View Boston (Observatory) | Prudential Tower | Back Bay

8/11 When is the observatory supposed to reopen?

IMG_3130 by David Z, on Flickr
Great question. Back in 2020 the developers said “Work is supposed to wrap in time for a mid-2022 reopening,” but that’s clearly not happening. I’d bet spring 2023.

The building sort of looks so brand spanking new & clean now!!!!!!!! :)

Have they even started the construction of the proposed entrance next to Blue Bottle coffee? That is a BIG piece of this overall project. I haven't been to the Shops at Prudential in quite some time, so I don't know if the entrance pavilion is under construction. Nobody has posted any construction photos. It contained a Huge staircase and ramp to the lower garage floor where you would buy your tickets and enter the elevator.

Have they even started the construction of the proposed entrance next to Blue Bottle coffee? That is a BIG piece of this overall project. I haven't been to the Shops at Prudential in quite some time, so I don't know if the entrance pavilion is under construction. Nobody has posted any construction photos. It contained a Huge staircase and ramp to the lower garage floor where you would buy your tickets and enter the elevator.

Actually I was just there the other day. Nothing. The South Garden appears untouched.

I honestly hope they've abandoned it, there's a great row of mature trees there; I don't see a reason to cut them down for such an overdesigned entrance.

Actually I was just there the other day. Nothing. The South Garden appears untouched.

I honestly hope they've abandoned it, there's a great row of mature trees there; I don't see a reason to cut them down for such an overdesigned entrance.
I'm not sure if plans were changed, but last time I was there, the old Microsoft location had a banner about the new observatory. Perhaps they switched up the plans from using the garden to taking over that space instead.

Some of the trees are dying and an arborist recommended removing them before a failure or potential for one to fall over. Something about the root balls not having anywhere to go/grow. They committed to replacement trees equal to or more than the existing shade cover.

I have been wondering about the Microsoft site, myself. Wouldn’t be surprised if they amend their proposal. I don’t recall too much enthusiasm for that over-designed ramp into a parking garage.

edit: grammar

Last edited:
If you pop on to the VisitBoston IG, there is a little Pru preview in their strories. It should be there another 15 hours or so before it vanishes.

If you pop on to the VisitBoston IG, there is a little Pru preview in their strories. It should be there another 15 hours or so before it vanishes.

Nice find!

Here's an Imgur link to a recording of the video, for when the Instagram story expires.

I have been wondering about the Microsoft site, myself. Wouldn’t be surprised if they amend their proposal. I don’t recall too much enthusiasm for that over-designed ramp into a parking garage.

edit: grammar

Very interesting. The entrance pavilion was a large design feature of this Observatory Renovation in the documents I reviewed. It would certainly make sense to use the Microsoft store instead. Does anyone know if the yellow garage entrance to the Pru has any construction that you can see? At that level was a shoe shine place and some other services businesses if I remember correctly. Maybe even a post office? Anyway..................I wonder if you can see any construction at the lowest level of the Pru Elevator Lobby?

This is the Microsoft store, correct? It looks a little bit smaller than the proposed entrance pavilion.

1660671664644.png

Ok, the outside of the tower looks nice & clean, but when are they going to show how the interior looks? :unsure:

Back