Union Square Somerville Infill and Small Developments

I would rather have a variety of developers come in and compete with each other than have Curtatone impose one vision on all the Union Square property.

Regarding Harold Brown, I guess I have to say something since he is probably the biggest real estate force in Allston and now it seems he's jumped to Somerville.

I don't really know what his intentions are in Union Square. I only met the guy once, and it was at a public meeting regarding a building he wanted to put up near me, on an existing parking lot.

I haven't seen any overtly terrible moves from his company in the years I've been paying attention. His proposal for that Allston building was decent, if a bit over-parked. His company is putting up a nice building in the Fenway, the kind of thing that would fit in well in Union Square, plus retail. He gets good reviews compared to other landlords, but that includes Alpha, so pretty low bar to clear.

I'm sure some of the old-timers here know more about his infamous "storied past" than I do. With regard to Union Square, I have cautious optimism, all around.

Prospect Hill NIMBYs will definitely be an issue for redev projects on side of Washington Street.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/03/04/mcmorrow/HzAPfrtdTAsL9BrxINAcsL/story.html

Gentrification vs. growth in Union Square
By Paul McMorrow
| Globe Columnist

March 04, 2014

Somerville’s Union Square won’t be the same once the Green Line Extension opens in three years, and that’s the idea. The trains are supposed to bring sweeping changes to Union Square. But battle lines are forming over what kind of changes are coming, and the outcome will determine whether the Green Line serves as a tool for growth, or just for runaway gentrification.

If the maneuvering over the redevelopment of a shuttered Union Square social center is any indication, the battle between growth and gentrification is shaping up to be far more closely fought than it ought to be.

The old Boys and Girls Club building on Washington Street sits on the edge of Union Square, close to a rusting highway overpass. The new Green Line route will bring this part of Somerville within a few minutes from downtown Boston, and turn the neighborhood into one of the region’s hottest development draws. The nonprofit Somerville Community Corporation has been working for more than two years to turn the old Boys and Girls Club building into an early bulwark against the waves of market pressure that the Green Line will bring.

The group partnered with a private Boston developer, and together they proposed replacing the Boys and Girls Club and a funeral parlor with a two-building, 84-unit apartment development. The project would contain a high number of affordable housing units, and would be among the first to take advantage of new Green Line zoning.

Neighbors balked at the proposal. They complained about the same things that virtually anyone who lives next to new construction around Boston complains about — building height, traffic, noise, and parking. The developers cut the size of its proposed development down to 74 units, which was good enough to win over Somerville’s Planning Board. The development’s neighbors weren’t so easily appeased. A few sued.

Trips to the Land Court are brutal diversions for developers. The community developer couldn’t wait its lawsuit out, so it designed a smaller project in the hopes of winning over critics. Somerville’s Planning Board will soon vote on a smaller, 65-unit housing development for Washington Street. The proposed building won’t lose any of the 35 affordable units it’s permitted for now, but chopping a floor off its permitted height will force the community developer to shed some of the family-sized apartments it had planned to build.

Somerville has big plans for the real estate surrounding the future Green Line tracks. It upzoned Union Square, and is now weighing bids from developers looking to build millions of square feet of offices, housing, and retail in the square. The city pushed hard to level the aging McGrath-O’Brien Highway overpass at Washington Street, and beyond the overpass, massive redevelopments of the city’s Brickbottom and Inner Belt sections are taking shape.

But Somerville’s Green Line bet only works if developers can take advantage of the opportunities the streetcars present. The Somerville Community Corporation’s Washington Street development will be one of the first built under the city’s new Green Line zoning. Its experience shows the same old housing fights persisting, even after years of community dialogue around Union Square’s future. The 65-unit compromise the neighborhood developer is now seeking will be well below zoning allowances.

Somerville can’t afford to make a habit of permitting transit-oriented developments that fall short of zoning. A new report by the Metropolitan Area Planning Council warns that the Green Line extension brings the risks of significant rent spikes and waves of condominium conversions. To blunt those waves and maintain current levels of affordability, the report says, Somerville needs developers to produce as many as 9,000 new housing units by the year 2030.

The city watched skyrocketing prices and wholesale resident turnover follow the Red Line to Davis Square in the 1980s. Neighborhoods like Union Square and the Inner Belt enjoy one advantage over Davis Square: They have enough land to produce the new housing that’s needed to blunt the market pressures the Green Line will bring.

