View Boston (Observatory) | Prudential Tower | Back Bay

The letters also change color too. Not the best image, but the one I could find.

View attachment 31495

Source:

Things posted on Twitter aren't coming through. But I DO remember the little spotlights under & above the top floor when the restaurant was there. They could do a little something like the obs deck featured at the Hancock Center in Chicago. Part of the obs deck on the 94th floor is a small snack bar where you can get a sammie & drinks, such as a beer or mixed drinks.

The holiday program is back, though notice many have two colors this year…

Does anyone have pics of the bistro & cocktail lounge that's planned for View Boston? I've been trying to find them online, but to no avail! To see what they would look like when completed. I think that they'll be put on floors 50 & 52, or 51 & 52. :unsure:

Last edited:
Anyway, the Pru will feature the highest obs deck(s) in Boston, Since the John Hancock Tower did away with its obs deck after the 09-11 terror attacks. There are still people working in the building, so what's the difference??!!
:) :)

Last edited:
From today. Aside from the silly names they're assigning to various floors and features (read the article for more on that. They're fine, just... yeah, silly) the "big news" is a render of of Stratus, the rooftop cocktail bar at View Boston. There seemed to have been a good degree of concern/excitement/confusion around here (at least for some, or one) about what food and drink options will be available atop the Pru in a post-Top of the Hub world, so here's a glimpse:
Stratus-Rooftop-Bar-View-Boston-63c02af03775b-scaled.jpg copy.jpg

"Seasonal drink menus and shareable small plates." -- that's more than what's available atop Shanghai Tower or Shanghai World Financial Center and similar to what's offered at the top of the Hancock Tower in Chicago. Not a full restaurant, but the indoor/outdoor aspect will be excellent when the weather cooperates and generally speaking it'll do the job just fine.

Last edited:
I haven't been in the Prudential Center Shopping Arcade in quite a while. Is there any construction that can been seen from the old Microsoft Store or the Yellow/Orange garage level? Where is this entrance located within the arcade? It's hard to tell from the rendering.

1673546489347.png

I haven't been in the Prudential Center Shopping Arcade in quite a while. Is there any construction that can been seen from the old Microsoft Store or the Yellow/Orange garage level? Where is this entrance located within the arcade? It's hard to tell from the rendering.

It used to be down an escalator to a lower level than the mall stores, and then back up the elevator from there. I last went in February 2020, right before covid, and I guess right before it closed for the renovation.

Here is essentially the most recent view from the observatory, 2/2/2020. I don't believe Winthrop Square is going to be visible, but obviously the State Street building will stand out to the left, and the South Station Tower site on the right. PO Square is blocked so the renovation doesn't change this view. The Alcott would be added further left. Raffles might look decently large due to proximity. Then obviously there are smaller changes that will be visible around the rest of the city. From this side there are also changes in the Seaport and South End since 2020.

IMG_0201 by David Z, on Flickr

Last edited:

View attachment 32914
I was in there yesterday and there is a big white wall in this spot with that logo on it. It's just off that 4-way hallway intersection, around the corner from where you go in to get to the Pru elevators.

I was in there yesterday and there is a big white wall in this spot with that logo on it. It's just off that 4-way hallway intersection, around the corner from where you go in to get to the Pru elevators.

That was the Microsoft Store location, correct? It was located at the corner of the "Center Court" or whatever they are calling it now.

Has the pavilion concept been scrapped?
I'm assuming yes, since there has been no construction near Blue Bottle where the pavilion was supposed to have been constructed. I'm assuming the Microsoft Store location became available, and it was more cost effective to construct the entrance at that location since it's very near the Pru Elevator Core. However, I'm wondering if you can see construction barriers on the garage level below? Again, I'm assuming you would enter the Microsoft store location and travel DOWN to buy your ticket and access a dedicated elevator from the lower lobby. Thus, eliminating any "conflict of interest" between the Pru office tenants and tourists.

I'm assuming yes, since there has been no construction near Blue Bottle where the pavilion was supposed to have been constructed. I'm assuming the Microsoft Store location became available, and it was more cost effective to construct the entrance at that location since it's very near the Pru Elevator Core. However, I'm wondering if you can see construction barriers on the garage level below? Again, I'm assuming you would enter the Microsoft store location and travel DOWN to buy your ticket and access a dedicated elevator from the lower lobby. Thus, eliminating any "conflict of interest" between the Pru office tenants and tourists.

When TOTH was there along with the Original Skywalk, they had high-speed elevators that would whisk & propel visitors up to those two floors non-stop. You were there in about 45 seconds or more. Hopefully it will still be the same way!! :) :)

Last edited:
BRA site lists it as on hold.

When will we see the actual pics inside, instead of just the renderings all the time?!! :unsure:

1/7 From Union.
IMG_0145 by David Z, on Flickr
IMG_0146 by David Z, on Flickr

I will always love the Pru, but I must say, the glossy renovation of its "top hat," with clean new glazing, accent lighting, and lighter colored trim, has had an unfortunate side effect: it makes the massive amount of crap on the roof really stand out in a ridiculous way that wasn't as apparent previously.

I will always love the Pru, but I must say, the glossy renovation of its "top hat," with clean new glazing, accent lighting, and lighter colored trim, has had an unfortunate side effect: it makes the massive amount of crap on the roof really stand out in a ridiculous way that wasn't as apparent previously.

Yes, I wish there was some kind of screen or tower cap like the following tower in Atlanta. However, I think people on this board would scream. LOL I'm NOT a fan of the PRU top, but I do appreciate the purists on this board that like it. Personally, I think some of that crap on the top could be cleverly hidden without destroying the essence of the PRU architecture.

1673894659501.png

Yes, I wish there was some kind of screen or tower cap like the following tower in Atlanta. However, I think people on this board would scream. LOL I'm NOT a fan of the PRU top, but I do appreciate the purists on this board that like it. Personally, I think some of that crap on the top could be cleverly hidden without destroying the essence of the PRU architecture.

View attachment 33058
Yes, I said this on here awhile back. A more modernized, cleaned-up version of this Atlanta building's top would be great for the Pru.

Back