View Boston (Observatory) | Prudential Tower | Back Bay

What was the cost of this again? 200M? and they build an observation deck which is (yawn) something I wouldn't even considering doing. The old top of the hub was actually fun from time to time. I don't see the ROI for this.

There's a damn subscription pop-up that won't let me see the page!! That is so ridiculous!! :mad:

I gotchu bro.

View Boston is slated to open in the spring of 2023 after a roughly three-year closure.

View Boston will enable visitors to tailor their experience depending on their interests, such as highlighting food or arts destinations.

View Boston atop the Prudential Tower will span 59,000 square feet.

A rendering of Boston Properties' plans for the Prudential tower.

View Boston will include two food-and-drink areas and three stories of space.

Here's how Boston Properties envisions transforming the Prudential Tower pavilion and observatory in Boston's Back Bay.

View Boston will include an outdoor component for the first time.

View Boston is also slated to have a new entrance from the Prudential Tower's base.

A rendering of Boston Properties' plans for the remade Prudential space.

I gotchu bro.

View Boston is slated to open in the spring of 2023 after a roughly three-year closure.

View Boston will enable visitors to tailor their experience depending on their interests, such as highlighting food or arts destinations.

A rendering of Boston Properties' plans for the Prudential tower.' plans for the Prudential tower.

Here's how Boston Properties envisions transforming the Prudential Tower pavilion and observatory in Boston's Back Bay.'s how Boston Properties envisions transforming the Prudential Tower pavilion and observatory in Boston's Back Bay.

View Boston is also slated to have a new entrance from the Prudential Tower's base.'s base.

A rendering of Boston Properties' plans for the remade Prudential space.' plans for the remade Prudential space.

My favorite part is where they seem to assume that people would rather take selfies with their logo - which is at the top of a dedicated ramp for the purpose and is depicted as generating a long queue - than with the panoramic view from 650' 180 degrees away. This may be the most unintentionally hilarious render of the year.

Not for nothing, & not trying to complain, but they should've put a bar up there & a little sandwich shop in part of the space there. With small tables & chairs. People visiting the decks might get a little hungry or thirsty. 🥪🍻🍔🍩🍸🍷

Last edited:
The project will include a new bistro and a cocktail lounge according to the BBJ:

May I ask a flavor, please? When you post a pic of the link, could you please make sure that there are no ridiculous pop-up ads that block the page? Not blaming you, but those damn pop-up ads are so damn annoying, ridiculous & stupid!!! No one should have to pay to see a link by being forced to sign up for prescriptions to a newspaper or magazine ad!! Thanks. :eek:(n)

May I ask a flavor, please? When you post a pic of the link, could you please make sure that there are no ridiculous pop-up ads that block the page? Not blaming you, but those damn pop-up ads are so damn annoying, ridiculous & stupid!!! No one should have to pay to see a link by being forced to sign up for prescriptions to a newspaper or magazine ad!! Thanks. :eek:(n)
You do know that newspaper is a business and they need to make money to pay their workers right? This type of complaining is ridiculous

My favorite part is where they seem to assume that people would rather take selfies with their logo - which is at the top of a dedicated ramp for the purpose and is depicted as generating a long queue - than with the panoramic view from 650' 180 degrees away. This may be the most unintentionally hilarious render of the year.
I thought exactly the same lmao. What a bland and soulless set of renderings.

The 3rd one with that platform and selfie zones:rolleyes: show the most "design." But it looks way too far from the glass to be any use? Half of their photos are gunna be just blank floor behind them and then skyline above if they're really using cameras mounted that high... It looks like P+W gave this to their interns lol

Interestingly they dont show whats going on in floor 50, the old observation deck floor thats supposed to be yet another observation floor. I still think keeping the obs deck on 50, adding the outdoor deck on the roof, and keeping a restaurant in 51/52 would have still been a huge upgrade and made the most sense. No idea why we need 3 floors of observation decks with a single floor deck, an outdoor deck on top, and a double height indoor deck above that.

You do know that newspaper is a business and they need to make money to pay their workers right? This type of complaining is ridiculous

Call it what you will. I'm just not giving in & paying some damn ad that wants money in order to be able to read a link. I'm just not doing it! It's not fair. (n)

Last edited:
I gotchu bro.

A rendering of Boston Properties' plans for the Prudential tower.' plans for the Prudential tower.

Here's how Boston Properties envisions transforming the Prudential Tower pavilion and observatory in Boston's Back Bay.'s how Boston Properties envisions transforming the Prudential Tower pavilion and observatory in Boston's Back Bay.

View Boston is also slated to have a new entrance from the Prudential Tower's base.'s base.

A rendering of Boston Properties' plans for the remade Prudential space.' plans for the remade Prudential space.
Ugh how I wish they could've added some kind of cool looking screen above to hide all the mechanicals and various little antennas and turned the central one into an actual spire, incorporating the big antenna within. It could look so cool plus add on about 100 feet to the actual height. Plus they could've made that spire light up with the weather or various other ways, like the old JHK one does.

It's a cross-section of the cab with a wall deleted. It shows interior space.
Haha thanks Equilibria, I was being a bit facetious. ;) It's more that the rendering is bad (or silly) and the programing of the space is strange. Are those selfie stations with wall-mounted cameras? Who is going to pay for that or give their personal info to get that photo? What is with the wall treatment? Is that just a vinyl graphic applied to a flat wall or is the wall articulated or have some sort of architectural cladding?

Don't get me started on the lighting and composition of this rendering, everyone loves some dramatic up-lighting to cast shadows on your weird wall and nothing says "family friendly fun" or "romantic date" like a rendering showing the moody chaos of a roof packed with mechanicals. Annnnyyywwwwwaays...

Back