US2 Redevelopment | Union Square | Somerville

Hardly that big a deal, some irritated passerby with a sharpie.
I'm far more bent out of shape about how long this drainage project is taking.
They seem to be moving at a snails pace and are using the corner of the US2 site for staging so presumably that's what's pushing back breaking ground.

Hardly that big a deal, some irritated passerby with a sharpie.
I'm far more bent out of shape about how long this drainage project is taking.
They seem to be moving at a snails pace and are using the corner of the US2 site for staging so presumably that's what's pushing back breaking ground.

Much of the site got cleared of equipment in the past week. It started on the south end, so I'm not sure if that has to do with the drainage project clearing out or GLX transitioning into station building.

I'd be surprised if they can do much heavy work on the corner until the sewer work is done anyway, though, since I can't imagine getting heavy equipment down Somerville Ave right now.

GLX station site.
DSC_0218.jpeg

The 1488 is a nice touch. Glad to see the Aryan Nation is alive and well in Somerville.

(obviously sarcasm)

In all seriousness, they should take that sign down... Neo Nazi stuff is a little worse than your typical vandalism.

There are cops standing in front of that sign every day directing traffic and helping with construction. It's across the street from the Police Station. Did no one on the force notice or know what that means?

Is that a reclad going on in the background?
Millers River public housing reno. https://www.multihousingnews.com/post/affordable-boston-area-community-receives-82m-loan/

Millers River public housing reno. https://www.multihousingnews.com/post/affordable-boston-area-community-receives-82m-loan/

That's a nice story happening there - - it looks like there will be several benefits occurring simultaneously with that split from one to three different housing portions giving them the opportunity for further development and expanding the walking/biking path, etc.......

In all seriousness, they should take that sign down... Neo Nazi stuff is a little worse than your typical vandalism.
Neo Nazi stuff is way worse than typical vandalism. It is a direct attack on a very specific group of people.

Just a note as construction begins that we have a thread for this specific project:

Would a Mod please decide which thread to go with, or combine the two so we don't have competing threads?

I wish that MEP was in more agreement with the rest of the building. Looks like it was copied from a different building and pasted here. Continuing with the same material and pattern would've made a much better impression.

Hey at least they are keeping the Dunkies across the street! Pheww... lucked out there ;)

I like it; a good quality facade with variety. Nice looking buidling.

Does this project include any serious streetscape improvements? Those sidewalks and that road don't look very friendly for people walking and cycling.

Does this project include any serious streetscape improvements? Those sidewalks and that road don't look very friendly for people walking and cycling.
Probably not. It's hard to widen a street for bike lanes when it's just one lot. I'm happy there isn't a plaza or some other suburban type feature. The building is right up against the sidewalk, and the ground floor appears to be set up for retail, at least in the render.

Hey at least they are keeping the Dunkies across the street! Pheww... lucked out there ;)

Not as much as the Dunkies did - - think about the affect on their bottom line there???? The franchise owner's revenue at that location just increased 30% with this developement. Of course, if they're renting, their rent probably multiplied..

It includes lots of pedestrian improvements aimed at getting people down to the station. There's not much room between the bridge and Somerville ave, so there's not a ton that can be done for bikes beyond what the City already did with their separated bus/bike lane.

Back