Still, it’s one thing to have the elbow room to get aggressive on new housing construction, and another thing to actually do it. Somerville’s residents and planners have already put in years laying the zoning groundwork that will allow the city to use the Green Line to make big, exciting things happen, while cushioning gentrification pressures. Now it’s up to neighborhood residents to let developers follow through.

New construction down Prospect Street;

l4RYmeV.jpg

KSsXODh.jpg

sjr1sr7.jpg

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...where-wants/4kDGhSnWfyIJ96QBOwasYK/story.html

Different visions for Union Square
By Paul McMorrow and Jon Garelick
| Globe Columnist April 08, 2014

Nine development teams are beating down the doors of Somerville City Hall, all looking to secure the largest redevelopment effort Somerville has seen in a generation. These teams include some of the biggest names in Boston development, and for the most part, they’re singing different versions of the same song.

They’re vying to remake the city’s Union Square, and are all singing the gospel of mass transit, walkable streets, green roofs, bike paths, and independent businesses. This is by design.

City and neighborhood residents are dictating development terms to builders, instead of waiting to react to an outside developer’s vision. Somerville is still months away from naming a winner in the Union Square contest, but it’s already shown what can happen when a community gets serious about growing, and sets a vision for where it wants to go. It’s a model more communities should emulate.

Union Square sits at the heart of Somerville. It’s minutes from Harvard Square, Kendall Square, and downtown Boston. It’s the kind of place that should be booming with new development, but it hasn’t been able to grow, because it’s hemmed in geographically and choked with traffic.

Green Line trolleys, which begin running between the square and Boston in 2017, will transform the neighborhood. City planners conducted a years-long community planning effort, and up-zoned the square to accommodate dense new development.

Much of the new development will occur in a newly created urban renewal district. Some of the properties in the district are single-story retail buildings sitting in the middle of what will become a dense new neighborhood square; others are obsolete industrial properties along the Green Line tracks. They all have higher uses ahead of them.

The city has pre-zoned the district for 2.3 million square feet of new development. It put out a call for a developer to oversee this new development district in December. City officials and citizens are now vetting nine development teams. They’ll name one winner later this year.

It’s notable that the plans for Union Square didn’t start with a target for new development. Instead, they started with a set of values.

The Somerville residents who up-zoned Union Square began by agreeing that they value economic and cultural diversity, the square’s eclectic vibe, and its local-first slant. Union Square is young, it’s fun, and it’s full of fantastic local businesses. It’s rich in arts and bicycle culture. It’s a landing spot for independent coffee bars and doughnut makers. It boasts a rock-climbing gym that doubles as a coworking space, and a brewery that will house a startup accelerator. The planning around Union Square’s future flowed from wanting to amplify the things that make the neighborhood great already. That dictates the agenda for whichever developer leads the neighborhood urban renewal effort.

Developers chasing Union Square’s rebuilding are toeing the line Somerville has established. Trinity Financial and the Davis Companies are praising transit geekery and sketching up incubator space and rooftop gardens. The HYM Investment Group, redevelopers of the Government Center Garage, are talking about elevating trains over cars. Redgate is keying on small retailers and the urbanization of the region’s workers. Chicago’s Magellan Development Group is vowing to put people before buildings. The pitch from National Development and Federal Realty Investment Trust opened with a quote from Jane Jacobs.

These developers, and a host of others, haven’t had any trouble buying into the community vision Somerville established. Somerville has already proved that other communities shouldn’t be shy about taking charge of their own growth. If the opportunities are real, the developers will come, even when they’re not leading the dance.

Union Square isn’t broke, so don’t fix it

By Jon Garelick

As a relatively new Somerville homeowner who lives just outside Union Square, I’ve been following the reports about presentations by developers for the “new” Union Square, in anticipation of the Green Line station scheduled to open in 2017.

All these developers have a good line — about “listening to the community” and “preservation” of the Square. Everyone sounds well intentioned, everyone seems sincere.

And yet, I’m dreading what Union Square might become. Because, really, what’s wrong with it? Yes, the traffic patterns are crazy, there are some nasty looking storefronts, and there are some “ugly” buildings.

