Union Square Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Cool cut-through passageway into Bow Market with new storefronts along Somerville Ave.

IMG_6485.jpeg
IMG_6488.jpeg
IMG_6486.jpeg
IMG_6487.jpeg
IMG_6489.jpeg

Bow Market is amazing. It's one of the most unique spaces in Boston right now and we're lucky to have it. I'm sort of mystified that, not only has it not attracted more national attention compared to similar projects like The Piazza in Northern Liberties, but I feel like the majority of Bostonians still don't even know what it is.

that whole complex is literally the best thing to have happened to activity in Union Square in the past 10 years. The GLX would be - but - it's been closed about as long as its been open.

Bow has singlehandedly changed both the vibes and the gravity of the square. Before it opened, there really wasn't much reason to go to the Somerville Ave part of the square. Heck, I've heard from some friends that work at the businesses, that the new crowds have caused the P.A. Lounge/Union Tavern ownership to turn over a new leaf, to the point that folks are organizing sapphic, bi and kink nights there.

Bow has singlehandedly changed both the vibes and the gravity of the square. Before it opened, there really wasn't much reason to go to the Somerville Ave part of the square. Heck, I've heard from some friends that work at the businesses, that the new crowds have caused the P.A. Lounge/Union Tavern ownership to turn over a new leaf, to the point that folks are organizing sapphic, bi and kink nights there.
Yeah Union Tavern is where a queer night called Boudoir is often located. Its a much needed space/event.

These will free up some of the multi bedroom units elsewhere when singles can find a semi affordable place for just themselves.

63 Bow street, last sold in 2017 for just over 1M and used as a rental property. I like your little turret, but amazed its not sold already for a healthy profit combined here.

TINY units. Makes me wonder what the smallest apartment a couple is typically willing to rent together is.
View attachment 43860
Iono why you're calling these tiny. These are fairly standard size new studios and 1 beds around here.

rich folks.
Yeah that Union 346 place is clearing the market with 3k per month per unit on 12 to 15 month leases. Though it looks like the current initial offer is 500 off first months rent.

63 Bow street, last sold in 2017 for just over 1M and used as a rental property. I like your little turret, but amazed its not sold already for a healthy profit combined here.

TINY units. Makes me wonder what the smallest apartment a couple is typically willing to rent together is.
View attachment 43860

Tiny, perhaps, from the piggish American perspective. But, seriously, consider what legit 500 sf delivers to two occupants, if you want to carve it into TWO bedrooms for privacy:

--a master bedroom that's 125 sf
--a secondary bedroom that's 100 sf
--a 100 sf living room
--a 100 sf kitchenette
--a 75 sf bathroom

Only a culture as gluttonous as ours would dismiss that as "tiny"...

The unit size is fine. However, and pardon me if I’m missing something obvious, where, exactly, is the actual bedroom and bed in the purportedly 1br unit 1?
IMG_0216.jpeg

The unit size is fine. However, and pardon me if I’m missing something obvious, where, exactly, is the actual bedroom and bed in the purportedly 1br unit 1

Hell, Unit 2 is labeled as One Bedroom too. Those should def be called Studios.

Tiny, perhaps, from the piggish American perspective. But, seriously, consider what legit 500 sf delivers to two occupants, if you want to carve it into TWO bedrooms for privacy:

--a master bedroom that's 125 sf
--a secondary bedroom that's 100 sf
--a 100 sf living room
--a 100 sf kitchenette
--a 75 sf bathroom

Only a culture as gluttonous as ours would dismiss that as "tiny"...
:rolleyes: If that's what we're choosing to be offended about today... yes a 399 SF existence is a little limiting to all, even Hong Kong (484SF avg).
1698700672794.png

1698700624863.png

:rolleyes:If that's what we're choosing to be offended about today... yes a 399 SF existence is a little limiting to all, even Hong Kong (484SF avg).
View attachment 43974
View attachment 43973

I'd argue that chart pretty much proves my point--the US, Canada, and Australia, as continent-sized countries, have gotten away with piggish housing sizes as a result of their sprawling low-density settlement patterns. Surely Russia and China would've done the same, if they weren't so poor and war-torn for much the 19th and 20th centuries.

Last edited:
Sorry to be that guy, but the Japan numbers in shrinkthatfootprint are misleading in context of our discussion here. The average house size in Tokyo is 91 sq meters (980 sq feet), but detached houses made up only 28% of occupied housing in 2020. The average apartment size, where 69% of the population lives, is 41 sq meters (441 sq feet) of livable space.

More than half the Japanese population individually lives in under 500 sq feet of housing space. It's pretty common for someone making the JPY equivalent of $80-$100K a year to live in a 1LDK under 50 sq meters in size.

Back