Upcoming Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

quadratdackel

Reaction score
Let this thread be for any upcoming events of interest.

...When I'm not modeling electromagnetics at Northeastern or over-analyzing demographics here, I'm helping organize an ongoing event called Nerd Nite. This is basically a typical night out at the neighborhood bar (Midway Cafe in JP, Orange Line to Green Street; not sure what the under 21 situation is) except with PowerPoint presentations of peoples' research or other nerdy interests. Or you could think of it as a research seminar with beer. The crowd is awesome- heckling (in good humor), cheering wildly when equations are shown, etc.

Anyways, the next one is going to be on July 1. I'm going to be delivering a scorcher of a presentation called Explorations in the use of graph theory for the optimization of transit systems. Yinz should come check it out. Here's a preview:

tabu10_100d1w1.jpg

We might be looking for an additional presentation- anyone interested? It could be as simple as a photograph slide show, but the more arcane and esoteric, the better. Since I'm talking about transit, it'd be nice to have someone else talking about transit, architecture, etc. I hear some of the people on this forum are interested in these topics.

...fyi there's also Nerd Nite NYC for those currently located over there.

Emerald Court Public Meeting
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm

Division-Department: ECON. DEV. - BRA
Description: The Proponent filed a Project Notification Form proposing demolition of the existing structures on the block located at West 1st Street and West 2nd Street between C and D Street and to construct 242 residential units, 3,287 s.f. of retail space and parking for up to 435 vehicles
Neighborhood: South Boston
Email: Mark.McGowan.BRA@cityofboston.gov

Congress Street Hotel Public Meeting
Thursday, September 07, 2006
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm

Division-Department: ECON. DEV. -
Description: The Proponent plans to construct a 24-story, 502-room hotel with ground-floor retail on Congress Street, between B Street and East Service Road in the South Boston Waterfront.
Neighborhood: South Boston
Email: Mark.McGowan.BRA@cityofboston.gov

I think I might make it out to this:
Livable Streets street social
Eat, drink, learn, play, support

REMINDER: FRIDAY!
September 29 @ 5:30?8:30 pm
Office/Exhibit space + Patio
70 Pacific Street @ Sydney, Cambridge
$15 suggested donation

Come join us [outside!] for some great food [vegetarian], music, raffle, and an exciting presentation on how urban transportation effects our everyday lives. Mingle with us and others like you who are committed to improving urban transportation.

Friday we will be showing a 10-minute clip about how Portland faught the major highway that would have run through their city in the 70's, and the positive consequences that resulted from this decision.

View our summer series of 10-minute "Word on the Streets" videos about Boston, produced by our summer intern Elisa.

Video 1: http://tinyurl.com/msz52
Video 2: http://tinyurl.com/qrs3n
Video 3: Premered August... online soon.

www.livablestreets.info

Jim Aloisi and Ari Ofsevit of TransitMatters discuss the state of transportation in Massachusetts.

Join TransitMatters at the Boston University Kilachand Honors College for a discussion with Jim Aloisi and Ari Ofsevit.
Aloisi is a Boston-based strategic consultant and former Massachusetts Secretary of Transportation in the Administration of Governor Deval Patrick, where he led a landmark transportation restructuring initiative and made a strong effort to secure new revenue to fund our transportation needs.

Corley is an urban strategist and political economist. She frequently collaborates with TransitMatters on Regional Rail, where transit and development opportunities intersect. She brings expertise in economic development, business, labor markets, architecture, law, and public policy to TransitMatters and the board. This collaboration complements her role as MassINC's Transit-Oriented Development Fellow, where she convenes political and community leaders to advocate for inclusive TOD in Massachusetts’ Gateway Cities.

Ofsevit is TM's Technical Advocacy Director. He has worked extensively with advocacy organizations interested in how small changes and data analysis can bring change and equity to transportation and development projects.
Are you wondering about the what, why, and how of Massachusetts transportation? This will be a great event get your questions answered and network with fellow transportation enthusiasts and advocates.
Admission is free and open to the public. Donations will be gratefully accepted.
Like these events? Volunteer or join as a member and help us keep the conversation going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back