Uber & Lyft as a source of congestion

bakgwailo

Reaction score
The promise of a set fare is a big draw, I certainly like that I can quickly compare fares from Uber and Lyft and choose the cheapest and know exactly what I'm paying. Also the fairly accurate arrival times are useful especially when I'm planning trips to the airport, knowing when I need to leave the get there on time. Also the "card reader" is always working on TNCs and I have confidence that if something went wrong during the journey the company would quickly refund. Also I love the shared ride functionality in TNC apps, makes me feel a little less bad about not taking transit. And makes them cheaper usually. Oh and lastly Lyft gives you Delta skymiles for airport journeys which is a nice bonus.
I always thought there should be a flat rate out of Logan like NYC. As for the card reader - if its out just say you won't pay and even offer to call the police if they make a fuss - its amazing how quickly it magically starts working again. That said, I haven't had a cabby pull the broken credit card machine in years.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
I always thought there should be a flat rate out of Logan like NYC. As for the card reader - if its out just say you won't pay and even offer to call the police if they make a fuss - its amazing how quickly it magically starts working again. That said, I haven't had a cabby pull the broken credit card machine in years.
It's amazing what some competition did for the overall demeanor of cabbies in general.

KentXie

Reaction score
I know cabs now have an app called Curb but I have never used it. Anyone here used it before to hail a cab and if so, what do you think of it?

Lrfox

Reaction score
I always take cabs home from Logan. Not much more expensive if you're not going too far and it's very easy. Not sure why people have become such slaves to Uber/Lyft when–in this particular circumstance–cabs are easier.
As has been mentioned, the promise of the set fare is likely the biggest reason. Meter anxiety is real and it's a lot more comforting to know what you're paying up front. Some other pros for Uber/Lyft:
  • For those unfamiliar with the area, it takes a lot of the worry of cab scams (i.e. taking longer routes to drive up the meter).
  • While Uber/Lyft isn't immune to scams, the opportunity for recourse is better with the ride shares. I've had a number of bad rides refunded entirely, and even more partially refunded. The ability to have anyone look at your route makes it easy.
  • No worrying about cash. Cabs have had card readers for a long time, but drivers prefer cash tips and I've been told it's "broken" many times - including offers to stop at an ATM if I don't have cash (I decline and miraculously the reader works). It's been much better recently (thanks to competition likely), but Uber/Lyft negate this problem.
To your point, I am about 50/50 with cabs from Logan to my home in Somerville. Outside of the busiest times at either the airport (i.e. the Europe arrival window), or the morning/evening rush, rideshares are almost 50% cheaper than cab fares. At peak times, rideshares can match or exceed cab fares, and the wait times in the lot can be 10+ minutes (compared to just walking up and getting in the cab line which is generally short/nonexistent). To/From work, I am right on the Blue Line so it's a no-brainer. From home it's 100% ride share.

I always thought there should be a flat rate out of Logan like NYC. As for the card reader - if its out just say you won't pay and even offer to call the police if they make a fuss - its amazing how quickly it magically starts working again.
Agreed on all counts, but the point is that not having to put up a fight/call (or threaten to call) the police definitely improves the ride experience for most of us and that's a win for Uber/Lyft. I like knowing I'm not going to have to engage in that level of hostility over a $25ish payment on my trip home.

RandomWalk

Reaction score
Knowing the exact route before scheduling the ride is one of the biggest pluses for the TNCs. I have had multiple experiences with cabs taking the TWT tunnel to head north, even when I explicitly tell them to use the Sumner.