Volpe Transportation Center Development | Kendall Sq | Cambridge

Thank you. I missed the WP article and couldn't connect the dots.

I don't see how this is really connected to Volpe though. The Volpe deal has been finalized and the sale has been made.

I don't see how this is really connected to Volpe though. The Volpe deal has been finalized and the sale has been made.

And it is a "good deal" for the Federal government and the economy to keep Kendall Square moving forward.

You guys are all being far too positive.
I must have mis-typed the website or something.

As someone a bit familiar with Washington's ways, I opined that GSA would close on Kendall before Obama left office. Otherwise, a President Trump likely would defer a decision, and order a review of the whole deal.

Oh, GSA was quite explicit throughout they wanted to push a deal on Volpe through before Obama left office. Wasn't about Trump or any GOP president, even, just the normal turnover that would come with new any new administration. Smart.
Though given that has transpired since November 8 that probably looks even smarter in hindsight. Does not appear GSA has permanently filled hardly any of its top national jobs or regional director posts yet.
https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104936

At the same time:

The Cambridge Ordinance Committee asked MIT for a more robust transportation plan at an Aug. 2 public hearing on the university’s rezoning petition for the Volpe National Transportation Systems Center site in Kendall Square.

I missed the discussion and did not know that Cambridge have thoughts of a 1000' tower (or maybe I just forgot). While it doesn't look like that it would happen, I have to wonder what would be Boston's (certain media and politicians I mean) reaction to a tower being 210' taller than Boston's tallest tower.

Cause having a rapid transit line isn't enough :rolleyes:

Well, given that the Red Line at Kendall is pretty maxed out at rush hour, it's probably a good suggestion to look for enhancement options when you add this much commercial and residential space. Red Line capacity is a very real issue.

Well, given that the Red Line at Kendall is pretty maxed out at rush hour, it's probably a good suggestion to look for enhancement options when you add this much commercial and residential space. Red Line capacity is a very real issue.

The RL fleet replacement and expansion will reduce headways from 4.5 minutes to 3 minutes and increase capacity by up to 50%. That is already fully underway, no additional funds or political capital required. RL capacity has been thoroughly addressed already.

Kendall really needs improved bus service, which I think was made possible by the realignment of Third St. near the station. I'm not sure if any increased bus service has actually begun.

The EZ Ride needs to be replaced by an MBTA service, needs more service, and needs a few strategically placed bus lanes to jump long queues.

The grand junction is a red herring.

The RL fleet replacement and expansion will reduce headways from 4.5 minutes to 3 minutes and increase capacity by up to 50%. That is already fully underway, no additional funds or political capital required. RL capacity has been thoroughly addressed already.

Kendall really needs improved bus service, which I think was made possible by the realignment of Third St. near the station. I'm not sure if any increased bus service has actually begun.

The EZ Ride needs to be replaced by an MBTA service, needs more service, and needs a few strategically placed bus lanes to jump long queues.

The grand junction is a red herring.

Completely agree with this.

One caveat, the Red Line headway reduction will be great for commuters primarily using that line to/from Kendall (from Alewife, from South Station, from the South Shore.) But it is going to move the capacity problem from the Red Line itself to the downtown transfer stations (DTC, Park).

That is why the bus enhancements you mention are so critical. We need to distribute the Kendall area traffic out to other lines (Green, Orange, North Side commuter rail) by other means without overwhelming DTC and Park.

Grand Junction is fine in the long term planning mix (don't want it forgotten, or it will never happen), but it is really long term.

Looks like grand junction is going rail trail instead of bus or light rail: http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/Projects/Transportation/GrandJunctionPathway

While they say it can still meet both current use and future passenger service there is only so much space in the ROW... still ... the rail trails do improve local quality of life.

Would be good to see the planning process work from the perspective of a desired end state (with the line converted to light rail with two tracks).

Looks like grand junction is going rail trail instead of bus or light rail: http://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/Projects/Transportation/GrandJunctionPathway

While they say it can still meet both current use and future passenger service there is only so much space in the ROW... still ... the rail trails do improve local quality of life.

Would be good to see the planning process work from the perspective of a desired end state (with the line converted to light rail with two tracks).

Given that a bus or light rail use would require the removal of the conventional rails, not sure that this is an either/or.

Completely agree with this.

One caveat, the Red Line headway reduction will be great for commuters primarily using that line to/from Kendall (from Alewife, from South Station, from the South Shore.) But it is going to move the capacity problem from the Red Line itself to the downtown transfer stations (DTC, Park).

That is why the bus enhancements you mention are so critical. We need to distribute the Kendall area traffic out to other lines (Green, Orange, North Side commuter rail) by other means without overwhelming DTC and Park.

Grand Junction is fine in the long term planning mix (don't want it forgotten, or it will never happen), but it is really long term.

Got to think they'll improve bus service from Lechmere into Kendall as part of the Green Line Extension/realignment, yes? First Street will eventually be a through street into Northpoint, which it isn't now. Will make that short trip much easier than the current Lechmere bus station setup, and likely there'll be a lot more passenger traffic at that station as well as the Green Line extends out into Somerville.
And, yeah, more bus to North Station and the Orange Line would be great too.

Last edited:
Would the Volpe site in Kendall Square be able to accommodate a new Amazon headquarters?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/technology/amazon-headquarters-north-america.html

Here is the RFP:

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17044620011

Probably should start an Amazon Boston RFP thread to discuss other potential sites, but it seems Kendall Square should be right up there in the mix.

Even if the Volpe site could accommodate the HQ, I don't see how the financial math could work.

Kendall is a red hot real estate market, among the hottest in the country. Amazon is certainly looking for a sweetheart deal in exchange for siting the HQ and all those jobs. i don't see those two coming together.

MIT and Cambridge know they can fill Volpe at market rate without Amazon.

Even if the Volpe site could accommodate the HQ, I don't see how the financial math could work.

Kendall is a red hot real estate market, among the hottest in the country. Amazon is certainly looking for a sweetheart deal in exchange for siting the HQ and all those jobs. i don't see those two coming together.

MIT and Cambridge know they can fill Volpe at market rate without Amazon.

Sure they could fill Volpe either way, but with Amazon as a large anchor tenant they could build Volpe bigger in the first place without having to worry about financing it with as much MIT investment money up front.

Amazon is looking for a sweat heart tax incentive deal, but their requirements are not going to allow them to go cheap on the real estate.

Back