Walkability

tangent

Reaction score
There seems to always be focus on big ticket transportation items on this board, but the most important and most utilized mode of transportation for a city is the pedestrian sidewalks, paths and walking routes along our streets, parks and waterfront. Boston is a walkable city, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Interesting article on the benefits of walkable cities for health, but suggesting a greater emphasis on the pleasure of walking to improve happiness.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/living-most-walkable-cities-might-make-you-healthier-it-wont-make-you-happier-359540

Why aren't there more overhanging awnings and arcaded walkways in a modern city? Medieval Europe seemed to have arcaded sidewalks as a solution to (1) more sidewalk space but (2) ample second story space.

A big barrier to walking (for me) is that it means being exposed one element or another (wind, rain, sun) on any non-perfect day. Is is possible that part of what walking needs (in Boston) is a system of semi-roof or semi-enclosure?

Why aren't there more overhanging awnings and arcaded walkways in a modern city? Medieval Europe seemed to have arcaded sidewalks as a solution to (1) more sidewalk space but (2) ample second story space.

A big barrier to walking (for me) is that it means being exposed one element or another (wind, rain, sun) on any non-perfect day. Is is possible that part of what walking needs (in Boston) is a system of semi-roof or semi-enclosure?

Arlington, that is a great observation.

For me, the Prudential Center/Copley Place complex kind of serves this purpose. The malls there are rarely a destination for me, but with easy access from both Back Bay Station and Prudential T stations, it is a great way to cut through indoors to other destinations near the many entrances.

I would like to see more buildings with awnings in front, even if as crappy as NYC ones from "the doorman" to "the taxi". Bus shelters are also helpful if they are near a busy streetcorner and you can briefly hide in there while waiting for your "WALK" signal.

We've ruled out the failed, streetlife-killing Minneapolis-style hamster tubes,

but something between a high medieval arcade, like the Metz Arcade
640px-Place_Saint-Louis_%28Vue_d%27ensemble%29_-_Metz_57.JPG

Or a covered park promenades (these from HK) that would make the Greenway worth crossing the street to get to in foul weather. The Greenway is pretty to look at from the "business" sides of the Surface Artery, but in bad weathe, the "median strip" is just a path through an unforgiving wilderness bounded by rushing traffic.

Covered sidewalks on the Greenway side of the street would probably be well used.
30699_150parkskaitak.jpg

320px-HK_Admiralty_Tamar_Park_glass_covered_footbridge_walkway_Sept-2012_%281%29.JPG

Last edited:
The answer to "why aren't there..." is "money".

The answer to "why aren't there..." is "money".
I think it is just as much imagination--after all we're coming late to the idea of complete streets. These are arts that we forgot during a century of car-focused planning and enter-through-the-garage. [Promoting] more and longer walks [seems] a recent institutional realization.

The Greenway, for starters, is a polished granite and teak botanical Disneyland, and seems not to have had money as a limiter.

As The band They Might Be Giants said in kicking off their free concert on the Rose Kennedy Greenway:
We want to welcome you to the world's only park built entirely of CASH

Macy's (nee Jordan Marsh) has a glorious, continuous, block long awning over its shop windows on Summer St, and at least a lame effort on Washington. Filenes has/had expansive ones over each of its entrances (maybe good for netting out to half coverage on its side of Summer St) Tremont has 3 good and stragely-varied examples: Suffolks doric portico on Sargent Hall, the red awning on the otherwise-awful 151 Tremont, and the Loewe's big corner entrance awning.

It isn't hard or expensive...but somebody needs to remind owners old and new that for transit to work, walking has to work too.

Last edited:
Arcaded sidewalks have problems, I feel. In winter, they tend to be dark and cold (go to Milan in the winter and you start to crave crossing the street just to get some sun on your shoulder). They hide retail. They make ground floors dark.

The worst pedestrian experiences in Boston - always, but exacerbated in bad weather - are

1) Bridges. Charles River and South Bay (South end to Southie) bridges come to mind immediately. Would I love covered sidewalks on the longer of these bridges? Yes, I would.

2) Unnecessarily wide street crossings - bring in the bump-outs, please.

