Union Square Somerville Infill and Small Developments

I have it on some authority that 109 Prospect is a s_show. They made the turning radius into the lower-level garage too tight and no one can park there. Also, from reviewing the Zillow listings the asking price for really tiny units was kind of absurd.

It absolutely is. I remember when it first went on the market, I watched a person in a Tesla try and take the turn for a good 5 minutes, give up and then just block the driveway.

They've since gone in and tried to expand the garage door... it was a hackjob and it looks like it.

It absolutely is. I remember when it first went on the market, I watched a person in a Tesla try and take the turn for a good 5 minutes, give up and then just block the driveway.

They've since gone in and tried to expand the garage door... it was a hackjob and it looks like it.
I think since 109 prospect is over the tracks it's not at all Union Sq but Inman Sq. Though technically since it's Somerville it could be "Portuguese Plaza".

I think since 109 prospect is over the tracks it's not at all Union Sq but Inman Sq. Though technically since it's Somerville it could be "Portuguese Plaza".
Having lived on that stretch of Prospect, I’d argue that everything between Houghton and Concord basically are in an overlap area belonging to both squares.

15 units at 59 Bow Street: https://s3.amazonaws.com/somervillema.gov.if-us-east-1/s3fs-public/2023-01/Bow St 59 - Plans.pdf

1673640012560.png

Has anyone added up the number of new units or net new units coming online in the next couple of years here? It feels like it could almost be a thousand new units in Union Square.

I would despise living in one of those mini-units, and it would have been better to do a double-lot with a collection of 800-1000SF units, but I suppose having each parcel with an individual architect might mix up the neighborhood design a bit. Hope they keep the brick.

Not every new building needs to cater to everyone's housing needs. These are perfect for people who in their early 20's who care about location first and foremost, and view their apartments as little more than places to sleep and store their stuff. I'd love to see a lot more of these.

Here i was hoping that it would be micro units on the affordable end of the market instead of the middle to "luxury" end. Was hoping for more like 20 to 25.

I've seen that in renos of wood-frame houses when they want to remove supporting walls in order to achieve a more open floorplan. I'd guess that's what's going on here, but that's just a guess. If it is, then I don't expect it'll wind up being that the first floor is wood framing and the upper floors are all steel.

Back