Union Square Somerville Infill and Small Developments

I wouldnt
I believe this will be a public pass-through to the park on Lake St. Not sure if the house on the left will be giving up its side for the path.

View attachment 28154View attachment 28156

Garage floor poured.
View attachment 28157

A much needed facelift in progress. Remember that oppressive metal grate that covered the upper half years ago?
View attachment 28158

Thunder road condos picking up steam again.
View attachment 28159

I'd call it an architectural screen, but I may be indoctrinated. My question is why you'd have to filter the light coming in on the north side of the building. This was (or maybe still is) the offices of architect Brian Healy. I'm not sure if he's still in business, but he's done some interesting work, including an addition at the Korean Church of Boston in Brookline.

I actually liked the scrim type metal covering. Painted brick seems so cheap in comparison.

Doesn't ZIP System sheathing have an insulation layer? The sheathing covers the plate and eliminates any thermal bridging, no?

Looking at those pictures on my phone, I assumed there was no insulation on there (not all ZIP sheathing systems come with insulation) - but looking again on my desktop, it appears they are using R Sheathing. Even then though, they're maybe getting R6 for a good chunk of the wall. Still better than nothing...

Progress around the square is picking up.

47B16EF0-D440-4212-8D13-93C124B04258.jpeg
323AD6A5-B299-4C24-A321-6946E00049B3.jpeg
7A9DEBDA-4788-4A9B-9556-46700F518009.jpeg
B0D6564A-E89B-4277-ABC7-F85FB2D17833.jpeg
541BB41F-1551-44AC-B530-BBC0FC882993.jpeg
30327CE2-ACF9-426E-BD5A-0B7E106B1C29.jpeg
9BBCEC5E-FE6D-4FAA-96E9-0419BED6D84C.jpeg
41B73DC3-A866-401C-A7AC-56F80C0D6E96.jpeg

That won’t happen without a large subsidy from the Commonwealth, akin to the one they offer to the gas companies to replace their leaking mains.

That won’t happen without a large subsidy from the Commonwealth, akin to the one they offer to the gas companies to replace their leaking mains.
Can't the cities themselves do it without the state's money? With all the life sciences/tech companies moving into Cambridge and Somerville, certainly the huge amounts of extra tax and revenue they're bringing in over the empty lots, run-down strip malls they're replacing can go into their infrastructure, especially since so many areas are ripping up and redoing the roads anyway. These photos remind me of when I lived and traveled throughout Asia, with cities in China, the Philippines, Thailand etc all having massive (and dangerous) amounts of wires strewn above, sizzling and buzzing away. It was quite unsettling to walk under!

No. The poles belong to various utilities. They have no incentive to replace them with underground infrastructure that will cost a fortune.

Can't the cities themselves do it without the state's money? With all the life sciences/tech companies moving into Cambridge and Somerville, certainly the huge amounts of extra tax and revenue they're bringing in over the empty lots, run-down strip malls they're replacing can go into their infrastructure, especially since so many areas are ripping up and redoing the roads anyway. These photos remind me of when I lived and traveled throughout Asia, with cities in China, the Philippines, Thailand etc all having massive (and dangerous) amounts of wires strewn above, sizzling and buzzing away. It was quite unsettling to walk under!
You'd think while Eversource were replacing their gas pipes all over the city, it would be a good time to bury their electric wires.
You'd think the city would chip in when the job was being finished and rather than have only one side of each road milled and resurfaced, just do the whole bloody road.
Now, around east somerville anyway there are lots of roads with one good side and one crap side because there is an astonishing lack of joined up thinking.

Back