Washington, D.C.

Matthew

Reaction score
After two trips there this year I have some thoughts...

There seems to be a lot of development around Metro stations. I know there's a height limit but even within that, you see brand new buildings that are 10 stories tall easily. A lot of the newer blocks seem quiet, or not filled out yet, for whatever reason. Too new, maybe.

There's also a lot going on around suburban Metro stations. I visited Rosslyn (Arlington), Alexandria, Reston, Bethesda and Rockville. Saw the new Silver Line extension under construction (and a test train running).

There's something strange about the new developments out there though. They don't seem to be contributing to street life. Maybe I'm not being fair; I did see some going up that look like they could produce a good ground floor activity level. But there's a pattern of development which I find really strange, although my friend is accustomed to it because he lives in it: isolated residential towers.

For example, he lives an 8 minute walk away from a Metro station, but that walk is across a nasty 4 lane road, and a bunch of parking lots. There's nothing around him except for greenspace and parking lots. It's a high-rise tower in a small ravine on the corner of a golf course (I think?) with a massive parking pedestal. 30 minute walk to a grocery store, he told me, and the main drag is one of those infamous American 8-lane stroads. But hey, there's a Metro station, so the rents are higher than what I pay in Boston.

My cousins live in a luxury condo in Reston, where there's a lot of high-rise construction going on. Again, the streetwall is largely blank or pocked by parking garage entrances. The station isn't built yet but there's a bus depot instead. And the "streets" are very wide. I didn't see anyone else walking there.

I find this pattern of development puzzling because the main reason for height is lack of land. But there's no lack of land in these locations. My friend tells me the land is very valuable there for other reasons, so maybe that's it. And maybe these highrises could be integrated into a more urban neighborhood in the future when it's more built out. But I don't see it happening with those giant stroads and parking garages everywhere.

I'd be curious if anyone else has experience there and comments on this. I feel like D.C. has some very beautiful, classic urban neighborhoods, and the new development is not living up to those standards, and may cause a backlash in the end.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The DC area looks great, on paper, at doing TOD around Metro stops over the recent years. But, much of it is truly fugly. Time will tell if these become urban neighborhoods, but they seem like they will forever be gateways to the suburbs beyond.

Did you walk around the U Street corridor? I was shocked going over there earlier this year - very very different than what I saw in the area while there 3 to 4 years prior.

8760653161_52f44df19a_c.jpg

One of the few pictures I took in the Spring, from the roof deck of DC9...

I went to a few bars and restaurants on U Street. I think what surprised me is the low intensity of development there considering the scene. At least, the older buildings were pretty low rise, even for DC, and the new stuff didn't seem that impressive. But I was only there for a few hours... maybe I missed something.

I think that the FAA has forbidden all buildings over 10 floors high. Even in the downtown area.

The tallest thing in Washington is the Washington Monument at just over 500 feet, which I finally got the chance to visit in 2011 - 2 weeks before the structure was damaged by a quake in Virginia!

Had & enjoyed the pleasure of going up to the top (obs deck) to look down! It was a nice warm sunny day in early August!

As far as I know, the structure is STILL closed, undergoing structural repairs.

Last edited:
Governments love Brutalism because making people feel miserable is what they're all about.

I knew the FBI would come in #1. I didn't remember HUD but after seeing that ugly lump I can see why the 1960s and 1970s were so fucking terrible for American cities.

Actually one of the aesthetic reasons for it's proliferation was that it was thought to represent strength and stability at a time when the nation was in turmoil during the 1960s and 1970s. These were grand plans and many saw these projects (like Government Center) to be the heralding of a new future. Just because it didn't turn out anything like that doesn't mean they were trying to oppress us; that is judging from hindsight with out context.

I thought these "pop-ups" were a pretty amazing inadvertent consequence of zoning... http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/2014/06/22/96a2222e-f307-11e3-9ebc-2ee6f81ed217_story.html

lead_large.jpg

Makes me wonder if form-based codes would better suit DC neighborhoods or whether there is intent in the code to allow the city to grow in density by allowing building upward.

I have studied, written about and presented on Form-Based Codes for a few years, from both a planning and legal perspective. I find them, in a general sense, to be remarkable ways to leverage the police power to achieve desired urban design outcomes. Beyond that, the term is pretty frustrating, because those who use it many times don't understand the concept, and those who do understand it often get bogged down in abstract academic points that preclude actual use of the tool -- what's the proper coding metric for bench height? Some of this stuff is an art rather than a science, and therefore trying to peg down every spec hardly ever works. After that rant, I will say that I think the pop up shown above is very cool, even if inappropriate from a classical design perspective. I had an urban design professor basically tell me, in response to my question of how the John Hancock Center in Boston seems to be such a successful landmark (or the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco) despite its/their clash with historical low rise surroundings, that the answer is "go big or go home." If you are, in other words, going to clash with the existing urban fabric, in order to do so well you should do so dramatically. Little departures here and there, like a huge setback for an otherwise bland building, do more harm to the urban environment than something that is totally out of place, like this sore thumb shown above. When things become so out of place that you can't help but look at them, the focus shifts toward the object in its individual sense instead of as a part of the larger whole.

Back