USM | Portland

Oakhurst whipped cream in the silver can is the best!

Agreed about dairy milk though....I am an almond milk guy.
[/QUOTE
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but almond milk is as bad as real milk. Almonds are an incredibly resource dependent crop. It takes more water and fertilizer to maintain the trees than almost every other crop in the world. What is worse is they also require extensive use of pesticides which ends up in the almond milk you drink. A healthier option is oat milk.

Real Dairy & Steak 4Evah.

And, it's technically part of the University of Maine, so not the University of Southern Maine. Perhaps someone could elaborate on that?

As I understand it, it's essentially a separate graduate university within the University System that grants its own degrees. Any grads who know better, please correct me.

Drive by some of the development this morning. USM is coming along nicely.
5D5C5021-7ED4-481A-AD9C-EA557271D636.jpeg
4E078C90-07DB-4645-88F7-132D6E6284F9.jpeg

Cool siding. I'd say this building and the new Maine Med one will be impressive new arch additions for the city, for sure (designed by national firms).

Cool siding. I'd say this building and the new Maine Med one will be impressive new arch additions for the city, for sure (designed by national firms).
Yes, because the overused gray metal siding is so forward thinking .... MEH. National design firms are responsible for some of the more horrific architectural trends out there.

Here's another building from the arch firm of the two new USM buildings. I think they know what they are doing. Perhaps they didn't have the budget to do anything "better" (the dorm siding). The first-floor brick looks nice.

F7ADB7C1-F2C2-7A0A-88269B583089CF97.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another building from the arch firm of the two new USM buildings. I think they know what they are doing. Perhaps they didn't have the budget to do anything "better" (the dorm siding). The first-floor brick looks nice.

View attachment 30685
You're now comparing apples to oranges. I am wholly familiar with Elkus-Manfredi's work. The New Balance headquarters is an example of their work way above and beyond the USM project.

You're now comparing apples to oranges. I am wholly familiar with Elkus-Manfredi's work. The New Balance headquarters is an example of their work way above and beyond the USM project.
Actually, if you look into the new USM dorm project's design as a human interactive experience (great arch is mostly that, in my opinion), and it's Passivhaus characteristics, it's kind of brilliant. It's varying angles and heights with different seasonal considerations of the sun, and it's comfy in-the-womb-feel of the courtyard, it works quite well. The facade is only that--a facade. Often, the outside doesn't even matter once the building is built (reference NYC hi-rises on that idea). The New Balance building exterior had to be GREAT due to all the traffic driving by 24/7.

Last edited:
Watch for USM to become a much bigger and important university in the next few years. One key reason is the relative ease of transportation to Boston (the train). Bowdoin is also experiencing this. Boston is becoming the tech center for the world. It looks like the law school is going to stay in its newly renovated place in the Old Port (they are saying this). I'd like to see the old law school building gutted and renovated. The exterior could use a serious power wash and the crown design could be fixed with a top floor addition with large windows (great views). I don't buy the "It's contaminated with mold so it must be destroyed." cry. Even if it is, then heat gun it out. It can be done. The national arch distinction of it as one of the ugliest academic buildings in the country has been too much to bear for the school. Then fix it. Do it over the summer and then it's another large building available to be used for classroom space in the fall.

USM is on a roll. Now that acting great Tony Shalhoub is its de facto public spokesperson for the new arts program and build, it's only upward and onward for this university. I've been saying for several years that UMO's influence in Maine will wane, to become secondary to the Bowdoin/USM/UNEP/Roux/MECA/UNEB transportation spine connecting to Boston. Boston is near or soon will be the center of the tech universe due to MIT and Harvard's accelerated performance, and the many tech companies locating their upper ends of workers here. Portland is an easy and comfortable 2-hour train ride away, and today's and the future's college students are not interested with owning automobiles--they can't use their phones except for calls. Look for USM (Portland) to grow with its arts, science, business, and law programs. Out-of-state and foreign students will be the bigger draw too. They can do undergrad at USM with the option of a graduate school here or in Boston. It's about options, and without driving or taking horrible painful long bus rides. It's not so easy using a laptop and mouse on a bumpity bus ride. Why suffer when you don't have to?

Untitled 547.jpg

Orono isn't going anywhere....why can't USM have success and growth without dragging Orono through the mud?

Here's my contribution to the mudslinging.....acting "great" Tony Shalhoub better open up his wallet a bit wider.....

University of Maine endowment - $444.9 million

University of Southern Maine endowment - $39.4 million

Orono isn't going anywhere....why can't USM have success and growth without dragging Orono through the mud?

Here's my contribution to the mudslinging.....acting "great" Tony Shalhoub better open up his wallet a bit wider.....

University of Maine endowment - $444.9 million

University of Southern Maine endowment - $39.4 million
My intention was to not diminish the credibility of UMO. I'm simply saying that times are changing, and Portland is much closer to Boston with more relevant transportation for today's students. The current endowment number for USM is a result of its being a lackluster university. That will change, and the Gorham campus will eventually be discontinued (sold). The continued growth of Portland along with the clever designs of the new student center and dorms will create a new energy for the school. I think the old law school building will be demolished (though it could be improved) and the graduate school of business will locate on that end of the campus. I also think that a new science building will be built, and more homes in the neighborhood will be renovated for student housing. The Bayside area at or near 52 Hanover will also provide off-campus housing for the school. Options. I think the greatest possible growth for a college in Maine would be for Bowdoin, but they are carefully managing that for the obvious reasons. I can't emphasize enough how important that transportation spine from Brunswick to Boston is contributing to the success of all of this. I went to Thornton Academy, and it now has over 300 foreign students paying nearly 40K a year because of its proximity to Boston, along with an outstanding STEM program (it's also a designated Apple school). Parents see that easy connect to Boston, and their goal is to get their kids into Harvard or M.I.T. How can you blame them? TA has also built three fantastic Passivehaus dorms with heated floors for these foreign students. Most are from much warmer climates. Who doesn't want comfort? They all love it here.

Last edited:
On the topic of campus construction, here's some recently completed portfolio from my University.

Similar size to USM as well, interesting.

Back