Washington Village | Andrew Square | South Boston

Jeff -- how about the simple definition of what constitutes the lower part of Beacon Hill and when are you definitively in the Back Bay

Is it the corner of Arlington & Beacon? -- as it can't be Charles & Beacon -- since Acorn and Charles is definitively Beacon Hill

This might be starting up:
20201110_092915.jpg

Are you kidding me? Five years later, it's still a maybe, a possibly? Well, one can only hope, this is a terrific project.

Is it true that Southie is now the hot spot for 20-somethings with good paying jobs to party and live? I keep hearing it is like Boston's Hoboken or Murray Hill.

Is it true that Southie is now the hot spot for 20-somethings with good paying jobs to party and live? I keep hearing it is like Boston's Hoboken or Murray Hill.
it seems murray hill-ish, i guess. ive never been to hoboken but i recall murray hill 10+ years or so ago and it did not seem like a place with a ton of character, just kind of bland and 'affordable if you're young and paid well enough to live decently but aren't super rich' kind of vibe. certainly 100% devoid of anything bohemian. i always heard hoboken did have a lot of character but was gentrified like crazy. personally, i could see someone not from boston loving southie, and it has a lot of charm, but it's not a part of boston i could ever feel at home in, then or now. i like the more disorganized and organic feeling parts of town. north brookline, rozzie, jp, somerville, cambridge. no street grid, lots of trees, very diverse architecture. southie to me is just a little too orderly and there's too little shade on the streets.

it seems murray hill-ish, i guess. ive never been to hoboken but i recall murray hill 10+ years or so ago and it did not seem like a place with a ton of character, just kind of bland and 'affordable if you're young and paid well enough to live decently but aren't super rich' kind of vibe. certainly 100% devoid of anything bohemian. i always heard hoboken did have a lot of character but was gentrified like crazy. personally, i could see someone not from boston loving southie, and it has a lot of charm, but it's not a part of boston i could ever feel at home in, then or now. i like the more disorganized and organic feeling parts of town. north brookline, rozzie, jp, somerville, cambridge. no street grid, lots of trees, very diverse architecture. southie to me is just a little too orderly and there's too little shade on the streets.

I'd say that's a pretty spot-on description of Southie, as well. The bars and restaurants are all gastronomically unremarkable meat markets, there's not a ton of diversity, and it's one of the biggest neighborhoods in the metro without a single bookstore.

Anyway, I think the Seaport is usurping Southie as the preferred spot for 20-somethings with disposable income. So you spend your early 20s in a triple decker in Southie, hop across the channel to the Seaport in your late 20s, then celebrate your 30th birthday in Roslindale or Medford.

Last edited:
I'd say that's a pretty spot-on description of Southie, as well. The bars and restaurants are all gastronomically unremarkable meat markets, there's not a ton of diversity, and it's one of the biggest neighborhoods in the metro without a single bookstore.

Anyway, I think the Seaport is usurping Southie as the preferred spot for 20-somethings with disposable income. So you spend your early 20s in a triple decker in Southie, hop across the channel to the Seaport in your late 20s, then celebrate your 30th birthday in Roslindale or Medford.
The lack of a book store is a great observation. I don’t see the general demographic you described as graduating to either roslindale or medford, however. I think either staying in the city or moving out to the real burbs is the logical next step. And the more I think about this, I feel like there’s probably less movement from southie to seaport — the seaport is where people that have no problem living in big buildings live. I do think, in fairness to people that enjoy living in southie, it would be hard to give up the neighborhood vibe, bookstoreless though it may be, for towers of glass and steel.

The lack of a book store is a great observation. I don’t see the general demographic you described as graduating to either roslindale or medford, however. I think either staying in the city or moving out to the real burbs is the logical next step. And the more I think about this, I feel like there’s probably less movement from southie to seaport — the seaport is where people that have no problem living in big buildings live. I do think, in fairness to people that enjoy living in southie, it would be hard to give up the neighborhood vibe, bookstoreless though it may be, for towers of glass and steel.

Oh I definitely agree that, long term, they move to the real burbs. The Roslindale/Medford move is for when they want to buy a starter home and stay in an urban environment, but can't afford anything closer to the core. Five years or so there and then it's time for Needham or Melrose.

Southie also has comparatively terrible transit access (unless you happen to live close to Andrew or Broadway) and isn't a great place to bike.

Southie also has comparatively terrible transit access (unless you happen to live close to Andrew or Broadway) and isn't a great place to bike.
Walkable and very short bus ride-able to downtown and the Seaport. Doesn't even need transit for many, which is how this all started.

Back