But, you know what? It works. The traffic moves. The square is a model of “mixed use” development: apartment buildings atop storefront banks, plumbing supply companies, Brazilian bodegas, and hip boîtes. One recent night, some friends and I couldn’t get into the highly touted Bronwyn — an upscale German sausage restaurant. We ended up down the block at El Potro, eating toothsome $13.95 Mexican dinners and listening to a live mariachi band.

In Union Square funky stores and restaurants live side-by-side with old-town fare. Yes, I want Bronwyn, but I don’t want to lose El Potro. On March 15, my wife and I checked out the “Ides of March Festival” in the square, including mock comic re-enactments of Julius Caesar’s death as well as audience-participation gladiatorial combat in an air-mattress arena. On tiny Bow Street, there’s a beautiful little performance and gallery space called the Green Room. Thanks to the Somerville Arts Council, the Square offers seating on artist-created public benches. And, high-end or low, the vast majority of the businesses are local.

I look at Union Square, and I fear the kind of gentrification, urban renewal, and cookie-cutter architecture that everyone complains about but that somehow keeps happening. Somerville requires affordable housing as part of all new development, and the city has a good record for enforcing the ordinance. But the same developers who talk about fidelity to the letter and spirit of Somerville’s guidelines also talk about building a hotel.

A hotel? In Union Square?

I’m not saying there isn’t some room for improvement. The area along the commuter rail on the square’s south side is a jumble of scrap metal yards, salvage companies, and junk. I wouldn’t mind seeing some green space in place of a scrap heap. But I’d also miss A-1 Plumbing Supply, with its collection of vintage used radiators, which has been a fixture of the Prospect Street bridge for nearly 40 years. And although I won’t miss the dumpster parking lot, I’ll be sorry to lose the big yellow painted lettering on the brick wall behind it: “Home of Schertzer Lo-Bed Trailers.” On the other hand, crossing Somerville Avenue at the intersection with Prospect Street is a frustrating, and scary, adventure for any pedestrian.

No, Union Square isn’t perfect, but I love its spontaneous diversity, evident in the signage from Somerville Avenue through to the open lot of Ricky’s Flowers: Aldrine’s Beauty Salon, Dosa ’n Curry (“First 100% vegetarian Indian Restaurant in Boston — We deliver”), and A4 Pizza; Machu Picchu’s “Fine Peruvian Cuisine”; Psychic Palm and Tarot by Nina (“Walk-ins welcome”); and Reliable Market, with its Korean and Japanese specialties.

With the new Green Line extension, opportunities abound. But I implore the City of Somerville and my fellow Somervillians to proceed with restraint. First, do no harm. Yes, I know, Union Square is a mess. Please don’t fix it.

As for a hotel, the Holiday Inn is right down Washington Street, past the Tavern at the End of the World.

Paul McMorrow is an associate editor at Commonwealth Magazine. Follow him on Twitter @paul_mcmorrow. Jon Garelick is a freelance writer who lives in Somerville. He can be reached at jon.garelick4@gmail.com. Follow him on Twitter @jgarelick.

Everything about Mr. Garelick's piece is a mess (except for his concern about cookie-cutter architecture. There I agree).

Please comment on that article if you have an account. He says "A hotel?" like it is a sound argument. Also, what sane person laments the loss of a rusty radiator dump?

Also, what sane person laments the loss of a rusty radiator dump?

I like the radiator "dump". It was the first thing I noticed when I was first checking out the area to see the apartment I was going to move to. It gives off a lot more visual interest for the pedestrian than the glass condo boxes I've seen rendered into that space in the city's redevelopment proposal. I would certainly miss it if gone.

He's wrong about the hotel being past the Tavern at the End of the world though, it comes a bit before.

Historically, there was a hotel on Bow Street, according to old-timers here.

Everything about Mr. Garelick's piece is a mess (except for his concern about cookie-cutter architecture. There I agree).

Please comment on that article if you have an account. He says "A hotel?" like it is a sound argument. Also, what sane person laments the loss of a rusty radiator dump?

He's got a little bit of a point, in the sense that Somerville is basically jumping all over Union Square and saying "This sucks! Let's build all sorts of fancy urbanist stuff to make it better!" rather than beginning from what the square already does well.

