Union Square Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Demo in progress at 71Union Sq, Beer and Wine. Soon to be a dispensary storefront with 2 levels above. Apparently they drove that excavator through the front door? Also, the diesel exhaust emanating from there was intense. Can’t imagine what it’s like inside.

View attachment 21177

View attachment 21178
I noticed they completely removed the micro museum. It hasn't been maintained in a long while, and I have no idea what they did with it.
micro.jpg

Looks like sliding doors going in on the backside of the Somerville Ave apartments - impressive.

But can some pls speculate on what in the world is that ungainly wall thing going up on the roof at the front of the building?? Pretty sure that wasn’t in the design submittal.

78C3C8F9-A167-4F35-AFC5-366FDD5A430B.jpeg
82050F84-3691-4787-9C65-9F5BD6C343B2.jpeg
78F26841-A521-4E52-BDCA-507D2B8FC0B7.jpeg

Update - I contacted Judith Klausner, the curator of the micro museum. She says

Yes! We removed it because the building on one side is undergoing major construction. They know that we hope to return it when the construction is finished and relaunch, so right now its a waiting game to see if that will be possible.

Union Square streetscape redesign updates, from Councilor JT:

“I know we’re all exhausted by the years of utility and streetscape work in Union Square, but the administration is considering even more work, including to Bow Street, the Plaza, and Somerville Ave (again) between Webster and Prospect. Options presented included removing the parking lot in front of the Indo, turning Somerville Ave into “busway-only” (shown below), and fully pedestrianizing Bow St, closing it to vehicle traffic. You can sign up for updates at https://voice.somervillema.gov/union-square-p-and-s, and should be able to watch the recording (and take a poll!) there soon.”

CBDDAAE0-EBA4-4D8B-B938-B6FBE9F79DD0.jpeg

Union Square streetscape redesign updates, from Councilor JT:

“I know we’re all exhausted by the years of utility and streetscape work in Union Square, but the administration is considering even more work, including to Bow Street, the Plaza, and Somerville Ave (again) between Webster and Prospect. Options presented included removing the parking lot in front of the Indo, turning Somerville Ave into “busway-only” (shown below), and fully pedestrianizing Bow St, closing it to vehicle traffic. You can sign up for updates at https://voice.somervillema.gov/union-square-p-and-s, and should be able to watch the recording (and take a poll!) there soon.”

View attachment 22620

Nice. Just do it and do it now. Union is going to be so different than it used to be... pretty wild

Nice. Just do it and do it now. Union is going to be so different than it used to be... pretty wild

Totally agreed!

One observation, however, is that to say ‘that Union will be so different than it used to be,’ is a matter of when. For example, in the early 20th century, this was Union Square - see pics from today and from 100 years ago. It’s more like we’re seeing the Sq rebuilt to its original state - with taller, denser buildings.

What’s now the Rockland Trust building used to be twice as tall, until they literally chopped off the top levels. I’d say that we require the next developer in the Sq to rebuild those upper two levels to their original greatness as part of the community agreements.

1D51AE02-D239-4D6A-B664-A4A113E4E92F.jpeg
951F944B-31F8-4701-B0B1-6FADF05EEC6F.jpeg
CB22CB57-3C01-4560-B247-2797E8D584F0.jpeg
E35727B8-A3DE-4CE0-A505-683F4842BC0D.jpeg

Last edited:
yikes! i've often wondered -- having lived in both cambridge and somerville -- why "da ville" is so lacking in exactly these types of buildings, while cambridge is (relatively speaking) lousy with them.

i guess it's not just the west end in boston that got unceremoniously levelled. i'll dig around later, but since you (dr. rosen rosen) posted the pix and seem to be at least aware of what *was* in union square, do you have any notion as to why seemingly upwards of 85% of a once-impressive and lovely urban center was destroyed so?

yikes! i've often wondered -- having lived in both cambridge and somerville -- why "da ville" is so lacking in exactly these types of buildings, while cambridge is (relatively speaking) lousy with them.

i guess it's not just the west end in boston that got unceremoniously levelled. i'll dig around later, but since you (dr. rosen rosen) posted the pix and seem to be at least aware of what *was* in union square, do you have any notion as to why seemingly upwards of 85% of a once-impressive and lovely urban center was destroyed so?

I haven’t done research beyond a couple quick google searches. But I have read that the buildings were too expensive to maintain, so they just took them down. Anything beyond that I’d squarely blame on the automobile. :)

I’m liking the decent little cantilever over what will be the sidewalk - Hawkins/Lake St Apts.

C567DED1-10F6-460A-A4FE-901BE1118D3B.jpeg

Interesting collision of roofs - Bow St ‘Passive House’ condos. I think those vertical steel beams are part of its green roof structure.

C1DEA311-96BD-43F5-9AC0-ECCB60CF47C9.jpeg

Apparently this is another one of those piece-by-piece demo jobs. Looks the the roof is opened up. Formerly Union Wine and Beer…soon to be 3 story with dispensary storefront.

E107F1CE-8030-4E37-ACA9-5CA89F06F17D.jpeg

OMG - after months of nothing…something’s happening here!! Foundation in the works. Formerly Radio and then ThunderRoad. Coming soon: 5-story 10-unit and retail front. They’re going for Net Zero energy rating too.

0660CDE4-2BE5-45DB-8C65-B0577317C7C6.jpeg
1CB66BCF-3583-4012-8837-68098917A503.jpeg

662D44EC-0682-4EDB-9B9B-D0B0B99ECDCD.jpeg

One of those ‘blue-sky’ kind of projects?! Any closer of paint match to the sky and this bldg would just blend into the background. ;) (it will be getting a brick veneer)

C33357B5-7092-4DCC-AD8E-B82D82430511.jpeg

Last edited:

Back