3) Crossing signals that are idiotic and frustrating, universally ignored by residents who quickly realize the futility of waiting for a walk signal (and, sometimes, walk signals that actually fly in the face of safety and common sense)

4) Culture of cars not yielding to pedestrians in crosswalk - we need UK-style Zebra Crossings here in all heavily-walked areas

5) Walking alongside blank walls or empty parcels - a scale issue that gives the pedestrian a feeling of not getting anywhere. A rich and varied experience tends to yield a far more pleasant walk

... Not a comprehensive list!

A few of the smaller urban centers have had revitalization studies done by MIT and Tufts that have concentrated on improving foot traffic in their "villages" and promote the viability of these small commercial districts.

Roslindale Village has had at least two:
http://tinyurl.com/MIT-2005-Rozzie-Study
http://tinyurl.com/Tufts-Rozzie-Study

Brookline Village is currently undergoing an MIT study, final report to be presented December 2nd at Brookline Town Hall
Presentation from early November: http://www.brooklinema.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/8329

Arlington, that is a great observation.

For me, the Prudential Center/Copley Place complex kind of serves this purpose. The malls there are rarely a destination for me, but with easy access from both Back Bay Station and Prudential T stations, it is a great way to cut through indoors to other destinations near the many entrances.

The Pru/BBY walk has the potential to become our version of Crystal City if Pike air rights development [cue hysterical laughter] extended it as a project requirement for each parcel build. The missing links are getting it to Mass Ave. and Hynes station on the north end and Ink Block on the south end.

The current walk doesn't stay at any one level, dipping down and going above, so the connections themselves shouldn't be a problem. It's more about hitting the BRA with a shovel to realize how close we are to having a truly special asset like that and...um...that whole little fine print about actually filling said air rights parcels that have been on the market for 4 decades.

The Pru/BBY walk has the potential to become our version of Crystal City if Pike air rights development [cue hysterical laughter] extended it as a project requirement for each parcel build. The missing links are getting it to Mass Ave. and Hynes station on the north end and Ink Block on the south end.

The current walk doesn't stay at any one level, dipping down and going above, so the connections themselves shouldn't be a problem. It's more about hitting the BRA with a shovel to realize how close we are to having a truly special asset like that and...um...that whole little fine print about actually filling said air rights parcels that have been on the market for 4 decades.

F-Line -- that is an outstanding concept. Too bad it is so hard to get air rights built out.

^ I think, if it's ever going to get done, the state would need to bite the bullet and build the decking itself. Then gradually earn the money back by leasing the decking to developers. Maybe that's just politically impossible.

^ I think, if it's ever going to get done, the state would need to bite the bullet and build the decking itself. Then gradually earn the money back by leasing the decking to developers. Maybe that's just politically impossible.

This is a question I have about the Massport Air Rights Garage near the convention center. Is the decking already there? It kind of looks like it to me from satellite photos/Google Street View. Was that good planning?

Put it this way...if you can get the indoor link out to the Hynes lobby, you can get it across the street to the #1 southbound bus shelter via the reanimated/renovated underpass to that side of the road. Then all you need to do is streetscape upper Boylston and/or Ipswich using whatever chunks of that rump of grass along the Pike retaining wall do the trick, to tie a direct path hook-in to the Emerald Necklace. Which will hopefully be a lot more accessible in that area when they tear down the Bowker Overpass and reconfigure the Charlesgate @ Boylston intersection for weaveless traffic flow. You could possibly even hollow out passenger walkways on one or both sides of the Muddy overpass on Boylston for a grade separated slip-under, and if you play your cards right between Mass Ave. and here could potentially do it without a single crosswalk.

Indoors, you take advantage of the next Pru/Copley Place renovation. High-end malls almost always cycle cosmetic makeovers once every 20 years or so. We're getting close to due for one. So you tweak the layout of kiosks, benches, indoor plantings and whatnot for optimized pedestrian flow indoors. It really sucks today--especially during a convention, or summer when kids are loitering about--and makes little attempt to corral the loiterers vs. the people who have to move across the complex to get to/from their jobs in the towers or to/from their next convention session. So there's a lot to improve on there, and it can be done just with a cosmetic reorg. Crank up the wayfinding bigtime...like, "Freedom (of the Free Market) Trail"-level wayfinding with signature pathmarkers in the tile showing the way through intuitively without having to keep confusedly looking up for signage.