Really, the first priority should be fixing the are along the tracks (and next to the station). The danger of that approach, however, is that if development and focus moves away from the historic square, Mr. Garelick's beloved mess could become stagnant and neglected. Most people wouldn't like that as much as he would.

Does anyone else find it curious that Union Square has become as successful as it is?

Despite being nowhere near the T (has anyone here tried walking from Union to Lechmere or Sullivan?)...
Despite the parking lots, autobody shops, Goodyear tires and all this stuff we deride as "Autocentric" ...
Despite the urban scar of McGrath and the Target and Drive-Thru Burger King by the ramps...
Despite the light industrial around the tracks...

And yet, it's clearly thriving. What gives? (And why not neighborhoods with comparable disadvantages like Dudley or Chelsea?)

PS: Allow me to also throw my lot in with the pro-radiator faction

Union really hasn't been successful as is. It's been successful because everyone and their uncle knows that the Green Line is coming.

Does anyone else find it curious that Union Square has become as successful as it is?

Despite being nowhere near the T (has anyone here tried walking from Union to Lechmere or Sullivan?)...
Despite the parking lots, autobody shops, Goodyear tires and all this stuff we deride as "Autocentric" ...
Despite the urban scar of McGrath and the Target and Drive-Thru Burger King by the ramps...

And yet, it's clearly thriving. What gives? (And why not neighborhoods with comparable disadvantages like Dudley or Chelsea?)

I don't know who would walk to Lechmere or Sullivan (doable, but not very nice walks.) The walk to Central is nicer (but about 20-25min). Union does have loads of bus routes to take you pretty much any nearby T stop in <10min. Union is also slightly cheaper than Cambridge, Davis and Porter, but still walkable to Cambridge spots (Inman, Harvard, Central), though it won't be cheaper for long. I'm apprehensively waiting to find out my rent hike for next year...

I like the radiator yard too, but not enough to bitch when it's gone.

Union may not be close to transit, but it has a massive advantage over Dudley and Chelsea: It's on the border with Cambridge and a mile from Harvard Square. That means that it's the cheaper alternative for grad students and young professionals commuting by foot or by bike. The transit actually won't do anything to help the people already living there, since I doubt you'll live in Union now if you're working in Downtown. Lechmere, perhaps.

Yet another small issue with the Green Line. It creates a new commute pattern (and thus a new population) rather than improving an existing one. The Cambridge commuters will need to wait for the Urban Ring, I guess... :)

Reverse commuters (yes, that means car commuters) love Union, Davis, and the rest of Somerville. As often as we poo-poo the 128 (and beyond) office parks, there are as many high paying jobs outside of Boston as inside. Especially high-tech/engineering jobs. Not all of the people in those jobs are happy to live in Reading or Chelmsford or any other 'burb and Somerville has great highway access, a lively entertainment scene in its own right, and decent access to downtown.

Really, the first priority should be fixing the are along the tracks (and next to the station). The danger of that approach, however, is that if development and focus moves away from the historic square, Mr. Garelick's beloved mess could become stagnant and neglected. Most people wouldn't like that as much as he would.

I doubt that will happen, the area is already too vibrant, and the new T stop will only help.

This scenario would appease everybody (to the extent such is possible), seeing that redevelopment would focus on areas people currently don't use and the historic sections of the square would be left mostly as is (which is mostly fine at the moment, though could use improvement in a few areas). It would be an interesting experiment in contrasts if things went down this way - old historic square vs new Kendall style redevelopment.

As for the Green Line I think people over-estimate it's impact on the square's vitality. The current population making it work (grad students and people whose lives are based mostly around the red line squares) are not going to benefit that much from it, other than making it easier for them to get to downtown and Back Bay. This creates the "problem" of appealing to people whose lives do revolve around those areas now seeing Union Square as a viable option to live, creating an influx of new demand driving up prices. I can see why the current population is nervous. The benefit of easier access to Boston won't outweigh losing the primary reason they live in Somerville rather than Cambridge - more affordable rent.

I think it's a mistake to assume that most people in Union are living Red Line square-centric lives. There are tons of people who take the busses to Lechmere and Sullivan every morning, alongside those going to Harvard, Central Kendall or beyond. Union already has a pretty diverse population in the commuting sense.

Density and diversity. Good mix of yuppies, immigrants, families in large close proximity. need for food and serves that cater to all in large numbers.

Back