Union Square Somerville Infill and Small Developments

The new plan clearly shows that the City intends to build something on top of the electrical substation's parcel (I'm assuming the substation will remain in the basement)

Plan is here http://www.somervillebydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/FINAL-PRESENTATION-CIRCULATION.pdf

With pages 8, 9, 10 being the clearest in showing that a building will go on top.

Holy green space, Batman!

I thought they wanted to avoid the Kendall-ization of Somerville. Someone should tell them the best way to do that is to create a streetwall and consolidate all those mini lawns into a functional park.

Keep somerville affordable by requiring developers to include percentages of units income restricted while simultaneously charging insane Boston rent to everyone else.

How are all those hipsters with skinny jeans, flannel, and scruff going to afford it?

A lot of Somerville is hardly affordable already.

Oh, wtf Somerville. More transit-oriented grassland?

I guess that'll be good for cows: they can ride the Green Line to go out to pasture.

Haha: the rationale for the "Green Gateway" park surrounding the new station at Union Square: "Buffers residential community from busy station."

Yyeah. I wish that instead of the Green Line right outside my door I could instead have to trudge through dodgy parkland to get the train. Doesn't that sound even more safe and convenient?

Haha: the rationale for the "Green Gateway" park surrounding the new station at Union Square: "Buffers residential community from busy station."

Yyeah. I wish that instead of the Green Line right outside my door I could instead have to trudge through dodgy parkland to get the train. Doesn't that sound even more safe and convenient?

It isn't a park today. I wish the state could say "no, we won't extend our transit to your park" in situations like this.

Wait, is this some official plan? I thought it was some MIT thought experiment...

Ugh. This greenspace (pejorative variety) bleh doesn't bode well for what they ultimately plan to do to McGrath after the overpass comes down. Plantings does not a tightly-knit square make.

please tell me this is a thought experiment rather than the final plan...it sucks. It's a horse by committee.

Seems to be more than a thought experiment, but less than official plans.

Somerville aldermen wary of eminent domain in Union Square, express concern over lack of authority in the process: http://www.wickedlocal.com/somervil...en-wary-of-eminent-domain-use-in-Union-Square

Additionally, I see the final designs for the removal & redevelopment of the boys & girls club + the historic Cota-Struzziero Funeral Home (at 181/197 Washington St) were released not too long ago: http://somervillecdc.org/unionsquar...-renderings-for-181-and-197-washington-street

See http://somerville.patch.com/groups/...washington-street-development-at-a-crossroads for context on that

I know the Boys & Girls Club/funeral home project has been controversial, but I have not yet heard the elevator pitch that convinces local density advocates to oppose it. It is a mediocre project that replaces less-than-mediocre existing structures. The "historic" funeral home does not make sense in this location. If a developer can do better with that space than the current structures, more power. This project may not be a ideal, but I need to hear someone make a good case for what we're holding out for.

This looks pretty good I will say though I think they should go 10+ floors on at least one of the new buildings.. anyways this should be great once its finished, but living there durring the next few years (decade) is going to be tough while they work on McGrath and extending the green line through.

Union Square is so big these days. I guess there no name for the Somerville Ave corridor east of Conway Park so it's called "Union"

Tina Nguyen has been running Angel Nails for the past few months and also wants to stay in the building. She had a similar story – after getting a letter, she called Union 2 Associates but has yet to hear back.
“I haven’t heard from the owner at all,” Nguyen said. “I’m kind of upset.” She added later, “I want the business to stay. I don’t know what they’re doing here.”

Not exactly putting best foot forward about communicating their ultimate intentions for the neighborhood.

I don't care what he claims, this smells like a flip job. Not that I mind that, it is a valid business move.

Why would any developer want to sink multiple millions into properties with existing (though thin) development plans. You want to tell Curtatone that you know better than him what to do with Union Square property? Be my guest, but be prepared for a (shit-)showdown. I'll bet anything this guy liquidates without ousting a single tenant let alone laying a single brick.

Back