See what's starting to come together here?

-- Get that missing north end link built out and the wayfinding optimized, and we've bound our Crystal City thingy in Back Bay directly to Olmstead's original handiwork. The Muddy River Reservation restoration plans do the rest at cleaning up the environment outbound and optimizing it for ever-better pedestrian travel. Put some oomph behind that gradual effort and bind the wayfinding tightly together, and you've got a pretty grand gateway that runs several miles through both nature and skyscrapers, which the out-of-towners will use in droves.

-- You already have a direct link to SW Corridor Park outside the Westin and BBY station. It's frustratingly underutilized because so few non-natives know of the grade separation to Mass Ave. and the signage from indoors is nearly non-existent. Bind that tight to this next Mall makeover. And keep improving the side paths (which need it) after the air rights end. Actually filling in those SW Corridor air rights is going to be a multi-generational effort, but by improving the traffic calming at the crosswalks and improving the side paths you end up with an effective return circuit to downtown from Forest Hills and the Arboretum.

-- Should the rest of the Pike air rights get filled out before we're all dead, and should they get filled out in a way that extends the Crystal City-type thingy down to the Ink Block, look how close you now are to the Harborwalk. Granted, it's not going to be pretty to connect the last building on the corner of Albany through all this, but there is a lit sidewalk next to the 93S onramp that spans the Herald St.-W. Broadway block partially under the ramp overhang. Maybe send an overhead walkway from the last building across Albany to dump on that sidewalk (this would be the end of climate control), and do something to widen the sidewalk and make the underside of that viaduct a lot less scary.

The Harborwalk starts right there at W. Broadway. We know that someday--probably after SSX is done farting around with the track layout--they're going to do a North Bank-type pedestrian overpass over the train tracks to tie into Rolling Bridge Park and the post-USPS redevelopment of Dot Ave. We know that they're seeking gap-filler elsewhere on the small breaks that still exist in the Harborwalk. We also know it connects to the real Freedom Trail at the Navy Yard.

^^Can you imagine what kind of tourism and exhibition $$$$ this city would be pocketing if they could. . .
-- publish a "Boston by Trail" map given out for free everywhere
-- had a 'yellow brick road'/Freedom Trail-style type of fully intuitive wayfinding marking it all
-- connect ALL THAT mileage together with hardly any crossings of busy streets
-- provide a way to link a significant portion of it indoors to extend the tourist season through cold-but-not-snowy (i.e. Xmas) weather for people who don't mind being outside as long as it isn't all-or-nothing
-- promote the juxtapositions--nature! skyscrapers! the ocean! malls! Old Boston! New Boston!--for the variety of city life the network covers
-- promote it as a non-intimidating way for outsiders to take in the city's variety ("See all the city without crossing streets! Stick to the pathmarker and you'll never get lost or feel unsafe!"). Like, training-wheels urban exploration.

Wow. I mean, of course you are not going to be walking your bike through Copley Place or doing your daily Marathon training jog in there; 'aerobic' bipedal traffic is the one subset this linkage can't accommodate by the very nature of going through a busy shopping mall and convention center. But it can accommodate just about every other type of foot traffic. And we're literally 2 parcels of pending air rights development on the north end away from being able to do the most significant part of this [hits BRA with shovel for good measure]. Pretty much all of it except for the far more daunting 7 blocks to the Harborwalk end can be locked down within a year or two if the plans for the new towers at Mass Ave. can bake the connection out of Hynes Auditorium into their designs, and the public-private partnership over the Hynes station renovation can bake the station connection into that design.

The rest like healing and improving the Muddy Reservation out to the Arboretum, streetscaping related to the post-Bowker lane configuration on upper Boylston, tightening the bolts on SW Corridor Park's navigability...gets done with independent projects already in some degree of planning motion or other incremental bits. The interior wayfinding gets laid out during the next Mall cosmetic makeover.

