"Walk To The Sea" Approved

briv

Reaction score
Both of these articles are from the Globe:

Leventhal Walk-to-the-Sea trail gets an approval
June 3, 2008 04:07 PM

The Boston Redevelopment Authority, the city's planning agency, approved the Norman B. Leventhal Walk to the Sea, Mayor Thomas M. Menino said today.
The one-mile trail will stretch from the top of Beacon Hill to Boston Harbor, and it will feature panels that seek to showcase four centuries of Boston and American history, the BRA said. (A rendering of one of those panels appears above, and it was provided by the BRA.)
The Walk-to-the-Sea trail will honor Leventhal, a prominent philanthropist, developer, and cofounder of the Beacon Cos., a Boston real estate firm. As a developer, he is known for such projects as the Park at Post Office Square and Rowes Wharf, among many others.
City Hall said in a press release, "From Beacon Street down State Street to Long Wharf, the Walk to the Sea will incorporate 10 architecturally designed glass-and-stainless panels with text, images, and maps, each reflecting how part of the city has been transformed."
A map buff, Leventhal contributed $10 million last year for a permanent endowment of the Boston Public Library's map center.
On the occasion of Leventhal's 90th birthday last August, Menino announced that the Walk to the Sea would be renamed in Leventhal's honor.

In a statement today, Menino said of Leventhal, "For years, he has helped to shape our city, and now we will have a lasting way to recognize his dedication in a way that will inform others of the rich history of our city."
Leventhal is a 1933 graduate of Boston Latin School, and the school's original site will be referenced on the Walk to the Sea, the BRA said.
No city funding will be used in the project, a BRA spokeswoman said; plans call for the panels to be paid for and maintained by the Mapping Boston Foundation.
(By Chris Reidy, Globe staff)

Walk to the Sea wins approval from BRA
June 4, 2008

The Boston Redevelopment Authority yesterday approved a historic walking tour that chronicles changes in the city's landscape and architecture over time.

The Norman B. Leventhal "Walk to the Sea" trail, named for the longtime Boston developer, will cover a one-mile stretch from Beacon Hill to State Street, in the Financial District, to Long Wharf, on the harbor. It will feature glass and steel panels with historic maps and stories of how eight Boston locations along the route have transformed over time. For example, one site is the Custom House, originally a harborside structure that is now two blocks inland and has a distinctive clock tower.
The city did not know yesterday how much the project would cost. It will be paid for by the Mapping Boston Foundation, a nonprofit funded by Leventhal's former firm, the Beacon Cos. The foundation had $3.5 million in assets in 2006, according to its latest tax filing.
Mayor Thomas M. Menino proposed this project last August at Leventhal's 90th birthday party; Leventhal later agreed to fund the project through the foundation. The developer is best known for projects such as the Park at Post Office Square, Rowes Wharf, and South Station. The trail is scheduled to be completed by fall.

BETH HEALY
dingbat_story_end_icon.gif

? Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.

leventhal.jpg

Post Office Square and Rowe's Wharf --the best achievements of recent times. Why can't they clone him?

Last edited:
Agreed!

Hopefully, this will finish-off the Liebeskind box that was going to block part of the view of Rowes Wharf

Westy

saw a 'test panel' in and around scollay square. Interesting...

The Metro reported that the budget of this was $22 million... does anyone know if this is true? That is an absurd number for signage. Are they repaving the entire trail? Or is that number just off?

PUSH: Anyone know, did this end up happening? I can't remember ever seeing any signage along that route, but I was never looking for it.

If Norman Leventhal was 90 years old when this was proposed in 2008, the odds are not good he'll live to see it completed?

Yes it did! McKinley Sq right outside of Marriott's Custom House has one.

Yeah, and I recall looking at a couple of these too. I'm pretty sure I saw at least one on/by the Greenway, and there was something similar at Quincy Market (but I'm not sure it was the same... i.e. it may have just been a new Freedom Trail addition).

I'm on co-op at city hall now, so I'll keep an eye out for these signs during my lunch break(s) the next few months.

The Metro reported that the budget of this was $22 million... does anyone know if this is true? That is an absurd number for signage. Are they repaving the entire trail? Or is that number just off?

Let's hope the city did not spend $22 million to tell us which way the ocean is.

Let's hope the city did not spend $22 million to tell us which way the ocean is.

They've got some interesting historical facts on them. Definitely something enjoyable for tourists.

Their graphic design composition is excellent too.

I've seen these. They are really nice, but still a waste of money. Boston is pretty poor at providing services for actual residents, it annoys me how much money is dumped into something for tourists who probably don't even notice them.

I've seen these. They are really nice, but still a waste of money. Boston is pretty poor at providing services for actual residents, it annoys me how much money is dumped into something for tourists who probably don't even notice them.

What a terrible, small-minded attitude. Boston is Boston, and not Houston, because of its history. If you don't like cities that actually have history to celebrate, then go live in San Jose. If you actually bothered to read the quoted article, you'd know that this was done with private money. And as to providing services, what are you expecting - catered meals? I think you'd be much happier in a nice residential suburb, where they have nothing better to do than cater to residents.

What a terrible, small-minded attitude. Boston is Boston, and not Houston, because of its history. If you don't like cities that actually have history to celebrate, then go live in San Jose. If you actually bothered to read the quoted article, you'd know that this was done with private money. And as to providing services, what are you expecting - catered meals? I think you'd be much happier in a nice residential suburb, where they have nothing better to do than cater to residents.
+1

and without tourism, our life in this city would be a lot less pleasant because of the way it boosts our economy.

Im all for catering to tourist and I think these signs are cool and all, but there is no way it should cost 22 million. Its rediculous.

Im all for catering to tourist and I think these signs are cool and all, but there is no way it should cost 22 million. Its rediculous.

Private Money!!

They can and will spend what they think is appropriate

Reember some law Partber just bought the Penthouse at the Mandarin Oriental for 13M$

I'd bet that over time this walk might get to be quite popular -- BUT it needs interactive panels wih LEDs ajd Bluetooth

These have been in place for years and people who walk by them everyday barely notice them, but ya, you guys are right, I'm sure the "walk to the sea" attracts a lot of tourists. I didn't know this was a website were people launched petty personal attacks on other members, but I guess I was wrong.

Private Money!!

They can and will spend what they think is appropriate

Reember some law Partber just bought the Penthouse at the Mandarin Oriental for 13M$

I'd bet that over time this walk might get to be quite popular -- BUT it needs interactive panels wih LEDs ajd Bluetooth

I'm not arguing with that, and I'm thrilled that they were able to raise so much money for this project, but I'm just still scratching my head at that figure against what was built.... according to the website there are 8 nodes. That is nearly $3 million per sign, and I just don't see it. I mean it could be $10million per sign and I wouldn't be upset per se, just even more confused.

Back