Washington Village | Andrew Square | South Boston

52321050269_daa8daae90_c.jpg
52321066945_2abc28e5ab_c.jpg

Anyone know what's going on at the former dunkin site across the st from this?

8 (to 16) floors is really a good sweet spot for more buildings to be hitting. 3-5 just isn't cutting it really to put a dent in housing.
Its my understanding that the 8-12 floor range on most sites just doesn't pencil as its full high-rise construction with concrete or steel but generally without the economies of scale or height to get premium view rents.

Its my understanding that the 8-12 floor range on most sites just doesn't pencil as its full high-rise construction with concrete or steel but generally without the economies of scale or height to get premium view rents.
This falls within that range and is 5 over 1 construction

Took me a minute to get oriented there - that core is in what used to be the D'Angelo's/Blockbuster parking lot, correct?

There was a Dunkin there. That core is not a part of the Washington Village development. Something different altogether.

Not a Dunkin here, Arena is correct it was blockbuster and D'Angelos and later a H+R Block. Cinderblock core is a different development than Washington Village

And nary a bike lane in site
I believe there's a plan to reduce dorchester street to 1 lane in each direction thats been on the board and I think approved for several years now... I'm not holding my breath at this point, the Andrew Square neighborhood association is has its head so far up its ass its hard to fathom. All they are concerned about it parking parking parking and traffic traffic traffic. This is what happens when 80% are renters under 40 and have been completely dissuaded from engaging in policy/local politics. We have 10 old lady's dictating everything-Its in a really bad place

I believe there's a plan to reduce dorchester street to 1 lane in each direction thats been on the board and I think approved for several years now... I'm not holding my breath at this point, the Andrew Square neighborhood association is has its head so far up its ass its hard to fathom. All they are concerned about it parking parking parking and traffic traffic traffic. This is what happens when 80% are renters under 40 and have been completely dissuaded from engaging in policy/local politics. We have 10 old lady's dictating everything-Its in a really bad place
Community engagement is mostly a myth. Sure, you can go to all the meetings, but the vast majority of citizens don't participate, for various reasons. That's why there needs to be a stronger and more progressive central government and policy in place. If everything is up to community meetings, the AARP troglodytes will fight you down on bike lanes, density and everything else. The "actual" problem is that these things shouldn't be up for discussion in the first place. Safe transportation planning and density should be written into the policy, and it's the deviations from that, not the implementation, that should be up for debate.

You can’t even really call these buildings paper-thin when they are in fact made of paper.

Back