Just apply the 'vision thing' cohesively to it all and don't fuck up or otherwise whiff on the connections through those 2 air rights parcels by the corner of Mass Ave. [hits BRA with shovel again] and we nailed it.

It's terrifying how close we are to nailing our own Crystal City that connects EVERYTHING to EVERYTHING, and yet nobody on the official end seems to acknowledge that. Do they even know what potential they're sitting on here?

One of the issues I see often, more so outside the city, is what should otherwise be a natural walking route suddenly just comes to a stop where a sidewalk becomes impassable or nonexistent. Either at an intersection or in front of vacant properties. And I am not talking about rural roads or even just secondary roads, but primary roads with housing, retail and commercial. Would be good to see a more systems approach to walk ability than the piece by piece approach. You can have miles of a great walking route really negatively impacted by 50 foot gaps and poor crossings.

Remind me again what is so bad about walking outside? The sun? The elements? Oh, the horror!

I would much rather see the city break up superblocks with real streets and avoid making the same mistakes in the future rather than try to bandaid the problem with a more malls and gerbil tubes.

Remind me again what is so bad about walking outside? The sun? The elements? Oh, the horror!

I would much rather see the city break up superblocks with real streets and avoid making the same mistakes in the future rather than try to bandaid the problem with a more malls and gerbil tubes.

Indoor connectivity does not replace outdoor walk-ability. And the connection F-Line and I are talking about span the Pike -- never going to be a "walkable" street. It is a transportation chasm.

BUT, all you have to do is think back to late January through March of last year and the indoor connectivity can be the difference of getting out at all versus not getting anywhere! Think of it as an augmentation to winter walking transportation. In nice weather I walk around Copley Place and the Pru. But in the winter, if it is really bad out, I walk through.

How soon we forget ;)

Indoor connectivity does not replace outdoor walk-ability. And the connection F-Line and I are talking about span the Pike -- never going to be a "walkable" street. It is a transportation chasm.

BUT, all you have to do is think back to late January through March of last year and the indoor connectivity can be the difference of getting out at all versus not getting anywhere! Think of it as an augmentation to winter walking transportation. In nice weather I walk around Copley Place and the Pru. But in the winter, if it is really bad out, I walk through.

How soon we forget ;)

Granted, some valid points there about walkability along the pike.

But let's not overemphasize the snow we saw last winter. That was a once-in-a-lifetime anomaly. Think about that for a second. You can be 99% certain that you have now seen the most snow you'll ever see in Boston for the rest of your life. Don't overly adjust your thinking about urbanism or transportation planning based on an outlier. Forgetting last winter is precisely what we should do.

Granted, some valid points there about walkability along the pike.

But let's not overemphasize the snow we saw last winter. That was a once-in-a-lifetime anomaly. Think about that for a second. You can be 99% certain that you have now seen the most snow you'll ever see in Boston for the rest of your life. Don't overly adjust your thinking about urbanism or transportation planning based on an outlier. Forgetting last winter is precisely what we should do.

I doubt that assertion is true. The records suggest that Boston snowfall is getting more intense in snowy years.
Per NOAA:

Top three record winters:
2014-15
1995-96
1993-94

Also in the top 10:
2004-05
1977-78
1992-93
2010-11

So 6 of the top 10 snowfall winters on record have occurred in the past 25 years. Sounds like a pattern to plan for.

What seems to be happening from the records is that when it is dry, it is a very dry, low snow winter. But when it is snowy we get clobbered. There is no such thing as average -- it is a bi-modal distribution.

No matter what, our winters don't really make for pleasant walking most of the time.

We seem to have 3 modes:
1) Very Cold and dry (Polar vortex dominates as in 2013-2014)
2) Cold and very snowy (Polar mixes with southern moisture as in 2014-2015)
3) El Nino (warm and extra precip, as expected this winter 2015-2016)

Some of the snow difference has to do with measurement changes. In the old days, they used to measure the snow after a snowfall so higher snow amounts measured lower than today due to snow packing in. Now, the snow totals are cleared regularly (hourly?) so there is no snow packing. So the same snowfall measures higher today than it did when I was a kid.

Back