Union Square D2.1 | 10 Prospect Street | Somerville

At what height of a core for a building like that does the floor construction begin? If it is steel, shouldn't it be soon?

I suspect the construction of the tower crane was the starting gun for structural steel. It will go up shortly.

FWIW, drove by this at lunchtime today and there is a ton of activity. One of the busiest construction sites I've seen, including the Green Line station.

FWIW, drove by this at lunchtime today and there is a ton of activity. One of the busiest construction sites I've seen, including the Green Line station.

I just walked past and you're absolutely correct, but part of that is that work on the GLX has been noticably sluggish the past few weeks. In comparision, most projects look active.

Piles going in for the 9 story lab building - why concrete, why not the usual steel piles?

B4DD3CCF-2E68-4432-8288-24E4CBB65196.jpeg

Man I love seeing this multi-polar core model taking shape in Boston. Its coming right on time. Downtown doesnt have much space left without demolishing the things that make it so amazing, but thats fine because this model is going to truely unlock the potential of the city. The old model of cramming everybody into downtown from 9-5 and then the exudus outwards to the suburbs is outdated and going away just in time.

Were now making it so every neighborhood is going to have its own mini downtown, meaning people will be able to live much closer to work allowing for transit, biking, walking to become actually realistic modes of everyday transit. Another positive is the extensive commuter rail network that is vastly underutilized just sitting there ready to transform the region. Until we get nsrl it will never be fully realized, but the changes were making toward regional rail in the meantime are still going to have a huge impact.

With the multi-polar core model people who live in suburbs along commuter rail lines will be able to commute to cores along the way that are no longer downtown like new balance, bayside, allston yards, etc.

I love those two little white cupolas on the roofs of that brick apartment block. Cool little touch from the past. Really puts some nice little spires on the skyline like old churches used to on old cities. Too bad many more apartment blocks hadnt done the same.

I love those two little white cupolas on the roofs of that brick apartment block. Cool little touch from the past. Really puts some nice little spires on the skyline like old churches used to on old cities. Too bad many more apartment blocks hadnt done the same.

Agreed. Imagine what that building would look like without them: plain brick block. Add the spires, and suddenly it looks like an institution.

Yeah - the crane indeed grew by ~45’. But how and especially why would you add more sections after you’ve already put the cross arm on top?? Also, I finally managed to catch someone making their way up to the top. I think he was taking a breather.

A3794FA6-3F80-48B2-B4E1-85E7F6CEBB96.jpeg
53458342-A1D3-4040-977C-3942B22F56C3.jpeg

Yeah - the crane indeed grew by ~45’. But how and especially why would you add more sections after you’ve already put the cross arm on top?? Also, I finally managed to catch someone making their way up to the top. I think he was taking a breather.

View attachment 18433View attachment 18434
ha, good catch!
It's some crane.
I would imagine they couldn't add the extra sections till they could brace it off the core.

Each one of these "towers" going up outside the core are setting a new baseline that should help a lot with getting people used to seeing height/density outsite the core and in their neighborhood. Before this went up it was a pretty big change to see something like this pop up. Once its up when others are proposed itll be like oh yea like union sq, or assembly, or fenway...thats not so bad. Then on top of that its going to be much easier to add density around these once theres already a 30 story tower there. Each one gains momentum for the next one.

I count 17 of 25 floors there, so this will get about half-again as tall. I assume it will reach up to just below the tower crane boom.

Based on an earlier photo, I think the crane brace hits on floor 16, so that would give us 22 out of 25 floors.

Back