lay out some raw hamburger and stand about 50 feet away. You will get a gritty rat soon enough.

What's that half-height wall at far left in the '50s shot?

What's that half-height wall at far left in the '50s shot?

Judging by the vent in the modern picture, I'd say something to do with the subway. Probably a vent, possibly egress.

Back