US2 Redevelopment | Union Square | Somerville

How about a page for this one?

- 289,000 square foot Class-A lab building located at 101 South Street and will represent the largest state-of-the-art lab development in Somerville’s growing life science market.
-Dedicated first floor retail, space for community arts uses, and four levels of underground parking.
-completed by late spring 2021 with initial tenant occupancy in the summer of 2021, aligning the opening with the completion of the planned MBTA Green Line station in Union Square.

https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/n...e-redevelopment-of-somervilles-boynton-yards/

How about a page for this one?

- 289,000 square foot Class-A lab building located at 101 South Street and will represent the largest state-of-the-art lab development in Somerville’s growing life science market.
-Dedicated first floor retail, space for community arts uses, and four levels of underground parking.
-completed by late spring 2021 with initial tenant occupancy in the summer of 2021, aligning the opening with the completion of the planned MBTA Green Line station in Union Square.

https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/n...e-redevelopment-of-somervilles-boynton-yards/

Some information on this project can be found in the Boynton Yard thread.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=5737&highlight=boynton+yards

Union-Square-Somerville-Ave-Intersection-Birdseye-Existing.jpg

Union-Square-Somerville-Ave-Intersection-Birdseye-Proposed.jpg

USQ-3-5-Milk-Square-Aerial---FINAL-COLOR-update.jpg

union+square.jpeg

Union+Square+Main+Plaza.jpg

image-asset.jpeg

image-asset.jpeg

Union-Square-Skyline-Birdseye.jpg

Union-Square-Boynton-Yards-Birdseye.jpg

http://www.principle.us/neighborhood-plan-union-square-somerville

Last edited:
^^^Under "Year" it says 2012-2016. Is that just an older proposal for overhauling Union? None of the new buildings look particular familiar compared to the renders of the last few years.

I like the arch. More parks should have a focal point.

Could do some other grand work of art.

I like the arch. More parks should have a focal point.

Could do some other grand work of art.

Absolutely! That looks great and is a wonderful joining point for the Square. It also commemorates one of the finest hours in our nation’s history.

It is something to celebrate, alright!

^^^Under "Year" it says 2012-2016. Is that just an older proposal for overhauling Union? None of the new buildings look particular familiar compared to the renders of the last few years.

It's the current vision, but none of the visuals represent real projects - they're hypothetical massing that has been posted here before.

Please use good judgement when posting renders so that we aren't wasting our time in the comments. No one has proposed an arch there.

I still don't get how Bow Street is going to be closed to most traffic. That's the only way to get to Walnut Street, which is a major connector between the bottom of the hill and the top of the hill.

It's the current vision, but none of the visuals represent real projects - they're hypothetical massing that has been posted here before.

Please use good judgement when posting renders so that we aren't wasting our time in the comments. No one has proposed an arch there.

Yea, I figured it would be pretty easily discernible that its a general masterplan/massing models, and if not the link is there, but I got ya.

Anyways this is going to be a wonderful first hand account of how a new transit line in Boston (green) draws development that was not there before, to use in the future as an argument for more expansion. Well be able to directly point to this area and show the before and after of how much money, jobs, housing...etc comes to Union sq from a new line being added that was not there before. That doesnt happen every day..

Theres been expansions in the past, but those were different times, so itll be great to see the effect today, in the 21st century. Also this part of the green line has no grade crossings and is entirely grade separated so again theres more data on how a new green line acting more like a heavy rail line will affect different areas. Data is huge and theres going to be lots of invaluable data gained here that could be huge in the future.

Hopefully it shows in hard data.. raw numbers, that the money spent on rail here comes back many times over in economic development/output and it kicks many more stalled projects into gear with hard proof that its an investment vs a subsidy.. one can hope. I dont know that answer either, so I cant wait to see, especially once it matures.

Last edited:
For those of you who have been in the area recently, the sewer line project is nearing completion and they are rebuilding the streets and sidewalks. But in their old configuration. I find it baffling that they didn't take the opportunity to start implementing some of these roadway redesigns--at least at the Bow/Washington/Somerville intersection. It looks like it will be put back the way it was, and THEN at some magical future date, the will redesign the roads? Only thing I can think is it because #money.

For those of you who have been in the area recently, the sewer line project is nearing completion and they are rebuilding the streets and sidewalks. But in their old configuration. I find it baffling that they didn't take the opportunity to start implementing some of these roadway redesigns--at least at the Bow/Washington/Somerville intersection. It looks like it will be put back the way it was, and THEN at some magical future date, the will redesign the roads? Only thing I can think is it because #money.
They're making a good amount of changes as part of the project. Not the realignment in the vision plan, but definitely some improvements.

They're making a good amount of changes as part of the project. Not the realignment in the vision plan, but definitely some improvements.

I assume it's because the project teams for those aren't aligned, and the sewer team isn't empowered to change the street to its final configuration. That's a shame, though. The redesigned intersection would be helpful today, long before the development comes.

That said, it's not like the redesign has been modeled behind the concept sketch, so maybe in the intervening years they decided it wouldn't work.

I assume it's because the project teams for those aren't aligned, and the sewer team isn't empowered to change the street to its final configuration. That's a shame, though. The redesigned intersection would be helpful today, long before the development comes.

That said, it's not like the redesign has been modeled behind the concept sketch, so maybe in the intervening years they decided it wouldn't work.

The cycle tracks stop before the intersection and change to the "quick build" posts and paint design, which is still an improvement over what was existing. I can only assume that means they are looking to revisit this location later on.

Back