Troy Boston (formerly Albany St Hotel) | 275 Albany Street | South End

Re: new hotel proposed- Albany St

Fantastic. Thank you!

This may not be the best place to ask this general question, but I will ask it anyhow...

Does Boston need more hotels? I assume that since they keep building them that there must be some demand but it seems like eventually the whole city will just be hotels. Are there some statistics showing how many hotel rooms are occupied on average, kind of like office space vacancy rates?

This may not be the best place to ask this general question, but I will ask it anyhow...

Does Boston need more hotels? I assume that since they keep building them that there must be some demand but it seems like eventually the whole city will just be hotels. Are there some statistics showing how many hotel rooms are occupied on average, kind of like office space vacancy rates?

From person experience, YES.

Its damn near impossible to get a room under 100$ in this city any time of the year.

Ive seen the fenway hojo for 300$+. A MOTEL!

Meanwhile, I got a suite in DC (roselyn) on 4th of july weekend for 129$.

^co-sign jass..its tough to get a prostitute these days!!!

No, really hotels arent cheap

How many fucking accounts have I had on this board???

Anyway:

Group proposes South End hotels
Boston Business Journal - by Eric Convey

Developers Friday filed new plans to develop a former Teradyne Inc. parking lot in Boston?s South End.

The team wants to build two hotels ? one 16 stories, the other nine stories ? with a combined 408 beds, a restaurant and an above ground parking garage.

The lot lies off Albany Street behind the Boston Herald. It?s next to the storage building whose giant Wyland whale mural can by seen from the Southeast Expressway.

The backers are Blue Hawk Investments LLC and Normandy Real Estate Partners.

Who's going to pay for a room here when they can stay at the inn right across the street for free?

As close to exile as you can ever get so close to the city.

briv, what's this about free lodging? Homeless shelter?

Yeah, Pine Street Inn. Stupid joke, I know.

I did once have someone from down south that was planning a very brief visit to Boston ask me if the Pine Street Inn was any good, though. Compared to where they ended up staying, the Fenway HoJos, they probably would have been better off at Pine St. One of the grimiest hotel rooms I've ever seen.

I like the joke Briv. I'm guessing this is going to be the mother of all limited service hotels. Maybe you can get roomservice from Medieval Manor though . . .

I think the location is as least as good as where the Hampton Suites hotel is located, at Crosstown (corners of Albany St and Melnea Cass Blvd.). While you'd be in no-man's (person's) land when it comes to locale, you're at least closer to the entrance to the airport, downtown Boston, and the South End nightlife. It's an encouraging sign for development. While that area (NY Streets) will never be what it once was, it's a step in the right direction. Maybe this will inspire the team that bought the Herald building, a couple years ago.

So, of course, I was too rushed and didn't put any notations on this map. The lower arrow is the approximate location of the Hampton Suites hotel (conveniently located near BU Medical Center AND the Suffolk County House of Corrections) and the approximate location of the proposed two-building hotel (although I'm not clear on which lot it is).

map.png

I think the location is as least as good as where the Hampton Suites hotel is located, at Crosstown (corners of Albany St and Melnea Cass Blvd.). While you'd be in no-man's (person's) land when it comes to locale, you're at least closer to the entrance to the airport, downtown Boston, and the South End nightlife.
Both are OK if you have a car and you don't want to walk around much outside your hotel. Better for business people than tourists.

These hotel locations vividly highlight how much the South End lost in convenience and accessibility when they moved the Orange Line to the railroad tracks. They should have buried it under Washington Street instead. If they had, it would be worth 75 bucks a night per room to these presently somewhat borderline hotels.

There would be fewer iffy grey areas too far from the epicenter. Washington Street used to be the South End's main drag, and the Silver Line has failure written all over it.

Both are OK if you have a car and you don't want to walk around much outside your hotel. Better for business people than tourists.

I disagree, albany street has like 8 different bus lines.

People who stay in hotels rarely take buses.

This is a nice spot for a couple of mid rises. The whole Boston Herald complex and surrounding area (former New York Streets neighborhood) should become a new neighborhood full of buildings of this size.

Are we talking about the former Teradyne building and parking garage at Washington and Herald streets? That's a very short walk to the NE Medical Center Orange Line station.

It's not the parking garage; it's a surface lot on Albany Street. It's not adjacent to the Teradyne building even though it was used by Teradyne employees. There's a Budget truck rental facility adjacent.

The Teradyne building is the one at the top between Washington and Harrison. The parking lot is halfway down on the right off Albany Street.

pkg_lot.png

On a street bounded by parking lots, a couple of hundred yards is too long a walk.

I think the location is as least as good as where the Hampton Suites hotel is located

Agreed from a purely geographic POV, but the block accross the street from the Pine St Inn feels much more sketchy. When the PSI clears out their bed's every monring there's alot of milling around in front of the Inn, the Mobile gas station, and the parking lot where the hotel is planned.

I think the homeless are alot more ubiquitous in this area than the couple of pan handlers you see on Mass Ave in front of the Hampton.

The big dig was too small.

Back